Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht vs Cardiff Sept 1st 17:00

Poll: Are you going to the match

Yes
25 78.1%
No
7 21.9%
Total number of voters: 32 ( FACECUTTR, Woody, rossie, Connachtman, N17 ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9471

Connacht announce XV to take on Cardiff Blues in the opening round of the RaboDirect PRO12 league

Connacht Rugby have announced the starting XV that will take on the Cardiff Blues in the opening round of the RaboDirect PRO12 tomorrow at the Sportsground.

Gavin Duffy will lead his side out, having been announced as captain for a second year running. The 6’2 former Mayo Minor footballer has 10 Irish caps and was called up to the Ireland squad during the summer tour to New Zealand. Duffy is supported on the wings by last season regulars Fetu’u Vainikolo and Tiernan O’Halloran while the dynamic centre partnership of Mata Fifita and Eoin Griffin complete the backline.

Kieran Marmion will gain his first cap for Connacht at scrum half. Kieran started in the preseason friendly against Harlequins and also played a pivotal role for Ireland at the IRB Junior World Championship, starting four of their five games en route to a highest ever finish of fifth.

Another regular from last season is out half Miah Nikora who got a good run out in both pre-season friendlies in August.

Connacht have plenty of experience amongst the starting forwards. John Muldoon, Mike McCarthy, and Johnny O’Connor have almost 450 caps between them while Michael Swift holds the record with this his 220th cap for the Province. Ronan Loughney, with 105 caps, provides plenty more experience with George Naoupu , Denis Buckley and Ethienne Reynecke completing the firepower of the forwards.

In the past two seasons both Connacht and Cardiff Blues have begun with an opening weekend victory and tomorrow both sides will endeavour to hold on to that record.

It’s been a summer of change for Cardiff Blues with a number of senior players such as Martyn Williams, Xavier Rush and Deiniol Jones retiring from the game and a new exciting crop of youngsters coming through.

Director of Rugby, Eric Elwood, is looking forward to kicking off with the new season. “All the pre-season training has led to this point and we can’t wait to get going.”

KO is at 5pm at the Sportsground.

Connacht XV

15. Gavin Duffy (Captain)

14. Tiernan O’Halloran

13. Eoin Griffin

12. Mata Fifita

11. Fetu’u Vainikolo

10. Miah Nikora

9. Kieran Marmion

1. Denis Buckley

2. Ethienne Reynecke

3. Ronan Loughney

4. Michael Swift

5. Mike McCarthy

6. John Muldoon

7. Johnny O’Connor

8. George Naoupu

Replacements (from):

16. Adrian Flavin

17. Rodney Ah You

18. Finlay Bealham

19. Dave Gannon

20. Willie Faloon

21. David Moore

22. Matthew Jarvis

23. Robbie Henshaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9474

Thoughts on the team.

1. It shows how useless the deadsite is I think most of us still thought Griffin for example was still injured. How hard is it to do an up to date injury report?

2. Surprised that Marmion got picked in front of Moore. I rate Marmion highly but it doesn't say alot about EE's opinion of Moore if he's on the bench.

3. Fafita's in action and I'm excited to see him play. Dido Henshaw if he gets picked.

Can't wait to see this tomorrow!

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9475

Interesting going with the Fifita pick in the centre, I guess Eric sees him as a direct Henry replacement, bit of bosh up the middle and (hopefully) create space for Grico. Really glad to see Grico is starting and that reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

Can't fault the pack and looking forward to seeing Faloon make his debut.

Well, I say, 'seeing', but I'll be listening on't radio.

Justice 4 Faruk

• ConnachtCows
  • ConnachtCows's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9476

connachtexile wrote: Thoughts on the team.

1. It shows how useless the deadsite is I think most of us still thought Griffin for example was still injured. How hard is it to do an up to date injury report?

2. Surprised that Marmion got picked in front of Moore. I rate Marmion highly but it doesn't say alot about EE's opinion of Moore if he's on the bench.

3. Fafita's in action and I'm excited to see him play. Dido Henshaw if he gets picked.

Can't wait to see this tomorrow!

Why would they report something if its not true? Seems like arguing for the sake of arguing to me.
Why keep an up to date injury chart in public. Other teams would then know who they need to concern themselves with, and who to ignore

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9477

Interesting team and squad and i 2nd exiles comments above.

