Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht vs Cardiff Sept 1st 17:00

Poll: Are you going to the match

Yes
25 78.1%
No
7 21.9%
Total number of voters: 32 ( FACECUTTR, Woody, rossie, Connachtman, N17 ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9586

Some people seem to be very forgetful of Macca's consistency over the last couple of years, he's is the heartbeat of our team, the main man in the pack. I've spoken to a couple of players recently and they all say that he's key man in the team.

He had no pre season games, so obviously his match sharpness was going to be a bit off. Being taken off early was due to IRFU player management. He was struggling a bit which was always going to happen because he isn't match fit, and then he was asked to field every lineout. We didn't use George once, we used Muldoon once and he claimed it.

Macca is a key player and leader for us and I'm shocked to see calls for him to be dropped.

Very good point Porterbelly and don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of Macca but I think you've hit on the reason he should be dropped to. I'd like to see Macca on the bench next week partly to stop complacency setting in and partly we could give him 20 minutes were he could give his all until he hits peak match fitness again.

In fact I think starting all our guys on the bench who toured this summer and bringing them back gradually is the way to go.

My team for next week depending on injuries is:

1. Buckley 2.Flavin 3. Loughney 4. Gannon 5. Swift 6. Muldoon 7. JOC 8. Naupou 9.KM 10. Parks (if fit) 11. Healy 12. Fafita 13. Griffin (if fit) 14. McCrea 15. McAuley (Duffy rested on player wellness)

16. Ah You 17. Wilks 18. ER 19. Macca 20 Faloon 21 Moore 22. Jarvis 23 Hemshaw.

We're playing Zebre so we should win which is why I'd give young guys like Healy and McAuley a chance also if Griffin and Fafita are going to be a partnership there going to need to play together.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9587

I think the one thing that most people are getting at here is that we have to have higher standards at this club and some performances do not meet our minimum expectations as to whats an acceptable performance. We all have different ideas about whos at fault and how to solve it but most importanly most of us expect a reaction from management and the leaders within this group of players.

i watched conor o shea on itv4 this evening.before match He was asked about areas for improvement this season and he said three areas and listed last seasons stats re tries scored, conceded and penalties conceded as areas to improve on. They had a miraculous comeback from 27 pts down to win by 2(42-40) but he wasnt happy after game. They won the premiership last season but have set higher standards for this season.
I only read the soundbites from EEs interview on saturday and he did say that loss wasnt acceptable and that they had targetted a win here so we will have to wait and see what he does about it. if standards are allowed to drop now we are in for a long season again!
Yes players were missing and it was the first game but it was a decent team and we were at home, That has to be made to count for something!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Borders no.2, connachtexile

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9589

There is no point changing the entire team for next week, whilst i have defended Fetu here and still do i think he will drop to the bench. people are right, Macca had no pre season and should have started on the bench Saturday, ease him back in. No way should Buckley be dropped, what message is this sending to young players. He's developing into a exceptional prop so leave him at it.

There is merit to having Swifty on the bench for home games. There is a lot of talk of energy moments in games and in a tight match, releasing a caged Swifty from the bench around the 50 min mark would lift the crowd and the team and would pro long what has been a legendary career.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom

• mary hinge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 2 weeks ago #9590

I must admit I had a little chuckle too when on another post most respondents nominated Parks as likely to be flop of the season. Utter bullshit. If Parks had played Saturday, we would have four points in the bag now. Until he's fit I think we have to play Jarvis at 10. Nikora doesn't cut it on many different levels and we need someone playing 10 who can kick! Fets has to spend some time off the 23 while the coaching team try to teach him how to catch a ball, and McCrea should start at 14. These changes with Moore and Marmion swopping to starter and bench scrum half respectively and possibly Henshaw for Fitifa at 12 and I'd leave the change at that.
Defeat against Zebre would be unacceptable.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9592

I'd love to start Parks but if not available I'd start Nikora with Jarvis on the bench. Nikora for me is one of those players who runs hot and cold. Yes he was bad this week but he could be very good next week. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and if after 40/50 minutes he still wasn't performing I'd throw on Jarvis.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9593

mary hinge wrote: I must admit I had a little chuckle too when on another post most respondents nominated Parks as likely to be flop of the season. Utter bullshit.

