Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Fetu'u Vainikolo

More
11 years 10 months ago #11349

Thought his form improved in recent weeks. My one slight criticism is last Saturday he made some powerful breaks but often didn't look outside and took back into contact when a pass outside was the better option. He can get us in behind at times but could do with a bit more awareness on occasion to maximise the benefit of the initial break

However overall I'm much happier with him now than earlier in the season and he has contributed more in the last couple of home games than Tiernan O'Halloran in fairness. If one was to make way at present for Poolman to come in I'd keep Vainikolo in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11359

Fets has definitely improved. He's still ropey under a high ball, he can't really kick, and his tackling is poor. But as people have already said, he works really hard, and when he gets the chance, he can make something happen. For me, Tiernan comes across as being an arrogant young lad who is enjoying the attention he gets a little too much. I'd drop him ahead of Fets in a heartbeat at the moment.

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #11363

In fairness to him, a lot of his tries are 'something out of nothing' tries, rather than straight forward, ball out the line and winger in in the corner tries. I don't think we create that sort of chance for our wingers for whatever reason.

He offers a great counter attacking threat. Great moment the last day when he took off and ran straight into trouble. Queue moans and groans in the clan - next thing you know he's made another 20 yards.

RonanL wrote: For me, Tiernan comes across as being an arrogant young lad who is enjoying the attention he gets a little too much. I'd drop him ahead of Fets in a heartbeat at the moment.

I think that's a little harsh. Fetu has the maturity that comes with age. TOH isn't doing too badly - it is inevitable that the likes of him and Griffin suffer from second season syndrome.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11365

Creedence wrote: In fairness to him, a lot of his tries are 'something out of nothing' tries, rather than straight forward, ball out the line and winger in in the corner tries. I don't think we create that sort of chance for our wingers for whatever reason.

He offers a great counter attacking threat. Great moment the last day when he took off and ran straight into trouble. Queue moans and groans in the clan - next thing you know he's made another 20 yards.

RonanL wrote: For me, Tiernan comes across as being an arrogant young lad who is enjoying the attention he gets a little too much. I'd drop him ahead of Fets in a heartbeat at the moment.

I think that's a little harsh. Fetu has the maturity that comes with age. TOH isn't doing too badly - it is inevitable that the likes of him and Griffin suffer from second season syndrome.

I'm happy to admit that my opinion on Tiernan may be harsh. Before he started playing for the senior team, I used to see him strutting around the sports ground at matches, looking like he's the man......I'm probably just jealous! Anyway, for me, Fets is the form winger, and I want to see if Poolman is any good. So, if someone has to make way, then I think it should be Tiernan and not Fets. That is all :-)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11366

RonanL I have to defend TOH, we met him and Fets after the parma game. they both posed for pics with my kids, I went up to the bar and on my return found that they had joined our table and were chatting away having the craic with my wife and kids, certainly nothing arrogant about him at all.

They stayed at our table for most of the night and the craic was had by all.

This was the first time I ever met them.

At the quins game my son made a point of meeting them again and both players had a quick word with him and chatted about the parma trip.

Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door.

Connacht Clan– Sales and Sponsorship
Email: peterg@connachtclan.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: wp_rathead

More
11 years 10 months ago #11368

Sounds like I'm on my own!

Despite my irrational (based on very little) bad opinion of the lad, I do really hope he pushes on and represents Connacht (and maybe someday Ireland) with distinction, because he is one of our local talents. Having said that, I don't think being local should benefit him too much when it comes to selection. And I still believe he could do with a kick up the ar$e that spending some time on the bench would achieve. Anyway, time will tell - poolman might be rubbish!

More
11 years 10 months ago #11369

I've being a big fan of Fets since he came, he has shown great potential since arriving. I was talking to the lad after the last game last year and he said he was suffering from homesickness last season.He's a very humble lad from what I took from the chat. He wouldn't take any praise. He did promise that we would see a different player this year and so far he has being through to his word. We really have to use him alot more and give him the ball when he's running onto it, instead of static passing. His pace and power and quick feet (apart from fionn) is something we have being missing in the last few years.

The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #11375

connolly wrote: I've being a big fan of Fets since he came, he has shown great potential since arriving. I was talking to the lad after the last game last year and he said he was suffering from homesickness last season.He's a very humble lad from what I took from the chat. He wouldn't take any praise. He did promise that we would see a different player this year and so far he has being through to his word. We really have to use him alot more and give him the ball when he's running onto it, instead of static passing. His pace and power and quick feet (apart from fionn) is something we have being missing in the last few years.

Our other backs need to tune into his lines of running, it was the same with Henry last season he'd make a great break look for the offload and find himself on his own having to take contact...

Think ability to read lines is the primary difference between SH (particularly KIwi/Islander) & NH backs we certainly don't see the interplay as consistently up here as they do down under...