I hope parks arrival has focussed miah on his kicking duties. He imp roved in latter games last season but was poor from tee before xmas. It probably will decide the game. If hes consistant from tee connacht will win.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9478

Cows- almost all other teams announce players injured list when releasing squad selections
Its the norm these days.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9479

Blooos:

15. Dan Fish 14. Harry Robinson 13.Gavin Evans 12. Gareth Davies 11. Tom James 10. Ceri Sweeney 9. Lewis Jones

8. Andries Pretorius (c) 7. Josh Navidi 6. Rory Watts- Jones 5. James Down 4. Robin Copeland 3. Taufa'ao Filise 2. Andi Kyriacou 1. Thomas Davies

16. Rhys Williams 17. Beniot Borrust 18. Nathan Trevett 19. Lou Reed 20. Luke Hamilton 21. Lloyd Williams 22. Cory Allen 23. Tom Williams 24. Owen Williams

I think I know about 6 players on that team.

Justice 4 Faruk

• ConnachtCows
  • ConnachtCows's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9482

rossie wrote: Cows- almost all other teams announce players injured list when releasing squad selections
Its the norm these days.

What I'm arguing, is that Griffin isnt injured, so why would expect anything to be announced about him. As for listing injured players, Connacht do that sometime in the Press Release. Just didnt do it today. I'm not sure what the branch did wrong, and why the website is being blamed here. Yes, I'd prefer if the website had more articles and was updated more often, but I dont want to see gossip up there either

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9483

ummm, wrote: Interesting going with the Fifita pick in the centre, I guess Eric sees him as a direct Henry replacement, bit of bosh up the middle and (hopefully) create space for Grico. Really glad to see Grico is starting and that reports of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

Can't fault the pack and looking forward to seeing Faloon make his debut.

Well, I say, 'seeing', but I'll be listening on't radio.

Speaking of which, match definitely not televised? Can't see it on d'interweb or anything?

Devastated can't make it, really excited now.

Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by fifthcolumn.

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9486

Just a thought, but here's a team that (through injury etc.) didn't even make the 23:

Layden
Poolman
Tonetti
McSharry
Loxton
Parks
Murphy

Wilkinson
Harris-Wright
White
Browne
Kearney
Anderson
Grace
McKeon

Nver seen such strength in depth in Connacht before.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachta

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9487

Cardiff team:

15. Dan Fish 14. Harry Robinson 13.Gavin Evans 12. Gareth Davies 11. Tom James 10. Ceri Sweeney 9. Lewis Jones

8. Andries Pretorius (c) 7. Josh Navidi 6. Rory Watts- Jones 5. James Down 4. Robin Copeland 3. Taufa'ao Filise 2. Andi Kyriacou 1. Thomas Davies

16. Rhys Williams 17. Beniot Borrust 18. Nathan Trevett 19. Lou Reed 20. Luke Hamilton 21. Lloyd Williams 22. Cory Allen 23. Tom Williams 24. Owen Williams

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9488

salmson wrote: Just a thought, but here's a team that (through injury etc.) didn't even make the 23:

Layden
Poolman
Tonetti
McSharry
Loxton
Parks
Murphy

Wilkinson
Harris-Wright
White
Browne
Kearney
Anderson
Grace
McKeon

You're so right, both teams have the same (very correct) strenght

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9489

Cows- fair point and well made. I agree totally.

Salmson thats some team thats missin alright. Gives some credibility to the more ambitious forcasts fpr season!

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9490

salmson wrote: Just a thought, but here's a team that (through injury etc.) didn't even make the 23:

Layden
Poolman
Tonetti
McSharry
Loxton
Parks
Murphy

Wilkinson
Harris-Wright
White
Browne
Kearney
Anderson
Grace
McKeon

Jays, McCrea can't even get on that team!

Justice 4 Faruk

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9491

fifthcolumn wrote:
Speaking of which, match definitely not televised? Can't see it on d'interweb or anything?

Devastated can't make it, really excited now.

Fraid not, one of many that won't be televised this season. Better get used to it!

One bit of good news is TG4 have decided to take up Skysports Italia's feed for the Zebre game next week.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
12 years 3 weeks ago #9492

Very interesting team alright. Loads of potential. And as mentioned, seems to be a weaker Cardiff team then usual.

logo