Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht v Ospreys 28th September 2013 K/O 17:00

More
10 years 11 months ago #20324

Craic Head wrote: I know that they get breasted in training, but just one word ...... Tackle. Basic technique, go low first and foremost if you can't get a two man tackle. Get big guys down quicker by chopping their legs.

Brian Murphy, 14 stone and tackles like he is a 17 stone flanker. keith Matthews was the same.Some lads need to take a leaf out of their book. Put the shoulder to the wheel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HappyG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #20325

Thought this evening was more disappointing than anything. Pack decent......kudos to Wilko in particular. But Christ the defence was horrendous. The Ospreys looked like they could walk in at will when they went wide. How the hell can a professional team not have a defence coach? Lam really needs to put the foot down on this....budget overruns or not - if they're serious about progression its a must.The line speed was abysmal. First up tackles were abysmal. Fair play to Danie.......he can pick a line. Id find a place for him every time. How often do we run onto the ball at pace? The pass is generally a foot behind the receiver. Get the basics right and we've a decent back row......without the basics not so much. 10/12 are big problem areas and we hevent better alternatives.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20328

First try was an interception.
One try came directly after a knock-on by Heenan.
Another directly after a box-kick by Marmion that went straight into touch.
Basic errors that led to tries.
I think that while there is reason to be disheartened, I think that the reason to be optimistic also. Much more than last weekend.
I think that his knock-on notwithstanding, Heenan is a class act. Connacht Clan boy, Healy had a good game until he retired injured (no clan logo on big screen when he was introduced before match). Henshaw, Griffin and Pooleman had good games today as did the front row. Henry was good in lineouts until he tired towards the end and missed a few. Wilkinson did well, and White was as dependable as ever. Clarke was good and Muldownney was good when he came on.
I worry for the Saracens match as they will capitalize on every single error but that won't make or break our season.
I don't think Lam has decided on his first choice team yet, and when he does it'll make for a more stable outfit.

• HappyG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #20329

Heenan has certainly looked quality thus far. Willie is a big loss but to have a quality replacement like Jakes great. Henry lineouts were mainly decent. Its so frustrating that we're so bloody close to getting it right but the defence is driving me cracked. If I were told we'd have a 26 point haul vs the Ospreys id have think we'd be laughing....not so much

More
10 years 11 months ago #20333

Absolutely beat out the gate. Fishing for positives I'd highlight Wilko, Heenan, Henshaw and Poolman. Again Heenan was our best player, he's an absolute gem of player from the looks of it. Don't be fooled by the 2nd half display. We got within 3 points because the Ospreys took their foot off the gas and when they were in any daneger, they just flicked the switch and walked in more tries.
We are still over complicating things. Why do management think we want to see this run from anywhere any throw the ball around 7's style rugby. It won't work, especially when we try and run from our own 22. People have already mentioned our defense, so there's no point repeating that.

@The_Culk

More
10 years 11 months ago #20334

The lineout could be a real weapon for us with Clarke in there, and with Browne, Heenan is rangy, Muldowney, Naoupu we've got some good jumpers.

We should be targetting opposition lineouts and making our own a real strength. If we can do this then we can play smart rugby, and Parks can pin teams back when it needs to happen. This all singing all dancing stuff is not going to work. We have to be intelligent. Our lineout can become an area of strength and if we can disrupt the opposition, the territory game should be played when it's needed.

I'm all for throwing the ball around when we can. Stopping the constant garryowens is a positive. But when the ball needs to go off the or there is nothing on around midfield after a few phases and we're in danger of coughing up a pen or worse turnover possession, give it back to Parks and let him knock it into the corner

Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Porterbelly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla

• Mayo girl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #20335

I agree with what you said about Brian Murphy and my concern is why he not being featured at all. Brian knows how to tackle and we really need him, with the way our defence is playing at the moment.

