Topic-icon Cardiff Blues v Connacht, Friday 13/09/2013 1905

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
10 years 11 months ago #20349

Porterbelly wrote:

RockSalt wrote: Who told you - I find it really hard to believe either of those statements could possibly be true.

If this referee was considered to be inadequate at this level I would expect him to be retrained, more closely supervised and monitored whilst refereeing lower grade matches. Whilst he might not be picked for any more games in the Pro12 until he was considered suitable, it would be an odd decision to announce he was 'banned' for a year.

I also find it hard to believe Connacht, alone, got a letter of 'apology'. If so, it's shocking. It's tantamount to saying this guy's a cheat.

It's true, he has been sacked

I imagine that it's a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. The ref will probably not ref a Pro12 match for a long while but he is still a ref, and can be back in Italy for a while learning the trade. Unless he is being labelled a cheat, in which case we should demand a replay.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20352

A quick google search shows he's now part of a referee exchange and reffed a ProD2 game this w/e. Few months there should make or break him.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20362

I wonder is there any connection between this and the unusually favourable (for us) penalty count on Saturday? I didn't see the match so not sure how many of the penalties were soft/borderline (or indeed how many might have been awarded against us but weren't); does seem like a bit of a coincidence though. Probably nothing in it.

Still, it would be nice to think refs might be inclined to give us the benefit of the doubt for a while...

More
10 years 11 months ago #20366

We were full value for our penalty count. The Ospreys scrum was on a knot and there were a couple tackles of the ball as well. Ref gave them several warnings but bottled carding anyone.

More
10 years 11 months ago #20430

RockSalt wrote: Who told you - I find it really hard to believe either of those statements could possibly be true.

If this referee was considered to be inadequate at this level I would expect him to be retrained, more closely supervised and monitored whilst refereeing lower grade matches. Whilst he might not be picked for any more games in the Pro12 until he was considered suitable, it would be an odd decision to announce he was 'banned' for a year.

I also find it hard to believe Connacht, alone, got a letter of 'apology'. If so, it's shocking. It's tantamount to saying this guy's a cheat.

This came from a member of the squad, they said the received a letter of apology and being told that he is banned from the rabo games

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
10 years 11 months ago #20438

connolly wrote:

This came from a member of the squad, they said the received a letter of apology and being told that he is banned from the rabo games

I suspect he was paraphrasing, REF's do not get banned from games unless they are corrupt and then it would be a blanket ban from al competitions under IRB auspices.

So if he refereed Pro2 France at the weekend just gone then he isn't banned at all. He will have been dropped form the Pro12 Ref's Panel, which is very different.

More
10 years 10 months ago #21537

Confirmation in a quote from Pat Lam http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/leinster-get-the-benefit-of-the-doubt-to-emerge-with-hard-fought-victory-1.1575363 that the referee in question was dropped down the levels and an apology was received.

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by sea_point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom

logo