Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Munster v Connacht 23/03 17:45 Musgrave Park TG4

Poll: Are you going?

Yes boy
3 15%
No you langer
17 85%
Total number of voters: 20 ( Wasrednowgreen, Magpie, wp_rathead, phatguerilla, columoc ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Funk It
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #15687

Not a whole lot of mention about Downey, he is one who is always up for proving himself against Connacht after being let go, by all rights there should be an extra edge to his game tomorrow.

"...I don't know, I always wanted to put one up on Connacht after that and I remember being really determined playing against them afterwards with Northampton.

"Without being too harsh, maybe I wanted to stick two fingers up at them."

www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/vi...knocks-28818094.html

Is McSharry fit for this game? Would be a great battle if he is going toe-to-toe in the midfield with Downey.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
11 years 5 months ago #15688

I am worried most about Laulala simply because he is the most unpredictable, but hopefully with ROG and Faloon the ball will be ponderously slow out to the backs. ROG's confidence will be knocked and he will have the added pressure of wanting to pull a performance from the bag in front of his friends and neighbours.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #15689

Diom wrote: I am worried most about Laulala simply because he is the most unpredictable, but hopefully with ROG and Faloon the ball will be ponderously slow out to the backs. ROG's confidence will be knocked and he will have the added pressure of wanting to pull a performance from the bag in front of his friends and neighbours.

Not sure about pinning hopes on ROG's confidence being knocked or pressure of playing in Cork. Don't think it is in his makeup. IMO he's due a good game and will be out to prove a point. His worst excesses of late have been down to seeing himself as SuperROG, and maybe that is what we should be hoping for.

Too many leaders in that Munster side for them to slip up IMO. And this is a game made for Swifty. I can't see beyond a controlled Munster win.

Plus after every break this season - Start of the league, October, February, we have lost the first game back.

Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Creedence.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 5 months ago #15690

Connacht XV

15. Robbie Henshaw
14. Danie Poolman
13. Eoin Griffin
12. Dave McSharry
11. Gavin Duffy (captain)
10. Dan Parks
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
2. Jason Harris-Wright
3. Nathan White
4. Mick Kearney
5. George Naoupu
6. Andrew Browne
7. Willie Faloon
8. John Muldoon

Replacements: Adrian Flavin, Denis Buckley, Ronan Loughney, Mike McCarthy, Eoin McKeon, Paul O’Donohoe, Miah Nikora, Fetu’u Vainikolo

Justice 4 Faruk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom

More
11 years 5 months ago #15691

thats a decent team. wud prob prefer mckeon at 8 myself but its strong. scrum and lineout should be solid and backs pretty much full strength. weather will play its part but with 2 of the best kickers of a ball of the last 10-15 yrs on the pitch it should be an interesting battle. selection more than capable of a lbp. munsters approach will determine if there is more on offer.( assuming connacht turn up).

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 5 months ago #15692

archer scrummaged and carried well against italy last week. dont be surprised if rog throws the shackles off and kicks connacht off the park. he tried v ospreys and was out by inches. its if they try to run the ball is where connacht might have joy.

I was pleasantly surprised about Archer but considering how I rated him before that it probably wasn't hard he seems to be improving though so fair play to him. ROG might have a great game to prove his doubters wrong for dropping him but I can't see it I don't think he has that X factor anymore.

As for Connacht why Muldoon at 8?! The last time he played there it wasn't a huge success. I know he needs game-time but bringing him back out of position is not the way to do it.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
11 years 5 months ago #15693

We've the better backline by a country mile and some real impact players on the bench (Buckley Loughs Macca McKeon Fetu) but you'd fancy their starting pack over ours. At the very least we should be able to avoid the traditional blowout.

More
11 years 5 months ago #15694

connachtexile wrote:
As for Connacht why Muldoon at 8?!

