Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht back in HCup 2012-2013!

More
12 years 4 months ago #7229

salmson wrote:

connachtexile wrote:
Wasn't Mazda a one year deal? Anyone know what the story is there?

Three year deal I thought. They must be delighted. All our HEC matches were covered live, plus a massive increase in attendances, and that's just year one.

Yeah, 3 year deal. €3M over the 3 years. Bank Of Ireland offered €100,00 a year

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7231
The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

More
12 years 4 months ago #7237

I wouldnt be getting too excited about new signings.
I think they were being honest, when they said that all the money has been spent.

While extra money will be coming in, now that we're in the HC, we might not see that until next season

The money should be invested in advertising in my opinion. Getting more fans to buy season tickets, and more people going to the odd game will be major. It will help long term, for seasons where there is no HC rugby

More
12 years 4 months ago #7238

rossie wrote: im being a bit tongue in cheek here but how would the clansmen feel about loughney going to munster in exchange for Borlase, henry and gleeson/dineen? Could be a good bit of business for all concerned especially with white already coming.

Failing a deal along these lines i think budget is already spent for next season.

Yeah sure while we're at it why don't we swap Wilko for Horan too!!! :P

That said I would love to see us take JJ Hanrahan on loan for next season to give us a bit more depth.

But i think you are right about budget being expended already and guys are going to have to get their heads around the fact there is no more money. I think loan signings are going to be the only further additions to the squad if any but I really hope I am wrong on that front.

Regardless of the permutations for our group anything less than Toulouse / Clermont will feel like a bit of a let down after the draw we had this year. I hope Toulouse become our new Harlequins and they're sick of the sight of us in a couple of years!

• connachta
  • connachta's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7240

ConnachtCows wrote: I wouldnt be getting too excited about new signings.
I think they were being honest, when they said that all the money has been spent.

While extra money will be coming in, now that we're in the HC, we might not see that until next season

The money should be invested in advertising in my opinion. Getting more fans to buy season tickets, and more people going to the odd game will be major. It will help long term, for seasons where there is no HC rugby

Partly disagree with this..Ok for long term investments, but more to expend the sportsgrond than in advertising, 'cause Connacht is already known in Galway, and we can't expect regular attendance by people from other part of the province for reasons of distance..

And above all, I really think we must buy the 2 or 3 players we desperatly miss, particularly a hooker ( we've only 2!) and a centre (only 3!). Attendance will continue to increase thanks to a more complete team, which will engender more regular wictories in Hcup and Rabo. It's time to avoid 12 loses in a row, or frustrating defeats (Cardiff, Leinster, Gloucester home and away, Treviso). It's time to finish growing, and difinitly becoming an "average" European squad, struggling with Ulster for 3rd Irish spot in HCup!

Moreover with the pression of French league, HCup might be reduced to 20 clubs, so it will probably be our last entrance for 4 or 5 years, let's capitalize on it!

Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by connachta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borders no.2

• mary hinge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #7241

Well I for one am hoping for Toulouse again. Would like to see a second French team in our group, so wouldn't mind Biarritz too, with Exeter or Quins pick of the English sides.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7244

connachta wrote: HCup might be reduced to 20 clubs

Where did you hear that - that's never going to happen!

(1) Successful competitions bloat, not shrink - see Super Rugby, Soccer and Rugby WCs etc.
(2) Since the French clubs primary complaint is they're under-represented, they'll hardly want to cut the numbers (and by extension their own places).

I've heard whinging (on Sky) about how it should be 8 clubs from England, 8 from the Top 14 and 8 from the Rabo though, in which case your call to spend on players would be even more relevant.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7246

Ok THE IMF its a deal,
JJ, Borlase and Henry in exchange for Loughney on 2 year Loan deal. Munster dont need Wilko, They have Killer Kilcoyne coming tru and imo he will share loose head with Wian and Toasterhead, Horan and Ryan will back them up.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7248

Guys

I have made a number of assumptions here:

Leinster win HC, Biarritz win Amlin, English and Super 14 table stays as they currently stands.

Including the 2 Cup winners, the 24 teams made up of 7 French, 6 English, 4 Irish, 3 Welsh, 2 Scottish and Italian.

Here is how I think things will stack up for the 4 tiers at the end of the season

ERC Ranking points
1 Leinster Rugby 40
2 Toulouse 27
3 Biarritz Olympique 26
4 Munster Rugby 23
5 Cardiff Blues 20
6 Northampton Saints 20

7 ASM Clermont Auvergne 18
8 Leicester Tigers 17
9 Harlequins 17
10 Ulster Rugby 17
11 Toulon 15
12 Edinburgh Rugby 12

13 Ospreys 12
14 Scarlets 11
15 Glasgow Warriors 9
16 Saracens 8
17 Connacht Rugby 6
18 Sale Sharks 5

19 Benetton Treviso 4
20 Castres Olympique 4
21 Montpellier 3
22 Racing Métro 92 3
23 Exeter Chiefs 2
24 2nd Italian team 0

We could end up with 2 French and an Italian sides in our pool.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7250

what are the rules in that regard? could it be 3 french teams?

Biarritz, clermont auvergne, Montpellier?!

More
12 years 4 months ago #7252

rossie wrote: what are the rules in that regard? could it be 3 french teams?

Biarritz, clermont auvergne, Montpellier?!

No. They try to keep nationalities apart, but with 7 French teams one group will have a second French team.

