Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Fixtures for 2012-2013

More
12 years 2 months ago #8690

ummm, wrote: I doubt it works like that to be honest. It's probably not possible to ensure all A teams that are playing at the same time would be at home when the seniors are away, there are so many different things at play.

The ERC decision takes a while, lots of TV schedule horse trading to be done.

On the contrary, only 4 of the 32 teams in the B&I Cup - the Irish ones - have to be scheduled in this way. I think you'll find when the fixtures come out that the horse trading (at least in terms of what w/e the teams play home/away in the HEC) was already done before the B&I announcement, which then went out first to give the competition a half chance of some publicity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #8693

European Fixtures

The fixtures, dates and kick-off times for the first four rounds of the 2012/13 Heineken Cup will be announced on THURSDAY next, 26 JULY. at approximately 12.00 noon (UK and Irish time).

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
12 years 2 months ago #8698

4Dogs - Cool, we need to have a full fixture list before we can do out our plan of attack for the season.

Rossie: Not really our area to suggest fixtures but I will pass along the suggestion. The players will probably not like it to be honest... more work and all.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

• ummm,
  • ummm,'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #8703

Munster have just confirmed we WILL be travelling to Cork. Absolutely shitty way to treat Connacht fans.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
12 years 2 months ago #8706

ummm, wrote: Munster have just confirmed we WILL be travelling to Cork. Absolutely shitty way to treat Connacht fans.

im not to bad, have girlfriend in ucc so ill have place to stay.
BUT for munster to add another 2hours to travell to cork is 100% pure knobs. as much as i want games in galway maybe this time playing in sligo would be just good enough for them

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #8707

I'd be in favour of that except for we'd be mistreating our own ST holders on top of getting out own back. And we need the cash from a Sportsground full house more than they need the cash from a Musgrave Park match. They have us where they want us.

If we want to show our displeasure we simply refuse to travel.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
12 years 2 months ago #8708

2011/12 21,030.... TP
2010/11 19,835... TP
2009/10 25,291... TP
2008/09 26,043... TP
2007/08 musgrave park 6,125...

I WENT in 10/11 and here were plenty of connacht fans, and from watching tv in 11/12 there were also a good bunch there. this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 2 months ago #8709

Also, moving the game to Sligo would be shooting ourselves in the foot, it's the Christmas holiday home game.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
12 years 2 months ago #8711

ummm, wrote: Munster have just confirmed we WILL be travelling to Cork. Absolutely shitty way to treat Connacht fans.

Agreed. But on the Pollyanna-ish side of things, is Munster's record (in general, I know we haven't beaten them away in a millenium) any worse in Musgrave?

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
12 years 1 month ago #8727

An alternative way to s[pin this would be to try and get the southern Connacht ex-pat community to all head to the game in green. With any luck the ratio of Connacht -> Munster fans could be improved.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 1 month ago #8728

A sizeable chunk of Connacht fans would be easier to hear in a smaller venue, for sure.

On the question of their Musgrave record, it's not looking good for us. They haven't lost in Musgrave since the 2007/08 season.

They only play 4 or so games a year in Cork, and of course because they're the low interest games Munster are usually far too strong, so it makes sense that they have a good record. The losses in 2007/08 were to Blues, Leinster and Warriors, who they'd normally play in Thomond, but that year it was being rebuilt.

We've only played in Musgrave three times in the history of the Magners/Pro12, two losses and one high scoring 27-27 draw

Justice 4 Faruk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom

More
12 years 1 month ago #8729

In munster branches defence they were under huge pressure to up the quality of the games on offer in cork.

Attendances were poor there last season in a venue they should fill.

I suppose its a compliment in some ways and i knows the cork fans are happy to have you on their fixtures.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 1 month ago #8731

rossie wrote: In munster branches defence they were under huge pressure to up the quality of the games on offer in cork.

I suppose its a compliment in some ways and i knows the cork fans are happy to have you on their fixtures.

Sorry Rossie but from a travelling supporters point of view that's a feeble excuse if true, Munster has plain and simple shafted us again doubling the journey at least for any Connacht supporters travelling (in a bloody recession), the only difference this time is that the fixture is not falling on Stephens Day/New Years Day....

This dual venue nonsense needs to be knocked on the head sooner rather than later anyway, it only seems to makes sense to Munster folk. If anything it is denying Munster much needed revenue for squad strengthening. Pandering to one faction or another is ridiculous anyway for a professional sports club. If Cork was a sustainable venue for Pro Rugby then the New Thomond would never have been built so the Reb's just need to suck it up and get on with it.

Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sea_point.

More
12 years 1 month ago #8733

rossie wrote: In munster branches defence they were under huge pressure to up the quality of the games on offer in cork.

Absolute horsesh1t, if you'll excuse my French:

Last season's 4 games averaged 7896, up from 7116 the previous year.

The 2 seasons before that had only 3 games each year and no reliable attendance figures (capacity crowd of 8685 reported for all 6).

The year before that (07/08), when all 9 league games were staged there - including all interpros - they got a paltry 6757 through the gates on average.

So I'm afraid last years best ever attendance in Musgrave gives the lie to the idea that we're some sort of big draw they need to placate the Cork crowd.

More
12 years 1 month ago #8743

Ah I don't see this as a major issue. First of all the game is about 8 months away which is a long time in whats going to be a long season.

Its not like its on in the Antartic. Cork is a bit further but its not a huge journey.

If we're going well there'll be a decent travelling support, if we're not people will watch it on the telly.

The only objection I'd have is if the game got fixed for Friday.

Its not up to us how Munster run their business. Munster have to throw the odd bone to their main population centre and justify the expense in upgrading Musgrave Park.

The Cork lads are hard to deal with and don't need any encouragement to go throwing all the toys out of the pram so I'd say Munster have made the right move here. B)

More
12 years 1 month ago #8744

But still, why not fix a decent foreign team with it. For lads travelling over from Scotland or Wales an extra two hours on a bus from Shannon to Cork isn't going to make a big difference with regards to number of travelling supporters. With us, you'd be guaranteed to get a lot less Connacht lads travelling.

logo