More
11 years 10 months ago #11379

One of the things that impresses me about Fetu'u is that he goes looking for work. Often enough you hear how a wing went unused during a game, well sometimes a good wing can rectify that situation by getting himself to the ball rather than waiting for it to come to them. That's one of the differences I see between Fetu'u and TOH. I don't necessarily see arrogance from TOH maybe more complacency since no one is pushing him for his spot ATM. So a viable option and the threat of a benching could do him some good.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11381

I don't think Tiernan needs a kick up the arse at all. I think he's doing pretty well, but if your looking for the form winger in this squad it is definitely Fetu. To summarise I think Fetu's outstanding form is just overshadowing Tiernans decent performances.

I can't think of anything incredibly bad Tiernan has done to merit criticism. But yes I do agree that if we are to drop one for the sake of getting Poolman a game, and for the sake of rotation too, Tiernan would be the one.

I think we should all just be thankful for all the riches we have in backs this year (once all are back to health) that we can rotate regularly for the sake of keeping our squad fresh and not seeing a massive drop off in quality in previous years. The days of 'targetting' games with our best team are dead.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11382

RogueXV wrote: One of the things that impresses me about Fetu'u is that he goes looking for work. Often enough you hear how a wing went unused during a game, well sometimes a good wing can rectify that situation by getting himself to the ball rather than waiting for it to come to them. That's one of the differences I see between Fetu'u and TOH. I don't necessarily see arrogance from TOH maybe more complacency since no one is pushing him for his spot ATM. So a viable option and the threat of a benching could do him some good.

My opinion on the looking for work thing is it is an Irish problem in general. We like to put our wingers on the wing and they stay there unless you call a set move where they are suppose to be outside of their wing.

Earls and Bowe would be the only Irish wingers I can think of that do what your asking for Rogue. Bowe only realised there was more to the wing position when he joined the Ospreys and with Earls he has is a winger with the mind of a fullback.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11383

RogueXV wrote: One of the things that impresses me about Fetu'u is that he goes looking for work. Often enough you hear how a wing went unused during a game, well sometimes a good wing can rectify that situation by getting himself to the ball rather than waiting for it to come to them. That's one of the differences I see between Fetu'u and TOH. I don't necessarily see arrogance from TOH maybe more complacency since no one is pushing him for his spot ATM. So a viable option and the threat of a benching could do him some good.

Im a critic of fetu in terms of his difficulties with the ball in the air and also some of the defensive decisions he makes but i fundementally agree with rogue about his attitude and that of TOH. Imo TOH has twice the ability that fetu has but lacks in the crucial area of attitude and work rate/application which is something that fetu has in abundance. In footballing terms TOH is streets ahead but we havent seen that in the game so far.

I would however remind everyone of game 1 of this season for fetu and games 1-3 for the entire backline before we get too carried away. Im both surprised and relieved that he hasnt been targetted more in the air but thats the way it has worked out.

In relation to Poolman Eric is 3 from 3 in terms of the new signings for this season. I havent seen enough of harris wright to give an informed opinion yet. Poolman comes with a decent rep so one of either TOH or Fetu will lose out if he live up to his rep. Imo it will be Toh in the short term but fetu ultimately when Toh starts to apply himself in a fetu like manner.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Borders no.2

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
11 years 10 months ago #11396

More
11 years 10 months ago #11412

phatguerilla wrote: www.connachtrugby.ie/2012102283059/vaini...d-up-to-tongan-squad

Looks like the lad will be away for a while.

Itinerary

Nov 10 Italy v Tonga Brescia
Nov 13 Newcastle v Tonga Kingston Park
Nov 17 United States v Tonga Colwyn Bay, Wales
Nov 24 Scotland v Tonga Aberdeen

we only miss him for the dragons vs connacht game. thats not bad but pity he wont have a well needed break

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #11422

Nov 10 Italy v Tonga Brescia
Nov 13 Newcastle v Tonga Kingston Park
Nov 17 United States v Tonga Colwyn Bay, Wales
Nov 24 Scotland v Tonga Aberdeen

That's one hell of a schedule! I can see the whole Tongan team been used and Fets getting at least one cap. Hopefully Pollman kicks on and is an able deputy.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
11 years 10 months ago #11732

Fetu'u starting against Italy

planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9817_8233574,00.html

Tonga: 15 Vungakoto Lilo, 14 Fetu'u Vainikolo, 13 Sukanaivalu Hufanga, 12 Sione Piukala, 11 Viliami Helu, 10 Fangatapu 'Apikotoa, 9 Taniela Moa (capt), 8 Viliami Ma'afu, 7 Sione Vaiomo'unga, 6 Sitiveni Mafi, 5 Tukulua Lokotui, 4 Joe Tu'ineau, 3 Halani 'Aulika, 2 Elvis Taione, 1 Alisona Taumalolo.
Replacements: 16 Ilaisa Ma'asi, 17 Tevita Mailau, 18 Hale T-Pole, 19 Paula Kaho, 20 Samisoni Fisilau, 21 Alipate Fatafehi, 22 Viliame Iongi, 23 Soane Tonga'uiha.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sea_point, Porterbelly

logo