Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Match Thread - Connacht vs Ospreys 15/2/13

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 7 months ago #14801

salmson wrote: That's an overly harsh assessment of our passing I'd say. Ospreys had twice as many handling errors as we did.

Sure, they had a load of handling mistakes, and it is fair to say that we lost possession less than normal through unforced errors. But that is only half the story really. Just because someone doesn't knock it on doesn't mean it is was a decent pass, and in general I felt that they moved the ball much quicker and crisper than us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #14802

Penney has been a disappointment so far. He talks a great game but appears to be losing something in translation because in a lot of games the performance has been flat and are turned over far too often at the breakdown due to lack of numbers. He also appears to be a yes man for the irfu which is very worrying.

Agreed. I think he's also being a bit of a coward. Another manager would have taken O'Gara off after 60 minutes and given Hanrahan or Keatley a chance to turn the game round. I think his big test will be in the signings he makes this summer which will be his first in charge to see how he goes.

Creedence wrote:

But that is only half the story really. Just because someone doesn't knock it on doesn't mean it is was a decent pass, and in general I felt that they moved the ball much quicker and crisper than us.

The Osprey's scrumhalf was easily their best player by a long shot and watching the game on TV the best player on the pitch that night. Thankfully the other 14 around him were so-so. Thought Marmion was average by his standards. It happens on occasion.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
11 years 7 months ago #14826

connachtexile wrote: The Osprey's scrumhalf was easily their best player by a long shot and watching the game on TV the best player on the pitch that night. Thankfully the other 14 around him were so-so.

Agree. He was very aware of what was going on and it every Osprey player were playing to that standard we would have been on the losing side.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

More
11 years 7 months ago #14828

My predictions about the ref were about as accurate as my usual predictions!! Have to hold my hand up and say he had a half decent game on the whole, we have had a lot worse anyways.

Was really pleased to see Muldoon and Faloon back and impacting on the game but was delighted to see Griffin playing with real purpose and threat again in attack and put in some good hits in D as well. Thought Mick Kearney had a decent game too doing a lot of the dog work around the track. H-Wright is getting better with everygame.

For me far to many positives to put any type of a negative analysis on the team or individual performances.

• swift4prez
  • swift4prez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #14834

more good news

Two Ospreys' players have been cited for foul play following the RaboDirect PRO12 match against Connacht at the Sportsground in Galway on Friday night.

Joe Bearman and Ross Jones have been cited for an alleged dangerous tackle contrary to Law 10.4(j), in the 27th minute.
Both players will be required to attend a hearing before an three man independent RaboDirect Pro12 disciplinary committee, the date and venue of which will be confirmed separately.

Law 10.4(j) states: "Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the groundwhilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play."

There will be no further comment on this matter from Ospreys Rugby.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

More
11 years 7 months ago #14913

I agree with most people saying tonetti and and faloon had great games, but for me i thought poolman was outstanding the last night

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 7 months ago #14920

connolly wrote: I agree with most people saying tonetti and and faloon had great games, but for me i thought poolman was outstanding the last night

I refer you to my earlier post.....

sea_point wrote: Wille Faloon and Danie Poolman...

That is all..... :)

Injuries apart, Faloon has been outstanding. He is performing exactly like you would hope a player who has been allowed leave by his native province would (with an "I'll show the feckers" attitude). Just cannot fault the lad in any aspect of his performances thus far.

And Poolman game by game is growing in confidence (not that he's had a bad game yet, quiet perhaps but not bad...). He's got a beautiful combination of balance and power when he runs, and a great turbo when he drifts and spots a gap. He's strong but not a basher, would love to see him playing alongside McSharry for a run of games just to see how that'd work (sorry Griff)...

More
11 years 7 months ago #14924

Sorry SP didn't spot that post my bad

• swift4prez
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #14957

Disciplinary Update - Joe Bearman and Ross Jones21

The results of the Joe Bearman and Ross Jones citings...

At a hearing in Scotland Wednesday, Joe Bearman and Ross Jones of Ospreys appeared before an independent RaboDirect PRO12 Disciplinary Committee comprised of Sheriff Kathrine Mackie (Scotland, chair), Pamela Woodman (Scotland) and Rob Flockhart (Scotland), both having been cited for an infringement of Law 10.4(j) (lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground) in the match between Connacht and Ospreys on 15 February 2013.

In the case of Joe Bearman, the Disciplinary Committee found that the player had committed the act of foul play, and found that it merited a low end entry point. After applying aggravating and mitigating factors, the Disciplinary Committee imposed a sanction of four weeks. Based on the playing schedule of the player, and pursuant to clauses 7.6.36 and 7.6.42 of the RaboDirect PRO12 Disciplinary Rules, the Disciplinary Committee determined that the period of suspension should run until 24 March 2013. The player will be free to play from 25 March 2013 and has a right of appeal.

In the case of Ross Jones, the Disciplinary Committee found that the player had committed the act of foul play, and found that it merited a low end entry point. After applying aggravating and mitigating factors, the Disciplinary Committee imposed a sanction of three weeks, to run until 10 March 2013. The player will be free to play from 11 March 2013 and has a right of appeal.

NOTE:
Clause 7.6.36 of the RaboDirect PRO12 Disciplinary Rules reads (in relevant part): 'the IRB sanctions for Foul Play ... are drafted on the basis that a one-week period of suspension would ordinarily result in a player missing one match.'
Clause 7.6.42 of the RaboDirect PRO12 Disciplinary Rules reads (in relevant part): 'in determining the length of any period of suspension, the Disciplinary Committee shall take into consideration all playing consequences of such a suspension and exclude ... any periods in which the Player is not fit, available and expected to play ....'

thats a disgrace how short they are

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
11 years 7 months ago #14959

Not defending the decision at all but warburton only got 3 weeks for his spear tackle in the world cup. The whole suspension system needs to be reassessed and especially this business of mitigating circumstances being applied after the ban (ie deciding to give a player 6 weeks then bringing it down afterwards for apologising).

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #14961

What annoys me is the inconsistency of it. The English U20 lad got 7 weeks and two people together driving a person in the ground get less? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

• swift4prez
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #14962

healy got 3week when he could of broken a leg. these guys got nearly the game same for nearly breaking a neck.
parisse got 40 days for saying something to the ref.
as you say exile, young english lad got 7 weeks

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 7 months ago #14966

The problem is the finding that it was 'low end', which means the number of weeks will always be lower. The tackle in the U20 game was deemed mid-range.

Faloon was able to get back up and didn't seem worse for wear. It probably looked a lot worse than it was, but in all honesty that shouldn't matter, a double-team tip tackle is even more dangerous than a single one and the finding that it's low end is laughable.

Justice 4 Faruk

logo