• Borders no.2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #21352

Rabo Direct Pro 12 Round 6
Leinster v Connacht Saturday 26th October 18.45
On TV: RTE Two

Connacht travel to the RDS on Saturday evening to take on defending Pro 12 Champions Leinster. Connacht will be looking to build on a couple of encouraging Heineken Cup displays and record their first victory in the capital since a last gasp Mark McHugh handed Connacht an unlikely victory in 2002. While victory is unlikely Connacht need to build on the positives of the last two weeks and build momentum for the months ahead. Leinster started their Heineken Cup campaign with two hard fought wins and having endured a difficult early set of fixtures in the Pro 12 will look to continue their momentum here.

Leinster Stats
Founded: 1879
Ground: RDS
Capacity: 18,500
Captain: Leo Cullen
Coach: Matt O'Connor

Rabo Direct Pro12 League Position 2013/14: P:5 Pts:14
2012/13: Winners (Beat Ulster 24-18 in the Pro 12 Final) Regular Season Position 2nd Points:78
Heineken Cup: 2nd in Pool 5 Points: 20
Amlin Challenge Cup: Winners (Beat Stade Francais in the final 34-13)

Recent Results
Ospreys 9 - 19 Leinster (HC)
Leinster 19 - 7 Castres (HC)

Next Fixture:
Friday 1st November 2013 19.05 Dragons v Leinster @ Rodney Parade

Heineken Cup (Pool 1) (Current Standings)
Leinster 8
Northampton 5
Castres 4
Ospreys 0

Achievements
Heineken Cup Winners: 3 (2009, 2011, 2012)

Amlin European Challenge Cup Winners: 1 (2013)

PRO12 (Formerly known as Celtic League / Magners League) Winners: 3 (2002, 2008, 2013)

British & Irish Cup Winners: 1 (2013)

Irish Inter-Provincial Championships Winners: 20

Players In 13/14
Mike McCarthy from Connacht
Jimmy Gopperth from Newcastle Falcons
Zane Kirchner from Bulls
Lote Tuqiri from West Tigers

Players Out
Fionn Carr to Connacht
Tom Sexton to Melbourne Rebels
Jonathan Sexton to Racing Metro
Andrew Conway to Munster
Heinke van der Merwe to Stade Français
Jamie Hagan to London Irish
Damian Browne to Oyonnax
Mark Flanagan to Stade Montois, Mont De Marsan
David Doyle (Retired)
Eoin O'Malley (Retired)
Isa Nacewa (Retired)

Previous Meetings

Saturday 29th December Rabo Direct Pro 12: Leinster 17-0 Connacht

www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/2229.php

Friday 28th September Rabo Direct Pro 12: Connacht 34-6 Leinster

www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/2412.php

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Borders no.2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: connolly, Porterbelly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Borders no.2
  • Borders no.2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #21353

Finally got it right after a few weeks where it wouldn't post on the thread for me, factfile for Leinster v Connacht above.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connolly, Decadence

More
10 years 10 months ago #21354

Probably see Kirchner's debut

Worrying thing for me is I would say Madigan will be starting at 10 and will be keen to make a big impression.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21355

over the last couple of seasons we've actually managed to play quite well in the 1st half and get off to a good start against Leinster at the RDS, our second half performances have let us down. They'll probably make a raft of changes after the Heineken Cup and we've got a stable team mainly down to limited player availability.

With the way qualification for the revamped Heineken Cup is rumoured to be setup then we really need to be moving up the table fast.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #21357

After last season I just want to see us get on the board in an away interpro!

Justice 4 Faruk

More
10 years 10 months ago #21364

LEINSTER TEAM TO FACE CONNACHT...The Leinster team to face Connacht in Saturday evening's RaboDirect PRO12 clash in the RDS (KO: 6.45pm) has been named... TICKETS ON SALE ON THE GATE...The management have opted to freshen things up for the visit of Connacht following the squad's exertions over the last fortnight.
Luke Fitzgerald starts at outside centre in a new midfield partnership alongside Noel Reid for the interprovincial clash. Fitzgerald will make his 113th appearance for the province and he is joined in the backline by fellow Ireland internationals Ian Madigan and Eoin Reddan who form a new half-back partnership this weekend.
Michael Bent will make his first start this season in a front row which includes Sean Cronin and Jack McGrath, who was called up to the Ireland squad for the November series earlier this week. McGrath is one of two uncapped players in the pack alongside Quinn Roux and the team will again be led by Jamie Heaslip who continues in the back-row alongside Kevin McLaughlin and the in-form Sean O'Brien.
Shane Jennings has recovered from injury to take his place on a strong-looking replacements bench which includes the likes of Isaac Boss, Jimmy Gopperth, Mike McCarthy and South African international Zane Kirchner for the first time since his recent arrival.
Tickets sales for Saturday's match are approaching the 16,000 mark and are on sale now ONLINE HERE, Active Sports (Blackrock), Spar (Donnybrook) as well as Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.
There will be specially themed Halloween events taking place around the ground pre match on Saturday including a Haunted House, trick or treat giveaways, vouchers and prizes for the best adult, family and fancy dress costume. Events will start at 5pm when gates open and game kick-off is at 6.45pm. Adult tickets are priced at €30, children's tickets €10 and a family of four can gain admission for just €70.
The Official Leinster Supporters Club (OLSC) can confirm the following international coverage of the game this weekend:

UK & Ireland - Live on RTE2 from 6.45pm Saturday
Radio - Live on RTE Radio 1.

