Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Leinster v Connacht Saturday 26th October 18.45

More
10 years 10 months ago #21473

Our forwards were excellent. Heenan again the standout, he was everywhere in defence. Rodney locked out the scrum and because he offers some good carries around the park, he should be challenging White for the 3 jersey.

Our backs weren't good enough in attack and didn't offer much. Ronaldson has done well but he's not good enough attacking wise and we need to see McSharry back asap to give us go forward in midfield. Duffy should be dropped at this stage and maybe put TOH at 15 with Poolman back on the wing hopefully for next week.

Some of the refereeing decisions were shocking. But we need to have the composure to close out these games and it was Duffy who set the wheels in motion for Leinster to get the territory to put the pressure on with that poor drop of a high ball. Just inexcusable really.

A win next week is imperative. Glasgow will probably be weakened with call ups and we have to take full advantage. Win or bust really in terms of the league. After that we have Scarlets home and Embra away who will both be hit hard by call ups. It's time for us to make hay now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21474

Clarke made a stupid infrigement just before HT too..

At least 1 point lost tonight, 1 'gainst Cardiff 1 'gainst Ulster (1 meter from their line at the end), 1 against Ospreys... 4 points very achievable with other referies and little more focus/density

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #21475

Not going to talk about the ref as I'd be here all night. Was very impressed with Heffernan when he came on. Last year his throwing was doggerel but he's clearly worked at it and was impressive with his throws and his work around the park was fantastic.

As for Ah You I've chewed him out of it a few times so it's only fitting I give him credit when he deserves it as he had another great game and has gone from being a liability to a good player who gives us options in the front row.

Parks did well but it was a bad miss and he seems to be dis-improving had than getting better. Shame Leader didn't get a run but makes sense with it being such a tight game. Marmion was superb and I think it was a harsh decision on him with the yellow. Cooney also did well. People keep talking about Moore but Cooney was holding his own with him until the second yellow which completely depowered our scrum. Lots of positives but now we need to back it up with points on the board.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers
The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla

More
10 years 10 months ago #21477

connachta wrote: Clarke made a stupid infrigement just before HT too..

At least 1 point lost tonight, 1 'gainst Cardiff 1 'gainst Ulster (1 meter from their line at the end), 1 against Ospreys... 4 points very achievable with other referies and little more focus/density

I would disgaree, having watched the replay the ref gave him no chance to roll away

He said roll away green and straight away blew up for Clarke without giving him a chance to roll as he was stuck.

I thought Clarke played well again tonight. I think the workrate of both he and Heenan in defence has really improved us in this department. We are not stretched as much or mismatches aren't created because everyone is working extremely to get back on their feet into the defensive line.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21478

Anyway no need to take risks 45 meters from the line especially with an away ref, whereas HT was there.. Just step back and wait for the knock on

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by connachta.

• Borders no.2
  • Borders no.2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 10 months ago #21479

Stop with the ref bashing please. Looking back this is the 5th game out of 8 where we have failed to score in the 2nd half. Following on from last season in the two interpros this season we scored early and failed to add to our total in the final 60-65-70 minutes. Against Cardiff, we got an early try and our other 3 points came from a ridiculous penalty awarded for a crooked feed. Against Treviso we got a pathetic total of 3 points.

That is the issue we should be looking to address. We didn't get some key decisions tonight but if we keep blaming the ref and ignoring our failings we are fooling ourselves. Until we keep the scoreboard ticking games and start getting the basics right in the key stages of the matches we will continue to be also rans.

I hate saying it but for all the progress of the past few years it is still the harsh reality.

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Borders no.2.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21480

I thought Loughney was carded for a team offense, I think that he had made up his mind that the next Connacht pen was also going to be a YC.

Couldn't understand why reddan was never pulled for any of the not straights and why no YC when Leinster killed the ball on the try line, that's what cards are for.

Leinster fans thought he was crap too.

Its still a few basic mistakes that we get punished for all the time. we work really hard to get up the pitch then one mistake and we lose 60m.

would have settled for a lbp at the start but this was one that we let slip through our fingers.

Pity really, a win here would have done us the world of good and hopefully we can kick on anyway.

Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door.

Connacht Clan– Sales and Sponsorship
Email: peterg@connachtclan.com

• connachtcl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #21481

It's hard to know where to start with this game, there's so much to talk about. So disappointed even though I felt that we were going lose it all along.

First of all, I'll give my opinion on why we didn't deserve to win this game. The second half. Every fecking time we got the ball we gave it straight back to them. This was epitomised when we won the scrum penalty (after around 60 minutes I think), kicked to touch and lost the lineout. Straight away, they're back in our 22 after working so hard to get out. You just can't do that.

The two yellow cards were fair in my opinion. Loughney was penalised for team fouling, even though he just got on the pitch doesn't mean we should get away with previous pens. Marmion's yellow was fair as well. He had such a good game before that, which makes it so much more disappoitging. He really showed he is streets ahead of Reddan (can't believe Reddan is in the Irish squad).

Some of the calls the ref made at the breakdown were unbelievable though, Quinny said it himself after the match (even though Shaggy was quick to dismiss it, of course as a Leinster man). The pens for not releasing against Tiernan in the first half and Healy in the second half were two of the most f*****g ridiculous penalties I have ever seen. Jesus f*****g Christ, those are two of the worst decisions I have seen in my rugby watching career, talk about a ref looking to give a penalty before it even happens.

