Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht back in HCup 2012-2013!

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 4 months ago #7288

Benji wrote: your right about the twat at the end
Great weekend. Lunatics to the core the Clermont fans.
Im still wrecked.

Don't think there's anything better in life than going to watch your team play rugby in France, (except maybe watching them win... B) :))....

Have yet to have anything other than a brilliant experience in France with the French supporters, absolutely top class fun at any cost...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Benji

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7302

I agree with connacht exile that the competition can probably survive without the english or the french if one boycotted. The problem is that currently both are threatening to boycott it at the same time unless there is change on the Pro12 side.

I think the 8 qualified from pro12 thing is a non runner as the 4 unions could never agree to that but the most likely compromise is 1 from each union qualify automatically and the other 4 positions from league finishing position. if you take the current pro12 table as an example Leinster, ospreys, glasgow and Treviso would take unions guarenteed spots and Munster, ulster, scarlets and cardiff would take the other 4 based on league finishing position.

Whats certain is that they are after 2 pro12 spots and its likely that they will get them.After all he who pays the piper calls the tune.The 2 spots which go to the union which wins the Hec and Amlin will probably be left alone which would leave the English and French with 7 places each based on league position and the Pro12 with 8 with all three leagues chasing the final 2 on the pitch where it should be.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7304

Did anyone see Michael Cheika's interview I think it was in the Times this week? You can tell his motivation was to push the French view on this. I think the Rabo needs to be firm on the issue and get the best deal possible. The fact is the other 3 provinces are doing extremely well in it and we acquitted ourselves quite well in our debut in the H Cup. To be frank I'd be telling the french to shorten their league rather than try and bully the rest of Europe into making life easier for them.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers
The following user(s) said Thank You: merchantdon

• Funk It
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #7305

I think that the Clemont fans would love Galway, but more importantly Galway would love them. They seem like a mad but passionate bunch, great spirit.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7307

Funk it

Bigger question is, would the Clan like Clermont-Ferrand as city for the weekend. I THINK SOOOOOOO

• Funk It
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #7313

Fourdogs wrote: Funk it

Bigger question is, would the Clan like Clermont-Ferrand as city for the weekend. I THINK SOOOOOOO

Right on the money there Fourdogs.

We got our dream draw last time out. Think another big pull for crowds last year was that we didn't get drawn against another Pro12 team which we were used to seeing in Galway... although its not like the Harlequins lads can't find their way from Halo/CPs to Supermacs by now.

• connachta
  • connachta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7453

Racing Metro 19 - stade Français 13, just finished!

We are very very likely to be in pot 3 next year :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

More
12 years 4 months ago #7454

woo hoo !!

More
12 years 4 months ago #7456

Happy Days!

More
12 years 4 months ago #7816

The IMF wrote: Mr Thornley has a bit more detail on the ranking calculations for next year in the IT today.

"Looking further down the rankings, there is a very good chance that Connacht will be third seeds. As things stand Exeter, the two Italians sides and up to three possible French qualifiers – Montpellier, Castres and Racing – would all be ranked below Connacht, as indeed might Sale be if they could yet squeeze through from the Premiership.

The only way that Connacht could drop down to a fourth seed, by this column’s calculations, is if Biarritz claimed the seventh French place by winning the Challenge Cup final, and if Stade Francais muscled into the top six in France at the expense of one of the aforementioned trio. (Stade, in seventh, play Racing, two points ahead of them in sixth, next Saturday at Stade de France)."

Come on Racing!!!

So lads if Toulon beat Biarritz I THINK that makes us 3rd seeds. Makes the game a lot more interesting from our perspective now.

Come on Toulon!!!

More
12 years 4 months ago #7817

21-18 Biarritz, looks like we're going to have to win it the hard way next year!

Horrible game to watch. Less than 10,000 fans @ the stoop, fair enough it was an all French final in London but that is a really disappointing crowd for a European final.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7818

I might be wrong but I still think we are ok for 3rd seed, albeit as the bottom ranked side in the third seeds. 6 teams still below us, of course contingent on another Italian team being cobbled together for next season. Best to wait until things sort themselves out with the top seedings & new Italian team before looking much further.

Connacht 5

4th Seeds
Treviso 4
Castres 4
Montpellier 3
Racing Métro 2
Exeter 2
? Italian team (If they keep Aironi's points 2 but imagine they'll start from 0)

More
12 years 4 months ago #7822

We are safe in 3rd Tier.

If my count is correct we have 6 ERC points, (5 as of June 2011 and got another 1 from this year)which puts us in the 3rd seeds at 17th place.

Sale are below us in 18th. They had 7 points in June 2011 but loose 2 as the count back is only 4 years and they were not in the HC last years.

I would agree with the 4th Tier as shown by Borders no.2.

We are guarenteed to get 1 French, 1 English and the 3rd team in our pool is anyones guess.

We can not get, Scarlets, Glasgow, Saracens or Sale as they are in Tier 3 as well.

• Greendragon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #7825

Don't care who we get really it's just great to be in the competition.

More
12 years 3 months ago #7988

2012/13 Heineken Cup clubs and tiers

Tier 1 - Leinster Rugby, Toulouse, Biarritz Olympique, Munster Rugby, Cardiff Blues, Northampton Saints
Tier 2 - ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ulster Rugby, Leicester Tigers, Harlequins, Toulon, Edinburgh Rugby
Tier 3 - Ospreys, Scarlets, Glasgow Warriors, Saracens, Connacht Rugby, Sale Sharks
Tier 4 - Castres Olympique, Benetton Treviso, Racing Metro 92, Montpellier, Exeter Chiefs, Italian club (to be confirmed)

• The draw for the 2012/13 Heineken Cup pools will take place at the Aviva Stadium, Dublin on Tuesday, 12 June at 11.00am

More
12 years 3 months ago #7989

fingers crossed for
cardiff
edinburgh
connacht
italian team

logo