Browne's the starting 6 now I'd say, so he might find himself playing all over the backrow next year.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

• OldSchool
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #15696

Good Team
Backrow picked to complete at the breakdown with the current weather conditions a lot is going to be down to Rolland
Would like to see George @8 Macca starting and browne on the bench

More
11 years 5 months ago #15707

As most have said it's a decent side Connacht are putting out with some impact on the bench. Agree with OldSchool on George and Macca, but I'm actually surprised Macca is playing at all. Have Ireland thrown the player welfare policy out the window since it's done little of late helping with injuries? This game will be decided on what real influence ROG and the partnership of POC and DOC can exert. Think it's unrealistic to believe any of them could consistently have the impact they did 3-4 years ago, but an occasional reminder is always possible and Munster could use one from them in this game. A losing bonus point is certainly within reach and a poor performance from ROG could open the door for Connacht to get more.

More
11 years 5 months ago #15711

Muldoon at 8 is not ideal, can understand why they have brought George into the 2nd row but McKeown would be my choice at 8 after that. Either McCarthy is in or out, no point bringing him in with 15 minutes to go and we 20 points down. Apart from that the team and areas of the bench looks decent.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

More
11 years 5 months ago #15725

mcshaz out and murphy in.

More
11 years 5 months ago #15726

15-0 at ht. Game over already. Looks like another nil for Connacht in all honesty.

McSharry out and we are missing him. Mick Kearney should forfeit his weeks wages for his utter stupidity. As usual we have had opportunities which have gone astray for the lack of support runners. Scrum has gone fairly well but physically they are dominating, get McCarthy on now or else we might as well have left him at home.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 5 months ago #15727

rossie wrote: mcshaz out and murphy in.

Actually Murphy was one of the few players to come out of the game with any credit. Faloon did well too especially in the first half where he turned over some ball.

Serious questions about the planning, selection and the attitude,

Mul - again made absolutely no impact at eight he does not have the skill-set (pace/hands).
George - is not a second row for that level of game, auxiliary in desperate circumstances only.
Front Row - Wilko/JHW & White allowed themselves to be bullied for 55 minutes without any sign of a fight at all.

Way way way tooo passive, instead of absolutely smashing anything in Red for the first fifteen mins we sat back and gave them bloody carte blanche to fill their boots. At even 12-0 the game was over, and then with time up for the first half on the clock we give them a cheap extra three for good measure (for JHW not rolling away) so we're three scores behind at half time...

Where was the leadership from the front tonight?

Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by sea_point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Borders no.2, Shelflife, phatguerilla

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #15728

Borders no.2 wrote: 15-0 at ht. Game over already. Looks like another nil for Connacht in all honesty.

McSharry out and we are missing him. Mick Kearney should forfeit his weeks wages for his utter stupidity. As usual we have had opportunities which have gone astray for the lack of support runners. Scrum has gone fairly well but physically they are dominating, get McCarthy on now or else we might as well have left him at home.

That's 0 points from the three away interpro's this season. Really disappointing performance. Duffy, Murphy and Poolman were ok, that's about it. The forwards were pummelled. Faloon was the best of a bad lot and gave away how many penalties? Yet again Connacht come back after a break and are not up to speed. Game was won after 14 minutes.

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #15729

sea_point wrote: Actually Murphy was one of the few players to come out of the game with any credit. Faloon did well too especially in the first half where he turned over some ball.

Serious questions about the planning, selection and the attitude,

Mul - again made absolutely no impact at eight he does not have the skill-set (pace/hands).
George - is not a second row for that level of game, auxiliary in desperate circumstances only.
Front Row - Wilko/JHW & White allowed themselves to be bullied for 55 minutes without any sign of a fight at all.

Way way way tooo passive, instead of absolutely smashing anything in Red for the first fifteen mins we sat back and gave them bloody carte blanche to fill their boots. At even 12-0 the game was over, and then with time up for the first half on the clock we give them a cheap extra three for good measure so we're three scores behind at half time...

Where was the leadership from the front tonight?

Badly missed McCarthy and Swifty for leadership. And not sure that the front rows problem wasn't largely due to what was behind them. I though Brett looked like he did a lot of work in the loose. JHW was poor all over.

Another thing regarding the leadership - this policy of kicking to the corners and not taking points is madness. We had three easily kickable penalties wasted. 22-9 and you're playing for a bonus point. Put them over and get a bit of momentum ffs. It is soul destroying looking at a 0 on the scoreboard.

Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Creedence.

logo