LEINSTER:
15: Rob Kearney
14: Fergus McFadden
13: Luke Fitzgerald
12: Noel Reid
11: Dave Kearney
10: Ian Madigan
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Jack McGrath
2: Sean Cronin
3: Michael Bent
4: Devin Toner
5: Quinn Roux
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Sean O'Brien
8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:
16: Aaron Dundon
17: Jack O'Connell
18: Martin Moore
19: Mike McCarthy
20: Shane Jennings
21: Isaac Boss
22: Jimmy Gopperth
23: Zane Kirchner

REFEREE: David Wilkinson (IRFU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Mark Patton, Barrie O'Connell (both IRFU), 4th OFFICIAL: Gary Conway (Leinster Rugby Referees), 5th OFFICIAL: Gareth Crawford (Leinster Rugby Referees), TMO: Alan Rogan (IRFU)

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by swift4prez.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21365

Connacht team to face Leinster
25th October 2013

Connacht Rugby travel across the country to Dublin this weekend to play provincial rivals Leinster in Round 6 of the RaboDirect PRO12.

There are three changes to the team that defeated Zebre 33 – 6 in last week’s Heineken Cup encounter.

Danie Poolman, who was forced to withdraw late this week due to a tight hamstring, is replaced on the right wing by Tiernan O’Halloran.

Mayo-man Gavin Duffy returns to full back, replacing the injured James So’oialo.

Up front, Andrew Browne moves to the bench and makes way for last week’s try scorer Mata Fifita at blindside flanker.

On the bench, hooker Dave Heffernan is in line to make his first senior appearance in the number 2 jersey. Utility back Daragh Leader is another addition to the match day squad. The 20-year-old from Galway made his first senior appearance away to Ospreys this time last year.

Head Coach Pat Lam commented on the team selection and the upcoming game:

“It’s been a pretty disruptive week with injuries and we’ve lost more players with none coming back into the frame. So once again, we’ve had to dig deep into our resources.

“With James and Danie injured in the backs, we’ve lost our cover at outside centre. And so young Daragh Leader comes on to the bench after impressing for the Eagles last weekend. He’s been a big part of our training squad in recent weeks.

“Up front, Mata replaces Andrew Browne at six. Browney was unable to train fully this week due to a few knocks he picked up in the last game. But thankfully, with all the injuries we have to the back row, he recovered sufficiently to take his place on the bench.

“Dave Heffernan comes in as cover for hooker and this is a huge opportunity for him to make his mark.

“Coming up against Leinster at the RDS – it doesn’t get much bigger than that. The current Rabo champions, they’ve been consistently the best team in Europe for the last number of years. Full of internationals, we know their players will be out to stake a claim ahead of the November series. We know what we’re up against.

“But these are the type of games you relish and we can’t wait for the challenge. We have trained well on the back of a good win in the Heineken Cup and of course we have a plan to execute in order to give us the best opportunity to beat this team.”

Connacht line-up v Leinster

15. Gavin Duffy
14. Tiernan O’Halloran
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Craig Ronaldson
11. Matt Healy
10. Dan Parks
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
2. Sean Henry
3. Rodney Ah You
4. Michael Swift (captain)
5. Craig Clarke
6. Mata Fifita
7. Jake Heenan
8. George Naoupu

Replacements:

16. Dave Heffernan
17. JP Cooney
18. Ronan Loughney
19. Aly Muldowney
20. Andrew Browne
21. Paul O’Donohoe
22. Darragh Leader
23. Fionn Carr

Unavailable/Injured: Willie Faloon, Conor Finn, Eoin Griffin, Jason Harris-Wright, Eoin McKeon, Shane Layden, John Muldoon, Miah Nikora, Danie Poolman, Peter Reilly, James So’oialo, Kyle Tonetti, and Nathan White

Leinster v Connacht
At RDS Dublin, 6.45pm
Live on RTE Sport
Referee: David Wilkinson (IRFU, 23rd competition game)

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
10 years 10 months ago #21367

Two strong teams, I'd be a bit happier if McSharry was playing but better to ease him back in. Ronaldson has done well at 12 so far, would like to see him move up to 10 later in the game and bring on Leader. Will take a serious shift from our backrow to quieten/disrupt theirs.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21370

VERY worried, as Pat is.. Except 2nd and back row, we're outclassed on the paper

12. Craig Ronaldson
11. Matt Healy
3. Rodney Ah You
6. Mata Fifita
16. Dave Heffernan
17. JP Cooney
22. Darragh Leader

Are all "Eagles"

15. Gavin Duffy
10. Dan Parks

Are too slow for Leinster, and played too many matches as 33+ guys, since August

We've 4 International standard players (13, 9, 7, and 5), Leinstermen have at least 14 out of 23...

