Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Munster v Connacht 23/03 17:45 Musgrave Park TG4

Poll: Are you going?

Yes boy
3 15%
No you langer
17 85%
Total number of voters: 20 ( Wasrednowgreen, Magpie, wp_rathead, phatguerilla, columoc ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
11 years 6 months ago #15634

munster have confirmed that POC will start game on saturday. rest of team to be announced at lunchtime tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 6 months ago #15635

RogueXV wrote: Confident enough in Connacht's chance to win this though the 2nd row would be a concern if Macca ends up joining Swifty on the sidelines. Can't see Connacht overtaking Munster in the final table even with a win, but a win here would set them up better for finishing 7th especially with them heading to Treviso next week.

Table, schmable... Let's beat Munster first and worry about that at the end of the season... B)

If anything the little break since our last fixture favours the home team who have at least had a run out for a few of their likely starters in between ...

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 6 months ago #15643

There's a very good chance that Cathal Sheridan will be starting this game for Munster would like to see him in person to see how he does.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
11 years 6 months ago #15644

If we get anything out of this I'll be happy. We never play particularly well away to Munster and I'm sure they'll be eager to put things right after some dreadful performances recently.

Hopefully we can a full deck to chose from for the run in, if we can keep everyone fit I think we can have a good finish to the season.

More
11 years 6 months ago #15648

Shameless Plug/Thread Hijacking:

If you're not heading down to Cork, and are around Galway: remember we're having a meetup/event in Massimos from about 5 onwards.

More
11 years 6 months ago #15652

Musgrave park never really gets a huge crowd because they send the traditionally poorly attended games there anyway, didn't Easterby make a joke about only getting to play in Thomond because it was the Heineken Cup?

I was talking to the lads in Sheridans and there's plenty of space on the bus, trying to convince some of the lads to take up the offer right now.

More
11 years 6 months ago #15664

I would take up the sheridan offer but I'm staying with friends in cork who will also be goin to the match... I'm looking forward to the game- id happily take a lbp, I think some people may be underestimating munster . Yes their form is poor but our record away to them atrocious

More
11 years 6 months ago #15666

i agree with wp. if penney finds the bottle snd picks a team to suit his style or alternatively adapts his style to suit the players it could be a long night. we will know answer by who he picks at 10-12. the pressure from dublin must be off to pick rog now who just isnt suited to the penney game. if he goes rog- downey and continues to play same way then connacht have a great chance.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile, wp_rathead

More
11 years 5 months ago #15675

Just One Of The Os Missing
21 March 2013, 2:06 pmBy The Editor
The return of Paul O'Connell provides the main talking point of Rob Penney's Munster selection that'll resume their RaboDirect PRO12 campaign on Saturday against Connacht at Musgrave Park (5.45)
O'Connell is back in the starting XV for the first time since October and all credit to the Munster Medical and S&C staff for having him back weeks ahead of schedule.
Penney has made just three changes from the side that drew with Ospreys, all those up front and more specifically in the back five.

Not surprisingly O’Connell’s return forces Billy Holland to the bench and just as unsurprisingly Donncha O’Callaghan gets to partner him while in the backrow Sean Dougall returns to the starting line-up for the first time since the January 9th League encounter with Edinburgh.

The backline remains the same as does the front row while Niall Ronan is included in the match day squad for the first time since November.

Short just five front line players, Conor Murray, Donnacha Ryan, Peter O’Mahony and the injured pair of Keith Earls and Luke O’Dea, it’s a selection that gives due cognisance to the challenge faced on Saturday and the importance of the game.

There’s only one play off place within Munster’s reach and they vie for that fourth spot with Ospreys and Scarlets so all eyes will be on the Stadio XXV Aprile and Liberty Stadium tomorrow night when Scarlets play Zebre and Ospreys take on Dragons.

But while those games will give Munster a clearer understanding where they stand, before a ball is kicked this weekend, they know exactly what’s required from them in Musgrave Park on Saturday evening.

Munster:
F Jones;
D Howlett,
C Laulala,
J Downey,
D Hurley;
R O’Gara,
C Sheridan;
D Kilcoyne,
D Varley,
S Archer;
Donncha O’Callaghan,
P O’Connell;
T O’Donnell,
S Dougall,
J Coughlan.

Replacements: M Sherry, W du Preez, BJ Botha, B Holland, N Ronan, D Williams, I Keatley, I Dineen.

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
11 years 5 months ago #15676

Penney has done everything he can to let us win this, now its up to Connacht to show up and perform.

• Funk It
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #15677

phatguerilla wrote: Penney has done everything he can to let us win this, now its up to Connacht to show up and perform.

Hmmm, I won't be so sure, we have all seen 2nd string Munster sides put us to the sword. Would be great if we could get a LBP even, but having won the last few games, confidence should be high in the squad.

Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Funk It.

More
11 years 5 months ago #15680

this munster team is set up to play 10 man rugby. i only hope that penney has the good sense to let them do so. if he sends this team out to play the penney way i give up all hope of him turning it around.

More
11 years 5 months ago #15682

phatguerilla wrote: Penney has done everything he can to let us win this, now its up to Connacht to show up and perform.

I don't know, I think that's a strong Munster side, closer to first choice than 2nd choice. I wouldn't hold much hope having seen that team.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 5 months ago #15683

If you take out O'Gara and Archer its a fairly strong Munster team but there are major concerns if your a Munster supporter. Gotta say as this season continues I've lost more and more respect for Penney as a coach. He seems scared to make the big decisions and this compromise attitude he's taking seems to be burying Munster (that could work for us though). The boys will be going in to this with confidence and that Munster scrum doesn't look scary it's also not the POC & DOC of years past so touch wood we should get something out of this.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
11 years 5 months ago #15685

archer scrummaged and carried well against italy last week. dont be surprised if rog throws the shackles off and kicks connacht off the park. he tried v ospreys and was out by inches. its if they try to run the ball is where connacht might have joy.

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
11 years 5 months ago #15686

Borders no.2 wrote:

I don't know, I think that's a strong Munster side, closer to first choice than 2nd choice. I wouldn't hold much hope having seen that team.

I just like to be over-confident lol. Its like rossie said though if they play penney style it will be very difficult for them to win. If they play 10 man rugby (made more likely by doc and poc being back) then they have a chance. I think the backs set up is pretty weak though, howlett is not the player he was pace wise, hurley has always been slow, downey can't function to full effect off deep rog ball and laulala's role will be minimised as a result. There's always the chance that penney and rog have clicked over the last week in training but I can't see that happening. If Keatley were starting I'd be much less confident tbh.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom

logo