Hope to see him on the pitch soon

• mareegoo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #20336

mcsharry cannot come back quick enough

before his injury less kiss had him on his shortlist - he likes him a lot runs good lines and boy can he tackle

yes wilko had a good game but buckley is for the fast game we seem to be perserving with......

on the expansive game note, why the hell do we continue to run from our own 22 several times we had the opportunity to do it and we just ran with it....shocking why cant we do it from the 22 - halfway line instead..... ffs even the all blacks clear their lines within their own 22

More
10 years 11 months ago #20337

While I was disappointed that we lost out on a win and in particular a losing bp, there was a lot to keep the heart warm as well. there was a style on display, there was a desire and and a belief in what they are doing and what way they are playing. There was belief that they can win these games and should win these games.

this was a good ospreys team, unbeaten this year, with 4 lions and numerous internationals, granted we coughed up some soft tries but its clear that something is happening with the Connacht squad.

theres work to be done, but when we get there it will be worth it.

Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door.

Connacht Clan– Sales and Sponsorship
Email: peterg@connachtclan.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom, connolly, overstrander, Wasrednowgreen

More
10 years 11 months ago #20346

Ospreys will be in top4 at end of season. Question is will Connacht be in bottom 4? As of now answer is yes. In spite of Irish and welsh jour no opinion this is a tough lge. What's happening is worrying but losing to ulster and ospreys is expected. Wind are a bonus. That leaves Glasgow, Munster and Leinster to get 1 win against but the other home Gamez have to be won.

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
10 years 11 months ago #20350

I think we are going in the right direction, and I like what Lam's trying to do. The problem is concentration in defense. The first try came because the entire team switched off when the penalty advantage was given. Went to sleep waiting for the penalty to be awarded, and Ospreys got a try!
Tebaldi's try was the same: the players were looking to see who he would offload to instead of hitting him.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

More
10 years 11 months ago #20353

Diom wrote: I think we are going in the right direction, and I like what Lam's trying to do.

I didn't see the match but I agree. I see a lot of similarities with what Rob Penney was trying to do with Munster last season, placing more of an emphasis on basic skills - passing and running, which may not pay immediate dividends but will have to make us better in the long run.

"Our march is quite slow y'know, when we get to where we want to get to, it's going to take time, but when we get there it's going to be fantastic." - Johnny O'Connor 2013

More
10 years 11 months ago #20354

Decadence wrote:

Diom wrote: I think we are going in the right direction, and I like what Lam's trying to do.

I didn't see the match but I agree. I see a lot of similarities with what Rob Penney was trying to do with Munster last season, placing more of an emphasis on basic skills - passing and running, which may not pay immediate dividends but will have to make us better in the long run.

Well it didn't work for Munster and they've pretty much gone back to their old traditional values

More
10 years 11 months ago #20355

Porterbelly wrote: Well it didn't work for Munster and they've pretty much gone back to their old traditional values

So we should go back to our traditional values of targeting games and getting whipped in every away game? :evil:

The following user(s) said Thank You: swift4prez

More
10 years 11 months ago #20357

Porterbelly wrote:

Decadence wrote:

Well it didn't work for Munster and they've pretty much gone back to their old traditional values

No they haven't. They are blending the two together. Last season they were throwing it wide too quick and not making the hard yards. I'm on record here as saying that's Connachts problem also but it was a problem before lam arrived as was defence.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Decadence, phatguerilla

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
10 years 11 months ago #20358

rossie wrote:

Porterbelly wrote:

Decadence wrote:

No they haven't. They are blending the two together. Last season they were throwing it wide too quick and not making the hard yards. I'm on record here as saying that's Connachts problem also but it was a problem before lam arrived as was defence.

Actually defence wasn't, certainly not in the last two seasons, where our defensive rating was actually higher than our league position (-112 points for seaosn 11/12, -64 for 12/13). It's been a good while since we've seen anywhere near 50 points put on us, and that in participating in the HEC against much better opponents too.

Whatever about pre-season, it's the competitive games where the squad (an all the new players and coaches) learns about how they're really working together. It's still very early days, so they (and we) shouldn't lose our nerve and stay positive. We need a lucky break with injuries and a result or two, no more than any previous season. Losses make new players uncertain, and older players wary. A few wins will bond them all together, and they'll relax into a collective groove.

It'll come, may take a few more losses but it'll come. And was pointed out before with one of our strongest ever squads previously we went on a 14 game losing streak, so we all need to keep a sense of perspective.....

The following user(s) said Thank You: swift4prez, Decadence, Shelflife

logo