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by connachta.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21371

connachta wrote: VERY worried, as Pat is.. Except 2nd and back row, we're outclassed on the paper

12. Craig Ronaldson
11. Matt Healy
3. Rodney Ah You
6. Mata Fifita
16. Dave Heffernan
17. JP Cooney
22. Darragh Leader

Are all "Eagles"

15. Gavin Duffy
10. Dan Parks

Are too slow for Leinster, and played too many matches as 33+ guys, since August

We've 4 International standard players (13, 9, 7, and 5), Leinstermen have at least 14 out of 23...

I think that's very harsh on a few of our players with your assessment there connachta.

Ronaldson, Fifta, Healy and Rodney may have come from humble beginnings but I certainly wouldn't put them in the Eagles category at this stage especially all having done well at HC level.

Leader and Heffernan have been getting rave reviews so IMO deserve a crack given the injury status.

Swifty is getting on a bit, fair enough, but his job in the team is not to run fast, it's to hit anything that move and hard, a job he does well. Duffy seems to be coming back into a bit form and Parks was immense against Sarries and clinical against Zebre (perhaps a little too clinical). I agree the amount of mins they are racking up isn't great but is down to lack of options.

The Leinster bench is just ridiculous, coupled with our injury list, the worry for me would be we could make a game of this for 60mins and through tiredness let them run away with it in the last quarter of the game.

One thing I am looking forward to though is Heenan against SoB. That's going to be such a good contest.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connolly, Sol_ie, phatguerilla

More
10 years 10 months ago #21374

we need to protect the ball with Sean O'Brien playing but if we can get the upper hand at scrum and lineouts this game will be a lot closer than it looks on paper. their back 3 in the forwards and their backs look to have the upperhand but overall we have a better balance in the backline, Ronaldson will need a big game as Madigan will be raring to go and will look to attack the inside channel.

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
10 years 10 months ago #21375

I would much prefer to see Andrew Browne in at blindside and Mata at 8. I honestly haven't see the form from George to justify his continued selection. We all know he's quality but...

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
10 years 10 months ago #21376

Is it reasonable to expect we can get the upper hand in the lineout? They have 4 genuine, established line out options and two halves (sob and roux). We have two real options and three halves (heenan swift and fafita). To me putting browne and muldowney on the bench suggests connacht might avoid line outs if possible for the first 50-60 and then perhaps begin to compete in the last quarter against tired opposition. Jennings on the bench most likely means 50 minutes for sob and mccarthy will come on for roux I expect, meaning their options should remain fairly consistent and if in the lead should be in a strong position to close out the game. Just some guesses.

Also although our backs are a little cobbled together at least ronaldson and henshaw have some game time together, unlike reid/fitz. Glad to see TOH back he's looked dangerous so far this season needs to put in a big shift tomorrow.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21377

Wonder what gameplan Pat has in mind for this. No point kicking high balls on top of their back 3 as they're all very capable in the air. Browne and Muldowney on the bench suggests we're not going after their lineout. Duffy and Parks both starting inhibits us running the ball from deep.

Very strong Leinster team, arguably the strongest we've faced in years. George needs a massive game at 8.

Only real weakness I see in the Leinster team is in midfield. I would have liked to have seen McSharry at 12 because he made bits of Reid in Galway last year. Reid isn't a good defender so maybe we can hit Henshaw on crash balls at 12. I would also like to see Mata sent up his channel as well. This is where we could get the most joy.

Very hard to see us winning this or even getting an LBP, and with Glasgow up next week we could be staring at rock bottom. Really need to front up tomorrow night.

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Porterbelly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: connachta

More
10 years 10 months ago #21378

Browne is on the bench since he couldn't train properly this week. Makes sense to me.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21379

I knew I was harsh, because I simplified my views. My point is about lack of regular high level references when I said "Eagles". Don't forget Ah You was still highly criticised three weeks ago, isn't an obvious TH, Ronaldson is not a 12, Fafita was n°13 one year ago, n°8 before, and now n°6, Duffy hasn't made a clean break for a while and was outplayed agaisnt Ospreys, etc..

Ok they all have done well in HCup, but what I pointed out is a global tendency, it's too soon or too late to rely with insurance on these players. I think everyone here would be a lot more confident with White, Buckley, JHW, Browne and/or Faloon (and Heenan as 6 in this case), Mc Keon, Griff, Mc Sharry, Poolman..
That's our real 1st team, the other one will probably not string together 3 good games in a row (don't forget Treviso disaster). And Leinster is not at all the same beast than Zebre, half of our missed tackles will be tries, half of our late arrivals in rucks will be turnovers

Really hope I'm wrong guys, I'm not that pessimistic usally

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by connachta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla

logo