Search Our Site

Topic-icon Nevin Spence - Farm Accident Tragedy

• Borders no.2
  • Borders no.2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 5 days ago #9956

Heard on the news about the story of the farm accident. Can't put into words a desperate tragedy like this. There's no official confirmation but it looks like Ulster centre Nevin Spence is one of the deceased judging by comments all over the internet and on twitter. All so sad. Here's us complaining about the mistakes made in a rugby game today. Its all so irrelevant really after news like that.

Ian Humphreys‏@iHumph

Devastated to hear the news about Nevin Spence and his brother and dad. Prayers with all his family... RIP Nev, you'll never be forgotten...

Emergency crews were called to the scene on Drumlough Road outside the Co Down village after the alert was raised at 6pm.

But following a lengthy rescue operation police confirmed three men had died and a woman was taken to hospital for treatment.

An officer said: "The health and safety executive have been notified and will carry out an investigation in due course."

The men killed in the tragedy are believed to be two brothers and their father.

The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service said it responded to a 999 call at approximately 6.15pm following reports that at least three people had fallen into a slurry tank.

It said it immediately despatched three Rapid Response Paramedics, four Accident and Emergency vehicles and an ambulance service doctor to the scene.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service was also in attendance and pulled four people from the slurry pit.

A spokesman said: "Three were unconscious and NIAS paramedics commenced resuscitation efforts immediately assisted by other ambulance personnel.

"One of the four showed initial signs of responding to the efforts of the crews and was transported immediately to the nearby Lagan Valley Hospital, where unfortunately he died a short time later.

"Despite the best efforts of all involved the other two men died at the scene.

"A female was treated at the scene and taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital where she is recovering from the effects of fume inhalation."

The ambulance service said it extended its sympathies to those involved.

Last edit: 12 years 5 days ago by sea_point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: overstrander

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 days ago #9958

Tragic altogether!

@The_Culk

More
12 years 5 days ago #9959

Very sad news, hope that the sister will pull through, thoughts are with the family tonight.

Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door.

Connacht Clan– Sales and Sponsorship
Email: peterg@connachtclan.com

More
12 years 5 days ago #9960

RIP Nevin and brother and father.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 5 days ago #9962

Borders no.2 wrote: Heard on the news about the story of the farm accident. Can't put into words a desperate tragedy like this. There's no official confirmation but it looks like Ulster centre Nevin Spence is one of the deceased judging by comments all over the internet and on twitter. All so sad. Here's us complaining about the mistakes made in a rugby game today. Its all so irrelevant really after news like that.

Indeed everything else is just completely irrelevant when you read about a tragedy like that. Watched him in the U20 test game at the Aviva a couple of years back. A serious talent, he looked to have a massive rugby future ahead of himself.....

More
12 years 5 days ago #9963

RIP

Long time member, short time poster

• Greendragon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 5 days ago #9964

RIP. Condolences to the Spence familly at this tragic time.

More
12 years 5 days ago #9966

Devastating news that we have lost one of the brightest stars of Irish rugby in such a terrible accident. RIP Nevin.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 days ago #9975

Just heard the news now and in a state of shock. My thoughts go out to his family and Ulster Rugby a great player and a huge loss to Ulster, Ireland and Rugby in general.

EDIT: I'm sure there'll be a minutes silence at the next game. The Leinster and Munster fans are going to sing Stand Up for the Ulster Men after. I for one will be singing it to just wanted to put it out there if anyone wanted to join in.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers
Last edit: 12 years 4 days ago by connachtexile.

More
12 years 4 days ago #9976

Hard to find the words...... Distraught. The lad was a fantastic player and evidently a great person. Sincere condolences to his family and all at Ulster rugby.

More
12 years 4 days ago #9979

RIP Nevin, brother and father :(

i was in shock when i seen this late yesterday when i came in after the game.

More
12 years 4 days ago #9985

A complete tragedy. I only heard yesterday, but I still can't stop thinking about it. I can't even imagine how his Mum and sisters will go on, having lost the three men in such horrendous circumstances. Nevin's brother was married with two young children it seems. My heart goes out to them all. RIP.

PS: I think the idea of singing stand up for the ulster men after the minutes silence is a great one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 days ago #10018

Condolences to the Spence Family & to the Ulster Rugby community on this tragic loss. Nevin was destined for the Irish XV, a small player with a huge heart. I always admired his work ethic on the field. RIP Nevin

More
12 years 2 days ago #10025

A desperate accident. Cant bear thinking about the position that they found themselves in.
May they rest in peace and my thoughts are with the Mother, Sisters, Wives, Kids,and friends.
An awful blow to any family, team and community.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Borders no.2

More
11 years 11 months ago #10308

I know it has been mentioned in the match thread, and I know we're all in favour, but we should co-ordinate the plan to sing our tribute Friday night. I don't know if there's a minute's silence - I know it has been asked - but maybe when we know the answer, we can decide a suitable point to pay our respects. Is it worth asking the branch to see if an announcement can be made over the tannoy?

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 11 months ago #10338

Hi

Branch has confirmed that MInutes Silence will be observed prior to kickoff..

ConnachtRugbyFacebook wrote: Hi Ronan we are planning on holding a minute silence for Nevin, Noel and Graham Spence before the match begins

I would suggest that following up with SUFTUM at kickoff or just before would be optimum.

Once the game is in full flow it will be harder to get going, and at halftime there are other distractions (loo / beer breaks)....

Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by sea_point.

logo