Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht back in HCup 2012-2013!

• connachta
  • connachta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7204

Thanks to the all Irish final, we're on the road again!

Now what are your thought?

Pool prediction? 2 or 3 new good players attracted by the competion coming to strengthen the team? Extra money from sponsors to buy and pay them? Clan terrace extention? Delocalisation in Pearse or Thomond in case of Toulouse or Clermont reception? New animations for a more packed Sportsground?

Free comments! and no problem to express your happiness and to let the imagination fly!

Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by connachta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7205

Heart still racing. Well done Leinster and Ulster.

No moving out of the Sportsground. It's our home and it's more than capable of holding 10,000 by adding in temporary seating at both ends of ground. Probably more. I dont want us to be playing the Toulouse's of the world in a half full Pearse.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7206

We're in Pot 3 as well which is a help

Should be scope for a couple of signings fingers crossed

Could we target any of these:

Fionn Carr/Andrew Conway/Luke O Dea
Aaron Dundon
Ian Nagle/Damien Browne/Mark Flanagan
Paddy Butler (depending on if Munster sign a back rower and Leamy's fitness)/Leo Auva'a
NIQ centre to replace Fa'afili. Don't fancy Dineen or Gleeson

More
12 years 4 months ago #7207

Porterbelly wrote: We're in Pot 3 as well which is a help

Aaron Dundon
Paddy Butler (depending on if Munster sign a back rower and Leamy's fitness)/Leo Auva'a

Conway will come through next year for Leinster. We don't need a back 3 player we have plenty of them coming through.
Dundon or Tom Sexton I'd like to see.
Everyone in Leinster seems happy with Browne, so can't see him leaving.
Nagle is going to be 3rd choice second row in HC and a first choice in Rabo for Munster next year so he won't leave.
I havent seen a lot of Flanagan to judge him.
Butler will be in that Munster team and will make a big push so I wouldn't be expecting him either. He'll get games in the Rabo which he'll probably take.

Center and a hooker is all I want. Who to get in the center is the big question?

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 4 months ago #7208

Aaron Dundon

Absolutely fantastic that we have HEC rugby at the Sportsground again this season. However as they confirmed a few months back we've spent all the money currently available for signings.

It will require a huge amount of additional Season Tickets Holders to come on board and development of sponsor channels also.

Marketing department need to push the space limitation in the Clan & Main terrace to get the floating voters on board early rather than later....

More
12 years 4 months ago #7209

Surely after qualifying again the board will be able to generate extra funds to sign one or two more. Has Henry signed for anyone for 12/12 ? AFAIK he hasn't so maybe if funds come available we should try to keep him or else get a solid NIQ that is capable of breaking the line. I like the look of Luke O'Dea also.

As for suggestion of playing games in Pearse etc , madness , lets pack the sportsground and generate noise that turns the place into a cauldron which we know we can do. And we should have Hell by Ac/Dc pumping before every game throughout the stadium and even louder when the opposition are coming onto the field at the start of the game.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

More
12 years 4 months ago #7210

its_phil wrote:

Aaron Dundon

Conway will come through next year for Leinster. We don't need a back 3 player we have plenty of them coming through.
Dundon or Tom Sexton I'd like to see.
Everyone in Leinster seems happy with Browne, so can't see him leaving.
Nagle is going to be 3rd choice second row in HC and a first choice in Rabo for Munster next year so he won't leave.
I havent seen a lot of Flanagan to judge him.
Butler will be in that Munster team and will make a big push so I wouldn't be expecting him either. He'll get games in the Rabo which he'll probably take.

Center and a hooker is all I want. Who to get in the center is the big question?

There's nobody domestically who's available who would add another dimension to our team which we need in the centre. We need 4 good centres, we saw how all were needed with injuries this year. Henry was hit and miss but was good at getting over the gainline and offloading.

