Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht v Aironi - Match Thread - Sat 21/04/12

More
12 years 4 months ago #7022

Had to work so missed the game. Hoping to see "that kick " somewhere. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7023

55metres out, players jump on jarvis after

The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom, GTTC, The IMF, connachtexile

More
12 years 4 months ago #7025

Cheers S4P

More
12 years 4 months ago #7026

It looks like he would have slotted that from another 15m back too. What a boot on the boy.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7028

Yeah he cleared it by a mile! How strong was the wind??

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7032

Hey CE,
Will get a review of the events up once I get the pics from the photographer (volunteer member actually). I missed a few of the questions as I was running around trying to see what Ray's ETA was (he kept us waiting, the diva), but I was there for most of it. Was good craic, but we still had some problems with noise from the back of the room. Will need to route some audio to fill the bar fully for next season (if we have the funds).

Sweet! Thanks dude!

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7033

And a major well done to Dave on scoring the try. He has come in for a lot of criticism on here, including from yours truly. Great to see him back himself and get the score.

Justice 4 Faruk

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
12 years 4 months ago #7037

Dave? I didn't know Rodney's nickname was Dave. What's that about?

Yeah he has come in for criticism and a lot of it is deserved, but he did very well for the try, and has another year to prove himself.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

• Packie
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • FOUNDING FATHER
More
12 years 4 months ago #7040

Diom wrote: Dave? I didn't know Rodney's nickname was Dave. What's that about?

Yeah he has come in for criticism and a lot of it is deserved, but he did very well for the try, and has another year to prove himself.

Only fools and horses, trigger always called Rodney, Dave

Trigger

"if its a girl they're going to name her Sigourney after an actress and if its a boy they're going to call him Rodney, after Dave"

The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7043

It's also why Dragons fans call their home turf "Dave Parade"

Can't believe there are people who don't worship at the feet of Delboy, harrumph!

Justice 4 Faruk

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #7051

When I'm an old man I'm going to tell my grandkids about the day Matthew Jarvis kicked a penalty from Tonery's carpark to beat the great Aironi with the last kick of the game, and how the psychological impact was so great that Aironi only managed to play one more game before crumbling in the aftershock of such awesomeness.

Jokes aside, it was a monster kick, even if there was a breeze behind him. He was very eager to have a crack once the penalty was awarded, I don't think there were two many outside the white lines that gave him a hope. Great to see that confidence.

Overall, Connacht were appalling and deserved nothing from the game. Don't know whether the yellow card was warranted or not, but it changed the game, and emptying the bench helped. But we've been on the end of enough of those games where the better side lost. No co-incidence that when we turned the tables it was on a lower ranked side. Belief and confidence in your superiority is a great well to be able to draw from when the scoreboard is 'wrong'.

Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Creedence.

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 4 months ago #7052

Diom wrote: Hey CE,
Will get a review of the events up once I get the pics from the photographer (volunteer member actually). I missed a few of the questions as I was running around trying to see what Ray's ETA was (he kept us waiting, the diva), but I was there for most of it. Was good craic, but we still had some problems with noise from the back of the room. Will need to route some audio to fill the bar fully for next season (if we have the funds).

Great job on the forum guys, I was choking up a bit myself seeing Keith Matthews so emotional, you could see how much it meant to him. Ray really hates the limelight doesn't he?! He must have been onstage for 15 seconds max, hilarious! They'll both be sorely missed, absolute legends and it's fantastic that ye were able to let them know how appreciative of their efforts the supporters are and that they won't be forgotten. I thought TJ, Niall and Carolan came across very well too. Would love to see more of this sort of thing next season. As an aside I am a qualified sound engineer and am happy to help out in that department if ye ever need it.

Match-wise we were almost as poor as when we played them in Italy, couldn't put 2 passes together for most of it. That try will do Rodneys confidence the world of good but we all know he needs to spend the whole summer working on his scrummaging. Has Jarvis been tried at full-back before? He obviously has some boot on him, could be useful backup for Duffy. You have to feel for the Aironi fans, what a sickening way to lose your last away game ever. They're a good bunch, their plight reminds me of when we were almost disbanded, was it ten years ago?...*shudder*

“I wanna f#*kin' win, I wanna f#*kin' win..............BADLY”
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by menacethedenis.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7055

menacethedenis wrote: Has Jarvis been tried at full-back before? He obviously has some boot on him, could be useful backup for Duffy.

If anything he'll be fourth choice or even lower full back next year, with Duffy, TOH and Layden ahead of him.

• Edward Eagle
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 4 months ago #7056

Not for the first time I was coming out of a match saying "How did that happen!" but normally its due to grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory, winning ugly is a sign of progress!
;)

More
12 years 4 months ago #7064

its_phil wrote:

menacethedenis wrote: Has Jarvis been tried at full-back before? He obviously has some boot on him, could be useful backup for Duffy.

If anything he'll be fourth choice or even lower full back next year, with Duffy, TOH and Layden ahead of him.

Phil I was thinking the same thing earlier - having someone who has the ability to convert penalties from long distance is a real asset. Before anyone says it, I realise it was one wonder kick so we shouldn't get carried away, but it did prove he has great distance. Even if he only got 1 in 3 from that distance, it would keep the opposition honest. Looking at the video again, he could have been well inside his own 10 metre line and that kick would have made it. Unreal.

More
12 years 4 months ago #7075

RonanL wrote: Phil I was thinking the same thing earlier - having someone who has the ability to convert penalties from long distance is a real asset. Before anyone says it, I realise it was one wonder kick so we shouldn't get carried away, but it did prove he has great distance. Even if he only got 1 in 3 from that distance, it would keep the opposition honest. Looking at the video again, he could have been well inside his own 10 metre line and that kick would have made it. Unreal.

It's nice to have someone who can do damage from long range again, like Mark McHugh.

logo