• connachta
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7253

salmson wrote:

(1) Successful competitions bloat, not shrink - see Super Rugby, Soccer and Rugby WCs etc.
(2) Since the French clubs primary complaint is they're under-represented, they'll hardly want to cut the numbers (and by extension their own places).

I've heard whinging (on Sky) about how it should be 8 clubs from England, 8 from the Top 14 and 8 from the Rabo though, in which case your call to spend on players would be even more relevant.

No, really i'm sure about the 20 clubs, because it's an official decision of the LNR (translate national league of rugby)

here's an article in french, if you need the global meaning to be translated, just ask!

H Cup: Pour un passage à 20 clubs

Le Comité Directeur de la Ligue nationale (LNR), qui s'est achevé jeudi midi, a notamment été l'occasion d'un vote quasiment à l'unanimité -les représentants de la Fédération française (FFR) se sont abstenus- d'un plan de revalorisation de la Coupe d'Europe et du Challenge. Appelé à être soumis aux autres nations participantes, ce plan, sur lequel a planché un groupe de travail composé de présidents de clubs, préconise un passage du nombre de participants dans les deux compétitions à 20 clubs (contre 24 en Coupe d'Europe actuellement). Une réduction qu'assumerait la Ligue Celte (Celtes et italiens), dont le contingent passerait de dix qualifiés automatiques à la moitié. Réunissant toujours Anglais et Français, le Challenge accueillerait ces recalés de la Ligue Celte. Cette réforme passe par une dénonciation d'ici fin mai par la LNR, probablement appuyée par les clubs anglais, des accords de Paris, qui arrivent à échéance en 2014.

Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by connachta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: salmson

More
12 years 4 months ago #7254

Official "recommendation". It's their opening negotiating position that the Celtic Nations cough up one place each. That'd suit the French teams given that 3 of the QF places went to Irish teams and their teams can't buy a result against ours any more than our naional team could beat their's.

• connachta
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7255

salmson wrote: Official "recommendation". It's their opening negotiating position that the Celtic Nations cough up one place each. That'd suit the French teams given that 3 of the QF places went to Irish teams and their teams can't buy a result against ours any more than our naional team could beat their's.

Yes it's a negotiation basis, but worringly 1) they are sustained by the english 2) they want to reduce at 5 or 6 the celtic league participants, and send the other in Challenge Cup... unbelievable...

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 4 months ago #7256

connachta wrote:

salmson wrote:

No, really i'm sure about the 20 clubs, because it's an official decision of the LNR (translate national league of rugby)

here's an article in french, if you need the global meaning to be translated, just ask!

H Cup: Pour un passage à 20 clubs

Le Comité Directeur de la Ligue nationale (LNR), qui s'est achevé jeudi midi, a notamment été l'occasion d'un vote quasiment à l'unanimité -les représentants de la Fédération française (FFR) se sont abstenus- d'un plan de revalorisation de la Coupe d'Europe et du Challenge. Appelé à être soumis aux autres nations participantes, ce plan, sur lequel a planché un groupe de travail composé de présidents de clubs, préconise un passage du nombre de participants dans les deux compétitions à 20 clubs (contre 24 en Coupe d'Europe actuellement). Une réduction qu'assumerait la Ligue Celte (Celtes et italiens), dont le contingent passerait de dix qualifiés automatiques à la moitié. Réunissant toujours Anglais et Français, le Challenge accueillerait ces recalés de la Ligue Celte. Cette réforme passe par une dénonciation d'ici fin mai par la LNR, probablement appuyée par les clubs anglais, des accords de Paris, qui arrivent à échéance en 2014.

Google Translation for the non french speakers, article is on Rugbyrama.fr (online version of the excellent French rugby newspaper Midi-Olympique)

www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/coupe-d-europe/20...o3250037/story.shtml

Heineken Cup: France wants a move to 20 clubs

European rugby competitions could face a serious facelift. Indeed, representatives of French rugby are busy behind the scenes to reform it. This choice comes at a time when the two meet competitions unprecedented success including 50 million euros in turnover for the ERC and 1.1 million viewers earned during the group stage. The reform would address the current formula and the will of the NRL from 24 to 20 clubs in the Heineken Cup. Which would consequently an overhaul of the European Challenge Cup and a new financial distribution. This proposal would focus on " raising the level of both competitions and especially the European Challenge . "

A unanimity requirement ...

This reform, however, could not enter into force rapidly since the current format of European Cups is fixed until June 2014. The ERC will indeed within two years to implement new agreements to avoid crisis. And if no action is taken, the current agreements (which are from 2007) will be extended for another year.

Midi Olympique announced Friday that several meetings have taken place between representatives of French and English, which may suggest an agreement between both parties. But the Celts are not yet open to reform. And to change the formula of the Heineken Cup, the unanimous vote of the six nations is required. The beginning of a long consensus ...

Basically the Top French clubs, much like the English ones are angling to take greater control of the HEC under the guise of increasing revenue. If left to their own devices they will absolutely destroy it. Their problem is that the clubs do not have a sustainable model because they all rely heavily on private investment, the club owners of France & England are hell-bent on maximising short term revenue at the potential cost of the long term welfare and development of a truly trans-European competition.

Wait until all the real fun and games begin in 2014...

More
12 years 4 months ago #7257

I really cant see how any of the sponsors will go for that.
The want the max amount of publicity as possible.

logo