Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Harlequins vs Connacht 12/01/13 13:35 SS1 HD

Poll: Are you going to this game?

Yes
15 65.2%
No
8 34.8%
Total number of voters: 23 ( Mac65, cormac, pinky, Droptheclaw, columoc ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • clan clover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 8 months ago #13914

We all know this particular ref is not that good, but yesterday he was OK, now I watched it on Sky and he got most calls right, a few wrong and missed a few things but in the whole it was one of his better games. Two of the yellows came from the touch judge,one was warranted, one could have been let go and that was Reyneeke's but I think they had no choice but to send Marler to the bin, where he should have been in the first half. JOC's was warranted, but watching the Leinster game later, two identical offences were let go without even a penalty and right in front of the ref and touch judge.

What pissed me off no end is the lack of fight, Marler is a prck, and not one of our boys stood up to him and that in my book is not acceptable , at one stage he was choking White from behind that to me is red and a fist full of fives to go with it he got neither. One missed tackle directly after half time when we looked like we wanted to go home yet the game was all to play for, easy try. Loughneys missed tackle on Ego and another try and the last try, you can clearly see a hand under the ball. Quinns are a good team, no mistaken that but we really made a rod for our own back. McSharry passing inside and badly passing inside was just plain stupid and reminded me of the game in Toulouse last year when he butchered a similar opportunity. Lovely preplanned backs move for O Halloran off a line out and not one support runner WTF. If we had the brains that would have been two tries and it would have put Quinns on the back foot.

The penalty try, if you see the camera angles from right above the scrum, you can clearly see Swifty was not supporting Buckley properly and hence why he was been pushed backwards, in the image you can clearly see it was not a tight five. Anyway, we will get a few more of these results before the season is out, Pat Lam cannot come soon enough imho.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Quin Kong
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 8 months ago #13915

The fighting came because your front five kept pushing even when the scrum collapsed leading to a very real danger of very serious injury. I think you would have a go if you felt that there was an attempt to make you a paraplegic!

More
11 years 8 months ago #13916

Quin Kong wrote: The fighting came because your front five kept pushing even when the scrum collapsed leading to a very real danger of very serious injury. I think you would have a go if you felt that there was an attempt to make you a paraplegic!

:whistle:

Marler involved in 6 separate punch ups according to the Telegraph

Keep your own house in order

• clan clover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 8 months ago #13917

Quin Kong wrote: The fighting came because your front five kept pushing even when the scrum collapsed leading to a very real danger of very serious injury. I think you would have a go if you felt that there was an attempt to make you a paraplegic!

Simply not true, Marler is a class A prick, he spent 82 minutes running around the paddock looking for fights. He has this idea he is a hard man where he is anything but, and the fact he was involved in six incidents highlights how stupid the boy is. He reminds me of Neil Francis an old Irish second row, another prick who used to spend his 80 mins of match time looking to start something.

Quinns is a great club with great supporters and coaches, and I have watched and followed them right back to eighties and always wished them well as I do this year both in the Aviva and the H Cup but Marler is a different matter. On a separate note how Stuart Lancaster can leave out Nick Easter baffles me, to rub salt into the wound he picks a Kiwi instead. Anyway best of luck in Quarter finals .

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #13919

I suppose it's too late to convert him to hooker. He deserves most of the credit for our try. He hit 4 from 4 (short, two, two, four I think) in the run-up to it.

Loughney could be a great 2! But yes a few years to late I think.

Didn't see the incident which got him and Reynecke sent off. It wasn't televised. Anyone see it?

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
11 years 8 months ago #13921

connachtexile wrote:

I suppose it's too late to convert him to hooker. He deserves most of the credit for our try. He hit 4 from 4 (short, two, two, four I think) in the run-up to it.

Loughney could be a great 2! But yes a few years to late I think.

Didn't see the incident which got him and Reynecke sent off. It wasn't televised. Anyone see it?

He played hooker when he was younger

A couple of seasons ago we had Cronin on international duty and Flavin injured so Dermot Murphy started a few games and Loughney was back up hooker. This was for 2 games. Lets just say when Loughney came on, everyone was praying the ball wouldn't be kicked into touch. His throwing was disastrous

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 8 months ago #13926

My thoughts from the game....

They tried hard, but were simply outgunned out wide. Too much experience for our very young and denuded backline.

Jarvis played well enough, certainly better that we could have expected with so little game time behind him against the Premirship champions on their home ground in a Heineken Cup game.

Live, I though Tiernan had a poor game with the ball, but watched it again last night and he put in a very decent shift.

Dennis Buckley is a fabulous fotballer, but he will never be a top class prop. He is absolutely tiny. He's ERC listed as 17 stone 11 and 5" 10" which is wildly exaggerating his actual size (put it this way that would make him two stone heavier than Cronin who is four inches taller). I would reckon is no more than 5'7 and 16 stone, and you couldn't add the bulk he desperately needs without impacting his mobility and contribution around the park. For me I would love to see him being developed as a Hooker, I think he could be every bit the player Croning was at his best for us with his dynamism around the park, the only question would be can he throw into the lineout. If it was viable now would be the age to convert him.

Andrew Browne is having a brilliant season, he's been fabulous for us and was great again yesterday. Mul is going to have a helluva job shifting him.

Why was Swifty jumping at two with Mick Kearney on the pitch, the quality of ball we got when Swifty went off and Kearney started jumping at two was immesurably better. Swifty's aerials are not his strong point, but it's a key area. We have to win good ball from our setpieces to be competitve. Think it's time Swifty was used from the bench, Kearney did absolutely fine alongiside Macca against Biarritz on another dry track and a few thumping defensive hits from Swifty apart there wasn't much to see from him overall.

And while I'm on...

That is a complete load of old billhooks, absolute fabrication. Marler, Care and Brown would start a fight in a an empty room and have plenty of form over the years. You must seriously think we don't see Premiership rugby ever. I've live in the UK for 24 years and have watched loads of it.

And while Quins have loads of fantastic players and are capable of being an outstanding team, I would lump those three individuals in with Ashton, Cueto, Clark and Hartley in a list of players who invariably always start or are looking for trouble.

Don't know what 'roids you pump into your boys over here but perhaps they should lower the dosage for those individuals..... :lol:

The following user(s) said Thank You: clan clover, menacethedenis, phatguerilla

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
11 years 8 months ago #13935

I also thought it was very odd to see Swifty going up for line outs, I can only assume it was an attempt to catch quins by surprise, which would have been fine for one or two but it happened too often and lost that element.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

logo