Search Our Site

Topic-icon Cardiff Blues v Connacht, Friday 13/09/2013 1905

• galway_gas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 week ago #19560

phatguerilla wrote:

Darragh507 wrote: we got to win this

Agreed, especially as the squad is near to full strength. I think we won this fixture last year and lost the home game is that right? Should be looking for the double this year imo. Also there doesn't seem to be any mention of Frank Murphy in that squad update, didn't he pull out before the Zebre game, anyone know what that was about/if its sorted?

Correct. And we should have won the home game as well. I haven't heard what happened murphy at last minute but I'm coming around to thinking that POD should be our number 2 SH. From what we saw in brief Castres highlights he looked sharp and scored a good try. Similarly at weekend was heavily involved in Carr's try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #19561

sea_point wrote:

RonanL wrote:

gaillimhabu wrote: TG4 it is so...Someone to pick BBC over our own irish channel.. Tut tut RonanL

You should change your username in respect to Ronan Loughney who is fluent in Irish

Unlike my namesake, I don't speak Irish fluently and I like to be able to understand the commentary, hence the preference for BBC Wales.

You don't need to speak any particular language fluently to watch a rugby match to be honest. 95% of it is stating the bleeding obvious.. ;)

Before BT very kindly gave me their TV channels for free (incl ESPN), for two seasons I used to watch the Top 14 highlights programme on TV5 Monde. My French is at very best rudimentary and nowhere near commentary speed that's for sure.

Even the most basic Irish should see you through comfortably, and sure you might even pick up a couple of focaíl freisin... :woohoo:

www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/rugby-on-tg4/dictionary.html

Thanks Seapoint. I've watched plenty of games on TG4 but when a good English language equivalent is available I'll take it every time. Personal choice. While we're on the topic, I watched the BBC Wales coverage of the Leinster game last weekend and I thought it was very good - I even found Jonathan Davies' commentary entertaining at times, some good one liners.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 1 week ago #19562

connachta wrote: I'd love to hear your "rudimentary French" :woohoo:

Trust me, you wouldn't... ;)

Tis a rare, and ugly thing... :oops:

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 1 week ago #19563

I wouldn't be so sure about a win in Cardiff. We did very well there last year and were on a roll, but Cardiff have improved their squad on last year. We have the quality to win away, but they won't be pushovers in their first home game in front of a fan base that have expectations of significantly improving on last years final place.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
11 years 1 week ago #19564

galway_gas wrote: Was reading at weekend that Cardiff visited the 3g pitches in UL (where munster are now based) earlier this year and eventually awarded the contract for their 4g pitch to the same Irish based contractor. www.tonypattersonsportsgrounds.com/

a few nice galleries of new Cardiff pitch here
www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-...ture-special-5709376

The pitch looks well in fairness. Fingers crossed for a dry evening, and a Connacht try fest........but I'll take a 3 nil win in the lashing rain :-)

More
11 years 1 week ago #19565

they don't have the strength of a few years ago with players either retiring or leaving, last week they only had 2 well known players on the field Matthew Rees and Bradley Davies, not going to be easy for us but this match is winnable.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 1 week ago #19566

It's definitely winnable, and I guess we'll know more when we see the team sheets, but I'd take an LBP right now. 5 pts from the first two games would be decent.

Having said that after the Blues we have to host Ulster and Ospreys as well as travel to Treviso and Leinster, so we've a pretty tough start to this season. A win on the road would set us up nicely.

Justice 4 Faruk

More
11 years 1 week ago #19567

This is a game Bradley would of 'targeted'. Send the A-Team!

Cardiff: In:
1. Gethin Jenkins (LH) from Toulon. Injured still after the Lions?
2. Matthew Rees (2) from Scarlets
3.Miles Normandale (lock) from Cardiff University RFC

Out: 1.
Ceri Sweeney (OH) to Exeter Chiefs huge loss
2. Jamie Roberts to Racing Métro huge loss
3.Campese Ma'afu (prop) to Nottingham
4. Tom James (wing) to Exeter Chiefs huge loss, 29 trys
5. Richard Mustoe (Retired) 6. Michael Paterson (lock) to Sale Sharks. 7. Corrie Hill to Moseley RFC 8. Andy Kyriacou (2)(retires) 9. Jake Cooper-Wooley to Wasps

Dave Finn ‏@Furlo 7m
#connachtrugby Injury Update: Bad News: Miah dislocated shoulder may need surgery: Clarke wont be risked; McKeon still a week away

I just noticed that the 12 games up to end of january, season ticket holders will be able to see 11 out of 12 games. Thats great, only game we'll miss is Edinburgh away!

More
11 years 1 week ago #19575

Still on the sidelines are forwards Eoin McKeon (ankle), Denis Buckley (shoulder) and Craig Clarke (calf). All three players will continue to be monitored over the coming weeks.

That would be a "cold" shoulder for Denis Buckley, I presume!

More
11 years 1 week ago #19576

You would expect Cardiff to be up for their home opener on their new pitch. I would like Connacht's chances better if Clarke was in the squad and probably McSharry as well. Will also need Parks to be nearly perfect with the boot and a step up from the Zebre game from most of the team for any chance at a win. I will be happy enough with a competitive game and a losing bonus point. If a few breaks go Connacht's way a win wouldn't be much of a surprise though.

More
11 years 1 week ago #19579

Cuthbert to start against Connacht.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24040488

Big test for Healy and/or Carr.

More
11 years 1 week ago #19664

Where the Celtic / Magners / Rabo journey all began:

news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/1497893.stm

Cardiff 3-6 Connacht
Connacht completed a Celtic League Grand Slam for Ireland with a surprise victory over highly-touted Cardiff on a rainswept afternoon at the Arms Park.