Impressed with Clarke, Heenan, Marmion and Ronaldson, thought they were all quality, but I can't see Ronaldson at 10, don't think he has the quality. Duffy was awful but I wouldn't trust TOH at 15 either. Wouldn't mid seeing Henshaw back there, or maybe James O' Connor if he's good enough!

Overall I find it hard to complain about losing it because we didn't do enough going forward. How many people will take a point away from the RDS though? Sure we could have won, but fuck it if we're getting a bonus point away from Leinster and Castres can't even do that so I think we'll be okay. Chin up lads, I have been disappointed in Lam but I think we are starting to play some decent rugger.

p.s. How much of a p***k is Donal Lenihan? Cannot stand that guy. Such a condescending p***k. Maybe he could have commentated on that game if he was't creaming his pants every time time Leinster did something half decent or Connacht did something wrong.

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by sea_point. Reason: Obvious reasons really..

• OldSchool
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #21482

Our kick chase was poor tonight but we were playing against one of the best teams in Europe. We missed too many tackles, the line out was poor it was about 50% and again when we get to the 5 meters we could not convert. Our try was a lucky one and great persistence by Marmion, from the other two chances we got zero. There are a lot of guys that have played in the 8 games so far and that is taking its toll. Time to get McSharry back at 12, Poolman 13, Robbie 15, Carr 14 or try out some of the academy lads

More
10 years 10 months ago #21488

I thought it was a good game of rugby. The ref was okay IMO. The two decisions I found questionable were the scrum penalty against Heenan in first half which cost 3 pts and tone not rolling away call on Clarke. The others were penalties IMO. Marmion was unlucky but on your own try line its a yellow card. It hurts but it was inevitable that it ended the way it did.

• illplaybymyself
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #21491

I think this game has a different feel to all those gallant efforts we have seen so far. We showed we can compete with a fairly full strength squad. In the past we have been playing second string sides and now it seems we are been taken seriously.

I understand people giving out about not scoring in the second half and how we are not going to win games like that but you have to look at it the other way to. We only conceded a penalty try in the second half and that will see us home in most games we play this year

On a side note, anyone else think Lam played run from everywhere rugby in the first rabbo games all with an eye on getting one over on the sarries and it was almost a stroke of genius. Anyway after watching these last 3 games I'm filled with optimism for the rest of the season. Something special is comming, watch this space .......

More
10 years 10 months ago #21496

illplaybymyself wrote: I think this game has a different feel to all those gallant efforts we have seen so far. We showed we can compete with a fairly full strength squad. In the past we have been playing second string sides and now it seems we are been taken seriously.

I understand people giving out about not scoring in the second half and how we are not going to win games like that but you have to look at it the other way to. We only conceded a penalty try in the second half and that will see us home in most games we play this year

<strong>On a side note, anyone else think Lam played run from everywhere rugby in the first rabbo games all with an eye on getting one over on the sarries and it was almost a stroke of genius.</strong> Anyway after watching these last 3 games I'm filled with optimism for the rest of the season. Something special is comming, watch this space .......

Starting to think that

Or else he came in with his eyes firmly wide shut and is now playing a gameplan that suits our players more instead of the other way round.

I think he has moulded the forwards to be extremely competitive in all facets of the game. Clarke and Heenan have added hugely to this too. Missing 3 front row players yesterday, if we had them on the bench, Leinster would not have gone to town on us in the scrum.

I think we are turning the corner. Our scrum and breakdown in particular have really improved. A win next week will confirm that we're on the right road.

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Porterbelly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mahick

More
10 years 10 months ago #21499

agree with Porterbelly and illplaybymyself above. There's a co-ordinated team coming together- very hopeful that they'll finish the job v Glasgow. Team spirit looked very high for all 80 mins last night. Feel very optimistic with reason...

• Darragh507
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #21514

Matt o connor having a moan that we played no rugby and dint deserve to win the game

What a wanker. Hope they have a shite season and he gets the bullet.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21517

Pat Lam answers rugby is attack AND defence

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by connachta.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
10 years 10 months ago #21518

Our stats from the Leinster Game..

Heenean top tackler again made and one missed. More impressive though is Sean Henry's, given he was only on for a half he made 12 tackles and no misses.... :whistle:

Our possession figures don't compare with Leinsters, but they wouldn't do in any other home team/away team comparable especially one at the top of any league against one at the bottom.

O'Connor should be bigging up his defence instead of accusing us of not playing, we tried to play to a game-plan that would keep us competitive. We played a territory game, which was the tactically astute thing to do and he's talking out of his backside if he disagrees. Let's see what game-plan they employ when they head down to Castres shall we. Guarantee you it'll be Gopperth sitting in the pocket kicking Leinster into the corners just like we did to them.

Anyway the stats show that our carriers were more efficient than theirs, they only made 2.5m per carry while ours were closer to 5m. Given the possession mismatch we matched them in most phases when you do the % breakdown for each area. Only are we fell behind is winning our rucks, we weren't as efficient as them (although that could indicate that the referee was more lenient to Shane Jennings than to Heenan,)

I wouldn't worry about the 22 missed tackles so much with such a huge volume of tackles to be made, against we match Leinster when you do the % comparison, hey missed and equal % of theirs....

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

logo