Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Harlequins vs Connacht 12/01/13 13:35 SS1 HD

Poll: Are you going to this game?

Yes
15 65.2%
No
8 34.8%
Total number of voters: 23 ( Mac65, cormac, pinky, Droptheclaw, columoc ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • ConnachtCows
  • ConnachtCows's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #13642

We have our thread for travel plans, but this can be the match thread.

So Connacht visit London this weekend in the 5th round of the Heineken Cup to take on Harlequins at 13:35 on Saturday in The Stoop

This fixture opened the Heineken Cup last season, and produced a fantastic match, where Connacht were desperately unlucky not to come away with a losing bonus point, thanks to two late penalties for Quins, both dispatched by Nick Evans.
Some may even go as far as saying that Connacht were unlucky not to win the match, and no one could have begrudged them 4 points for the way they played and took it to Harlequins in the second half in what ended up as a losing effort, with the final score Harlequins 25-17 Connacht

In this seasons reverse fixture, Connacht built up a substantial lead, before Quins fought back and ended up with a 22-30 victory for the away team.

Can Connacht turn the tables on the English champions in their home ground this time of asking?
The large travelling support will be hoping so. All of the allocation given to Connacht are long sold out, and a large number of fans bought their tickets directly through the Harlequins website, and will be aiming to make the North Stand (left stand behind the posts for those watching on tv) a wall of Green.

Our friend from Scotland, Mr. Patterson will be in charge of this game. Surely our players know him well enough at this stage to avoid giving away stupid penalties.

Come on Connacht

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #13653

ConnachtCows wrote:
Our friend from Scotland, Mr. Patterson will be in charge of this game. Surely our players know him well enough at this stage to avoid giving away stupid penalties.

Connacht could play cards with the man every Thursday night it wouldn't stop them from giving away stupid penalties with him or any other ref in charge for that matter. With just 6 wins from 17 games so far this season it's hard for me not to be cynical and fully expect a heavy defeat here. Of course this is exactly the type of game Connacht show up for so I haven't lost all hope for a strong performance.

More
11 years 8 months ago #13658

any thing planned by the clan, someone else where on the forum that the salthill hotel has some thing planned but couldnt get detail. doubt id go there, to far if im honest, prefer staying in town, if nothing is planned might go to buskers, more impressed there then the skeff

More
11 years 8 months ago #13663

Any points return from this would be a good days work. Being realistic denying Harlequins the 4 try bonus point would be satisfactory.

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 8 months ago #13699

Conor O'Shea tore into the ref last week, placing even more pressure on Patterson.

I still think there is a small chance of an upset here if Quins feel they have got the Connacht monkey of their back and are complacent. I don't get the sense that they are as primed for this game as they were for the match in the Sportsground.

But obviously a far greater chance of a hiding, given how consistently poor we have been away from home. Held scoreless three times this season? Shudder..

• ConnachtCows
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #13700

Johnny O'Connor is fit for this one
They're still watching George, Marmion, McSharry and Swifty

I'm going to take that as a positive. The majority of the time, when its announced that someone is in contention, but still being monitored, they end up making the game.

Apart from Duffy, Muldoon, Tonetti and Faloon, we could have a full squad to pick from

Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by ConnachtCows. Reason: menacethedenis put me in my place :)

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #13702

Have you forgotten about poor John Muldoon already? ;)

“I wanna f#*kin' win, I wanna f#*kin' win..............BADLY”

• ConnachtCows
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #13703

menacethedenis wrote: Have you forgotten about poor John Muldoon already? ;)

Dammit. I knew I typed that too quickly. Mr. Muldoon, I apologise.
Would love to see us be able to pick our first choice 15 for this game

More
11 years 8 months ago #13733

Marmion, Mc Sharry & Swifty were back training today according to Irish Times.
Still waiting on George

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
11 years 8 months ago #13760

swift4prez wrote: any thing planned by the clan, someone else where on the forum that the salthill hotel has some thing planned but couldnt get detail. doubt id go there, to far if im honest, prefer staying in town, if nothing is planned might go to buskers, more impressed there then the skeff

Yeah it's the Salthill Hotel. I know it's a bit out of town, so understand if people can't make it. They donated a great prize to the Club's Night last year and we wanted to also try and hit the "settled suburban" crowd with this one as well, see if there is much scope for more events out those areas.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #13761

According to the RTE website:

Mata Fifita and Kyle Tonetti are both expected to be available for Connacht’s Heineken Cup clash with Harlequins on Saturday 12 January.

Can't see either of them been involved but good to know there fit and will be available for other games. Expect big things from both. Fifita is fighting for a contract and Tonetti has done bugger all with the amount of injuries he's shipped so he's got something to prove.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
11 years 8 months ago #13826

George and Dan miss out.

McKeon and Jarvis start.

Ouch!

NOBODY'S PERFECT

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #13827

Disaster. This will be a very long day at the office

“I wanna f#*kin' win, I wanna f#*kin' win..............BADLY”

More
11 years 8 months ago #13828

Have you got the line up, MTD?

More
11 years 8 months ago #13831

Johnny O'Connor returns to the Connacht team for Saturday's Heineken Cup clash against Harlequins at The Stoop.
O'Connor starts at openside, while Eoin McKeon, who this week signed a two year extended contract with the province, moves to No 8, replacing the injured George Naoupu.
There are two other changes to the side that beat the Dragons last weekend. In the back line, Tiernan O'Halloran starts on the right wing, while Fetu'u Vainikolo is named at No 11.
Matthew Jarvis replaces Dan Parks at out-half in what will be his third Heineken Cup game. The 22-year-old came off the bench in the back-to-back fixtures against French side Biarritz.
Miah Nikora, who returned to training last week following injury, is named on the bench along with replacement winger James Loxton.

Connacht team to face Harlequins:
(15-9) R Henshaw, T O'Halloran, E Griffin, D McSharry, F Vainikolo, M Jarvis, Marmion,
(1-8) D Buckley, J Harris-Wright, N White (capt), M Swift, M McCarthy, A Browne, J O'Connor, E McKeon
Replacements: E Reynecke, B Wilkinson, R Loughney, M Kearney, E Grace, P O'Donohoe, M Nikora, J Loxton

Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by ConnachtBOB.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 8 months ago #13832

CONNACHT (v Harlequins): Robbie Henshaw; Tiernan O'Halloran, Eoin Griffin, David McSharry, Fetu'u Vainikolo; Matthew Jarvis, Kieran Marmion; Denis Buckley, Jason Harris-Wright, Nathan White (capt), Michael Swift, Mike McCarthy, Andrew Browne, Johnny O'Connor, Eoin McKeon.

Replacements: Ethienne Reynecke, Brett Wilkinson, Ronan Loughney, Michael Kearney, Eoghan Grace, Paul O'Donohoe, Miah Nikora, James Loxton.

Big holes appearing. Will be interesting to see how Marmion gets on without Dan's help. I fear a spanking.

Justice 4 Faruk

logo