While the visitors deserved their celebrations for their control of the set-piece, new Cardiff coach Rudi Joubert, forced by injuries to field a side including 11 players under 25, now knows that his young replacements are not up to the job.

Cardiff took a third-minute lead through the boot of 19-year-old fly-half Nick Robinson, which was cancelled out by a penalty from Irish international Eric Elwood.

But in a disappointing opening period, there were no further scores.

The only suggestion of a Cardiff try came when giant Kiwi wing Craig Hudson broke clear before being halted by South African opposite number Wayne Munn while, at the other end, Paul Jones chased back for a try-saving tackle on Connacht back row Des Dillon.

After sporadic punch-ups involving the front rows it was scrum halves Ryan Powell and Chris Keane who eventually saw the yellow card shortly before the interval, followed by Connacht prop Dan McFarland for stamping.

Cardiff sent big guns Craig Quinnell, Peter Rogers and Kenneth Fourie into the fray early in the second half but it was Connacht who broke the deadlock with another Elwood penalty.

A breakaway move sparked by Rogers saw Hudson kick and chase to the Irish line, but full-back Gavin Duffy was able to get back and save the day.

Cardiff: Pen: N Robinson.
Connacht: Pens: E Elwood (2).

Cardiff: R Williams; C Hudson, J Robinson, M Allen, P Jones; N Robinson, R Powell; S John, G Woods, G Powell, A Jones, J Tait (capt), R Appleyard, M Griffin, R Sowden-Taylor.
Replacements: K Fourie, P Rogers, C Quinnell, D McShane, C Miller, P Muller, O Ashman.

Connacht: G Duffy; P Duignan, D Yapp, T Allnutt, W Munn; E Elwood, C Keane; D McFarland, M Uijs, P Bracken, M McConnell (capt), R Frost, M Swift, D Dillon, P Neville.
Replacements: R McCormack, T Kearns, C Rigney, J O'Connor, D Browne, E Reddan, M McHugh.

Referee: Rob Dickson (SRFU).

Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Borders no.2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla

More
11 years 1 week ago #19665

Some of the points ahead of the game on Friday in the post below.

Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Borders no.2.

More
11 years 1 week ago #19666

Cardiff Blues v Connacht – Cardiff Arms Park Rabo Direct Pro 12 Round 2
Friday 13th September 2013 Kick Off 19:05 On TV: BBC Wales & TG4

This Friday, Connacht travel to the Arms Park to take on the Cardiff Blues in Round 2 of the Rabo Direct Pro 12. Connacht started the season with a 27-16 win over Zebre and will travel with some hope having won at the same venue back in February. However, that was a rare victory at the famous ground with the previous victory dating back to a 6-3 win over Cardiff on the first weekend of the inaugural Celtic League. Cardiff are expected to be close to full strength and will expect to pick up their first win of the season.

Getting to Cardiff Arms Park
www.rugbygroundguide.com/cardiff.html#getting

Ticket Prices:
Adult £19-21 Senior £16-19 Juniors u16 £9-11

Cardiff Blues Stats
Founded: 2003 (Setup as a Regional Side)
Ground: Cardiff Arms Park
Capacity: 13,000
Captain: Matthew Rees
Director of Rugby: Phil Davies
Rabo Direct Pro 12 League Position 2012/13: 9th Points 38
Heineken Cup: 3rd in Pool 6 Points 6
Anglo-Welsh Cup: 3rd in Pool 2 Points 9
ERC European Ranking 11th (15 pts)

Previous League Fixture
Glasgow 22-15 Cardiff Blues

Next League Fixture:
Friday 20th September 2013 19.30 Cardiff Blues v Zebre @ Cardiff Arms Park

Heineken Cup (Pool 2)
Cardiff
Exeter
Glasgow
Toulon

Achievements
Anglo-Welsh Cup Champions 2008/09
European Challenge Cup Champions 2009/10

Players In
Gethin Jenkins (Toulon)(Prop)
Matthew Rees (Scarlets)(Hooker)
Miles Normandale (Cardiff Metropolitan University RFC)(Lock)

Players Out
Jake Cooper-Wooley (Wasps) (Prop)
Nathan Trevett (London Welsh) (Prop)
Campese Ma’afu (Nottingham) (Prop)
Michael Paterson (Sale Sharks) (Lock)
Cory Hill (Moseley) (Lock)
Ceri Sweeney (Exeter)(Out-Half)
Jason Tovey (Dragons) (Out-Half)
Tom James (Exeter)(Wing)
Jamie Roberts (Racing Métro)(Centre)

Previous Meetings
Connacht have met Cardiff Blues on 20 previous occasions and have only emerged winners on 3 occasions. Below are links to the reports on our meetings with Cardiff Blues last season:

Saturday 1st September 2012 Rabo Direct Pro 12
Connacht 9 – 13 Cardiff Blues
www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/2467.php

Friday 22nd February 2013 Rabo Direct Pro 12
Cardiff Blues 22 – 26 Connacht
www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/12331.php

Cardiff Supporter Expectations
www.rugbynetwork.net/main/cardiff-blues/...cheerful-and-fearful [/quote]

The following user(s) said Thank You: Decadence, phatguerilla, pinky

More
11 years 1 week ago #19669

Up on the front page now. Great to see lots of regular news content coming through, great work folks

"Our march is quite slow y'know, when we get to where we want to get to, it's going to take time, but when we get there it's going to be fantastic." - Johnny O'Connor 2013

More
11 years 1 week ago #19671

The Cardiff pitch will suit running open rugby. I definitely think we should leave Swifty and Mul in reserve and start with Heenan and Muldowney ahead of them. We need horses for courses here and a more mobile pack will be required.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachta

logo