Someone like Seru Rabeni, he is 33 and playing in Pro D 2 but he was top class in the prem with Leicester and Leeds and he's a brilliant carrier.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7212

Do we want glamour or a soft pool? Do we care?

Could go Toulouse/Clermont/Exeter or could go Cardiff/Edinbugh/Castres.

Pool One:

Toulouse
Biarritz Olympique Pays Basque Or ASM Clermont Auvergne (Biaritz win/lose Amlin)
Cardiff Blues
Northampton Saints

Pool Two:

ASM Clermont Auvergne or Stade Francais (Biaritz win/lose Amlin)
Leicester Tigers
Toulon
Harlequins
Edinburgh

Pool Four:

Benetton Treviso
Castres Olympique
Exeter
Montpellier
Racing Métro 92
Aironi/Viadana/Rome/Amatori Milan or whatever.

• Funk It
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #7213

Super stuff. I would nearly expect that the players that we are currently bringing in are pushing the budget for further signings even though we have HC qualification now. Although I hope I'm wrong.

Looking forward to the draw already. Based in northern England now so will hopefully be making any away games in the HC across these waters. Really wouldn't be against a weekend in France or Italy either so bring it on. Was gutted I couldn't make the game over in Toulouse, ye seemed to have had a belter over there.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7215

Surely after qualifying again the board will be able to generate extra funds to sign one or two more. Has Henry signed for anyone for 12/12 ? AFAIK he hasn't so maybe if funds come available we should try to keep him or else get a solid NIQ that is capable of breaking the line. I like the look of Luke O'Dea also.

After O'Dea's performance in the B&I cup I doubt Munster would let him go. Would really like to see Henry signed again if we could stretch the budget now that we've H Cup again next year. It's great to have this as it will give us more momentum and because of the all Irish Final more time to arrange/plan for next years tournament.

We now have B&I Rugby and Heineken Cup Rugby to look forward to next year. Life is good! B)

Stuck in Oz with no slippers
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by connachtexile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: connachta

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7219

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing last year that season ticket income cannot be used to pay players, because it's not guaranteed year to year. So even with an increase on ST's we will not be able to splash out on someone new.

Our best bet would be a new sponsor to go with the Mazda cash.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
12 years 4 months ago #7220

im being a bit tongue in cheek here but how would the clansmen feel about loughney going to munster in exchange for Borlase, henry and gleeson/dineen? Could be a good bit of business for all concerned especially with white already coming.

Failing a deal along these lines i think budget is already spent for next season.

On the subject of the Draw with 7 french teams next year theres a chance of two in the group. Anyone know the final seedings?

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7221

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember hearing last year that season ticket income cannot be used to pay players, because it's not guaranteed year to year. So even with an increase on ST's we will not be able to splash out on someone new.

Our best bet would be a new sponsor to go with the Mazda cash.

Wasn't Mazda a one year deal? Anyone know what the story is there?

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
12 years 4 months ago #7222

connachtexile wrote:
Wasn't Mazda a one year deal? Anyone know what the story is there?

Three year deal I thought. They must be delighted. All our HEC matches were covered live, plus a massive increase in attendances, and that's just year one.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7224

Seedings won't be announced until June. But we will have 6 points, which should put us ahead of the likes of Treviso, Castre, Dragons

Justice 4 Faruk

More
12 years 4 months ago #7226

ummm, wrote: Seedings won't be announced until June. But we will have 6 points, which should put us ahead of the likes of Treviso, Castre, Dragons

We'll be in tier 3.

The 4th tier will be as follows (none of these affected by Bath's notional chance of catching Sale or which of Biarritz/Stade plays in the HEC next year):

Benetton Treviso 4 points
Castres Olympique 4 points
Exeter 3 points
Montpellier 3 points
Racing Métro 92 3 points
Aironi/Viadana/Rome/Amatori Milan etc. 2, 1, or 0 points depending on how the new team is structured.

If, as seems likely, Sale are in the HEC, we won't even be the lowest ranked third tier team.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile, rossie

logo