Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht v Ospreys 28th September 2013 K/O 17:00

More
10 years 11 months ago #20411

rossie wrote: Connacht team almost picks itself when everyone is fit esp in the back line.

15. Henshaw.
14. Carr.
13. Griffin.
12. Mcsharry.
11. Pool man.
10. Parks.
9. Marmion.

Tonetti is as big a loss as mcsharry because at a similar level in 12 Jersey. To have both out at same time is a big blow .

There is a bit more competition in pack but jhw, white, Clark and now Heenan are also nailed on starters.

I would agree that the first team currently would probably be fairly similar for many, what i mean really is the other provinces mostly leave out many of their high profile more established players for a large number of matches to give up and coming academy stars exposure so they can gain experience and step in or challenge for places, just look at the backrow etc options leinster have now and the age profile, mccarthy is lounging on the bench lots of times. It seems to be the ideology in Connacht that you play a more established player like swift, muldoon, duffy every game for 80mins thats madness imo.
I think we are weak at hooker without JHW, marmion is being played to death, leinster can play four scrumhalves with young cooney getting lots of gametime, why do we not also give our academy players similar gametime with walsh and heffernan etc getting run outs for a number of games.

15. So'oialo
14. Carr
13. Henshaw/Tonetti
12. McSharry
11. Healy/Poolman
10.?
9. Marmion

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20414

ummm, wrote: To be honest, contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on, and when push comes to shove I can see other teams swooping and removing Clarke, Heenan, Poolman and Faloon from under us. Maybe that's a bit of paranoia coming through, but that's my biggest fear right now.

I've been thinking this too. Could be viewed as a solution to our current financial issues. Glass half full, at least we have 'assets' that have value in the market.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20417

Porterbelly wrote: McCarthy has been a keenly felt loss

Big time - I think the main thing we're missing is his choke tackle prowess. He was able to hold a guy up on his own until others joined him, and if we didn't win a turnover, it always slowed the opposition down. At the moment, I feel our biggest problem is lack of bulk/physicality, so we're finding it impossible to slow teams down, and once they take it through a few phases all they need to do is spread it out wide and they're in.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20419

RonanL wrote:

Porterbelly wrote: McCarthy has been a keenly felt loss

Big time - I think the main thing we're missing is his choke tackle prowess. He was able to hold a guy up on his own until others joined him, and if we didn't win a turnover, it always slowed the opposition down. At the moment, I feel our biggest problem is lack of bulk/physicality, so we're finding it impossible to slow teams down, and once they take it through a few phases all they need to do is spread it out wide and they're in.

He was a monster in our big games last year

Quins, Biarritz and Leinster at home, our 3 best performances, he was to the forefront, choke tackling, massive carries, lineouts

More
10 years 11 months ago #20434

I agree with given the young lads a shout, but every time i seen heffernan play he has being shocking and young walsh is to small at the mo he really needs to bulk up

More
10 years 11 months ago #20437

[/quote]

I would agree that the first team currently would probably be fairly similar for many, what i mean really is the other provinces mostly leave out many of their high profile more established players for a large number of matches to give up and coming academy stars exposure so they can gain experience and step in or challenge for places, just look at the backrow etc options leinster have now and the age profile, mccarthy is lounging on the bench lots of times. It seems to be the ideology in Connacht that you play a more established player like swift, muldoon, duffy every game for 80mins thats madness imo.

15. So'oialo
14. Carr
13. Henshaw/Tonetti
12. McSharry
11. Healy/Poolman
10.?
9. Marmion[/quote]

You make perfect sense,but this is what was done in the Bradley years.Problem was that our away form was horrendous often resulting in serious kickings .Eric and Pat seem to have the similar attitude that you always pick the best 15 available (within reason)It's a fine line with certain players,especially Marmion playing too much Rugby.Best option is to be selective with which player's you are giving game time to and who they are playing beside .

Saying that,the time we gave Leinster a hiding in the sportsground,was from a team without a lot of first teamers.

logo