Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Saracens V Connacht 18th January 13.35

More
10 years 8 months ago #24095

Forecast for Saturday lunchtime is around 9c and overcast, with a wee bit of rain thrown in. It's pretty much like that here now, pretty mild for a January in London to be honest. Should hopefully allow for a great game of rugby.

I can't give a forecast without ending: Malin Head to Mizen Head, fair, 1080, falling slowly.....

The following user(s) said Thank You: columoc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• swift4prez
  • swift4prez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #24115

friday night game effecting us, northampton vs castre.

castre have 9 players starting tommorrow that started at home vs leinster.
16 of the 23 were in the match day vs leinster. rory kockott is on the bench. good news for us

nothampton

Two changes have been made from the side which beat Ospreys in their penultimate pool game in Swansea on Sunday.
Lee Dickson comes in at scrum-half with Fa’atoina Autagavaia, who came on in the wins over Harlequins and the Ospreys, making his first start at full back.
Kahn Fotuali’i drops to the bench, with Gareth Denman and Ken Pisi returning to the match day squad.

• Rory McTiernan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #24116

We could badly do with a quality 2nd choice no9!! pretty light at 10 aswel Olly Barkley has recently been released from his contract what a signing he would be!! for Saracens I would go with 15.TOH/Leader 14 Carr 13 Henshaw 12 Griffin 11 Healy 10 Parks 9 Marmion 8 Mul/George 7 Heenan 6 Browne 4 Swifty 5 Clarke 1Wilkinson 2 JWH 3.Rodney

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
10 years 8 months ago #24118

Do people here think Rodney should start this game? He was savage against Saracens last time, now with the call up to Ireland squad he should be really hungry to step up even more. Plus it might aggravate White a bit and see some anger off the bench around 50 minutes.
Other than that I'd be pretty keen on Rory's team there except Carty for Parks, I was unconvinced of Muldoon at 8 in the past but if he and Browne go around the pitch tackling everything in sight it could be a good pick.
I'd also like to see Henshaw stepping in at 1st/2nd receiver against Saracens, mixing things up a bit more than Connacht have previously. I've said this before but I don't think Griffin is effective as a bosher but Henshaw could be and always looks for the offload.

More
10 years 8 months ago #24132

Hard 1 at 15 but TOH might be hungry and could put in a savage shift so put himself back in contention for a regular team place or indeed in the shop window.

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by FACECUTTR.

More
10 years 8 months ago #24136

Guys, We've not to believe in it beyond reason, the most probable scenario is a large Sarries victory (English 2011 champion!!!)... Would be happy with an honourable exit , with one or two tries

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by connachta.

• Zzippy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #24139

connachta wrote: Guys, We've not to believe in it beyond reason, the most probable scenario is a large Sarries victory (English 2011 champion!!!)... Would be happy with an honourable exit , with one or two tries

Get out! No room for sensible realism on this thread! :P

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
10 years 8 months ago #24140

connachta wrote: Guys, We've not to believe in it beyond reason, the most probable scenario is a large Sarries victory (English 2011 champion!!!)... Would be happy with an honourable exit , with one or two tries

I think a number of players will have learned a lot since the last time they played Saracens. I'd be a lot more confident if McSharry was at 12 but griff/henshaw at least have some experience together. We'll miss Poolman as well for sure. Connacht won't be able to catch Saracens out with a kicking game this time, I hope there are some good preplanned stuff in the back pocket, a return to the maul perhaps, anything to catch them offguard and put Saracens on the back foot. They've some very good individuals but I don't think their pack is any great shakes (unless they were missing some key players the last time around?) and their backs are pretty one paced (not that Connacht have been putting together back moves for the laugh but they've shown glimpses).

More
10 years 8 months ago #24141

they were missing their first choice 6 and 7 against Toulouse and it showed, hopefully neither will be back from injury in time for the weekend

The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla

More
10 years 8 months ago #24147

Zzippy wrote:

Get out! No room for sensible realism on this thread! :P

You know what? Instead of being shocked, I'm delighted with your reaction... Come on let's kick our own asses and see what could happen! :woohoo:

Anyway, as it was implied by many of us, the solution will be the backs, mobility and kicking game.. that's why I'd prefer a Carty/Ronaldson pair than a Parks/Griff one

More
10 years 8 months ago #24163

Cant wait for this game. All the right noise seems to be coming from the camp.
Really excited to see the team named this afternoon.
I think Clarke is going to have a Paul O'Connell vs Quins style game tomorrow.

COME ON CONNACHT

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #24166

Ze team:

15. Gavin Duffy
14. Fionn Carr
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Eoin Griffin
11. Matt Healy
10. Dan Parks
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
2. Sean Henry
3. Nathan White
4. Michael Swift
5. Craig Clarke (captain)
6. Andrew Browne
7. Jake Heenan
8. John Muldoon

Replacements:

16. Jason Harris-Wright
17. Denis Buckley
18. Rodney Ah You
19. Mick Kearney
20. George Naoupu
21. Paul O’Donohoe
22. Darragh Leader
23. Tiernan O’Halloran

Unavailable/Injured: Eoin McKeon, Dave Nolan, Willie Faloon, Dave
McSharry, Danie Poolman, Miah Nikora, and Kyle Tonetti.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
10 years 8 months ago #24167

ummm, wrote: Ze team:

15. Gavin Duffy
14. Fionn Carr
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Eoin Griffin
11. Matt Healy
10. Dan Parks
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
2. Sean Henry
3. Nathan White
4. Michael Swift
5. Craig Clarke (captain)
6. Andrew Browne
7. Jake Heenan
8. John Muldoon

Replacements:

16. Jason Harris-Wright
17. Denis Buckley
18. Rodney Ah You
19. Mick Kearney
20. George Naoupu
21. Paul O’Donohoe
22. Darragh Leader
23. Tiernan O’Halloran

Unavailable/Injured: Eoin McKeon, Dave Nolan, Willie Faloon, Dave
McSharry, Danie Poolman, Miah Nikora, and Kyle Tonetti.

Leader or Duffy back up 10??

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by GTTC.

More
10 years 8 months ago #24168

I like the look of the pack, hopefully Muldoon can have a good game at 8. Craig Ronaldson is a notable omission from both lists, what's going on there? We need a big game from Duffy, worried about having Leader and O'Halloran on the bench.

"Our march is quite slow y'know, when we get to where we want to get to, it's going to take time, but when we get there it's going to be fantastic." - Johnny O'Connor 2013

More
10 years 8 months ago #24169

Swifty musty be starting ahead of Kearney for a bit more strength in the pack.

Should see Rodders, George and Mick early in the second half.

We need an early score to have a chance. Hopefully Dan can knock over an early drop goal.
I'd love to see us starting the game. Deep kick. Put them under pressure in their own 22. Get a line out, inside their ten meter line. Win the line out. Get play into their 22, and be up 3-0 within the first 5 minutes.

Damn it, I have the whole match played out in my head.
No stupid knock ons or easy penalties

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)

More
10 years 8 months ago #24170

And we have 4 players who can play 15 in the squad, Duffy, Henshaw, TOH, Leader.

logo