I nominated him for flop of the year, and you're right, that's bull, if he's fit.

mary hinge wrote: Until he's fit...

D'oh!

Now you see my thinking...

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9615

''highlights'' here.
at 0.31 i feel we were hard done by, i felt JOC grabbed the ball out of his hands rather than a slap down.
at 1.48 thats denis buckley chasing the ball and ends up winning a peno.

rabodirectpro12.com/matchdaytv/?play=media&id=12690

Last edit: 12 years 2 weeks ago by swift4prez.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9616

It looked like good play from JOC, but on closer inspection he was still in the ruck. Not allowed to contest for the ball.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9617

First if Connacht cannot take advantage of the poor weather than the team should be moved to Spain. It's called home field advantage because they practice in the wind and driving rain all the time. They are not likely to see such an undermanned Cardiff side again so they have lost out on 3 points and will need to pick up a game they aren't expected to win if they hope to improve on last season.

I would keep the changes to a minimum for Zebre. In the pack I might move JOC to the bench as an impact sub, but keep Swifty as a starter. I'd be tempted to switch Flavin and Reynecke but in the end would probably leave them as they were though Reynecke's darts have often enough been a problem.

At half back, I would start Moore if fit and give Nikora another go. I think he proved last season after he replaced NOC that he can do the job. Though the back three to varying degrees have all been slated here I would again stick with them. It was after all Duffy's first game back and the better weather should suit both Vainakolo and TOH. At centre it really depends on the fitness level of players. If McSherry or Tonetti are healthy I might start them for a less than 100% Griffin or a green Fifita.

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9622

I would leave Swifty off with Kearney to start, bring on Swifty later. I would also start JOC, and have Faloon come on later.
I thought that JOC was hard done by to be honest. The ball was lifted by the scrum half and so was out of the ruck... playable IMO.

I would leave Nikora on as well. The poor decisions in the half backs came from Marmion not keeping the ball in the pack, not Nikora.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9625

Diom wrote: I would leave Swifty off with Kearney to start, bring on Swifty later. I would also start JOC, and have Faloon come on later.
I thought that JOC was hard done by to be honest. The ball was lifted by the scrum half and so was out of the ruck... playable IMO.

I would leave Nikora on as well. The poor decisions in the half backs came from Marmion not keeping the ball in the pack, not Nikora.

Swifty has to start, you just can't start in Italy with two lightweight second rows, you have to match Italian packs up front on the road from the start or you'll be in a lot of trouble if they get on the front foot.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9628

As a matter of interest how did Copeland play?

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9629

sea_point wrote:

Diom wrote: I would leave Swifty off with Kearney to start, bring on Swifty later. I would also start JOC, and have Faloon come on later.

Swifty has to start, you just can't start in Italy with two lightweight second rows, you have to match Italian packs up front on the road from the start or you'll be in a lot of trouble if they get on the front foot.

I wouldn't rate Macca as a lightweight 2nd row, and the reason why I think we need Kearney to start is that we will match them up front with Kearney while he is fresh, and then have Swift come on to turn the screw. Also the game will hopefully have some dry weather and be more open than the Blues match, so will need a more mobile pack to get around and secure ruck ball.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9630

connachtexile wrote: As a matter of interest how did Copeland play?

Shepherds crook just after half time. But then the whole Cardiff pack was beaten up a stick in the first 40.

• Gorgeous George
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 2 weeks ago #9634

Hi,

New member all the way from Australia....Looking forward to supporting your team and of course Dan Parks in his new venture. Hopefully they will show your games on Setanta (in Aust)...we only get two or three pro12 games a week which are hand picked ...on pay TV...fingers crossed.

Good Luck Parksy ! (when u get on the park in a couple of weeks) :blink:

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #9693

Here are some video clips I took at the game that I stitched together. Sorry but I had no control over the comments from other supporters! ;)

Really hope things have improved for the next game.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom

logo