Search Our Site

Topic-icon Saracens V Connacht 18th January 13.35

• swift4prez
  • swift4prez's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #23898

Might aswel start one, could be Connacht's biggest win if we win and results go our way.

We beat Saracens = Amlin QF

We beat Saracens and results go our way = Heineken cup QF

we're currently 11th, only 8 go through.
if we beat saracens we go from 13 points to 17 which is max spot we can get. (even 5points wont move us to 7th spot).
Here is where we need luck. basically we need to win, Cardif (vs Exeter) and Northampton (vs Castre) to lose. If we get 4 points we cant let edinburgh get 5 points. doubt that will happen they play Munster in limerick.

7th Leicester 20 points 15 trys
8th Saracens 15 points 18 trys
9th Northampton 13 points 10 trys
10th Cardiff 13 points 9 trys
11th Connacht 13 points 7 trys

if im wrong sorry

edit, had it right first time. rrr

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by swift4prez.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GTTC, ConnachtCows, Moss973, connachtexile, micktreacy, mahick, phatguerilla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• connachtcl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #23905

swift4prez wrote: Might aswel start one, could be Connacht's biggest win if we win and results go our way.

if we beat saracens we go from 13 points to 17 which is max spot we can get. (even 5points wont move us to 7th spot).
Here is where we need luck. basically we need to win, Cardif (vs Exeter) and Northampton (vs Castre) to lose. If we get 4 points we cant let edinburgh get 5 points. doubt that will happen they play Munster in limerick.

if im wrong sorry

We need Quins to not get a BP win against Scarlets as well I think?

We should be pretty safe if we get 4 tries and beat Sarries though. Should be easy enough right? :whistle:

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by connachtcl.

• galway_gas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #23906

swift4prez wrote: Might aswel start one, could be Connacht's biggest win if we win and results go our way.

if im wrong sorry

if 2 teams are even on points is it tries scored or points difference that counts?

• swift4prez
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #23907

galway_gas wrote:

if im wrong sorry

if 2 teams are even on points is it tries scored or points difference that counts?

by looks of it, points first, then trys, then points difference. if its 2 teams from same group, its points then head-to-head, which is why Toulouse was ahead of saracens before todays game. (toulouse won in london).

as connachtcl said, yes quins could sneak up, quins 12 points, 9 trys

The following user(s) said Thank You: galway_gas

• swift4prez
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #23908

Team - pointstry - points difference
1 Ulster - 2216 - (+)114
2 Toulon - 2020 - (+)59
3 Toulouse - 1915 - (+)70
4 Clermont 1913 - (+)45
5 Munster 1813 - (+)52
6 Leinster - 1711 - (+)53
7 Leicester - 2015 - (+)50
8 Saracens 1518 - (+)85
9 Nrthampton - 1310 - (-)7
10 Cardiff - 139 - (-)23
11 Edinburgh 1210 - (-)5
12 Harlequins 129 - (+)21
13 Connacht 137 - (+)12
14 Glasgow 1011 - (-)25
15 Scarlets 108 - (-)26
16 Gloucester 98 - (-)19
17 Castre 95 (-)16

i forgot that Connacht cant climb any higher then 13, because teams 1st and 2nd have to be higher then any team in 3rd, no matter which points. Another example, leicester have 20 points in 7th spot and leinster have 17 points in 6th spot.

**hopefully ive got this right

More
10 years 8 months ago #23909

while it's great craic doing up all the permutations and all that, let's be realistic. It's a mammothh task ahead of us to get anything at Sarries. We don't have a good record travelling to England and I expect it to stay poor.

@The_Culk

• swift4prez
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #23910

theCulk wrote: while it's great craic doing up all the permutations and all that, let's be realistic. It's a mammothh task ahead of us to get anything at Sarries. We don't have a good record travelling to England and I expect it to stay poor.

Not many teams have great record going to toulouse but we all know what happened. Connacht have never been closer to getting into a quarter final off the Heineken cup, if we can't dream this week we never will.
Best thing about this forum is its usually positive, other forums like boards can be dire to read, even today I read "a fan" say that an ail team would beat us.

I don't care what anyone says, I'll be in London, looks like at least 300 will be in section 23 and section 26 so should be good weekend anyways.

The following user(s) said Thank You: GTTC, overstrander, Sol_ie, pinky

More
10 years 8 months ago #23911

swift4prez wrote:

theCulk wrote: while it's great craic doing up all the permutations and all that, let's be realistic. It's a mammothh task ahead of us to get anything at Sarries. We don't have a good record travelling to England and I expect it to stay poor.

Not many teams have great record going to toulouse but we all know what happened. Connacht have never been closer to getting into a quarter final off the Heineken cup, if we can't dream this week we never will.
Best thing about this forum is its usually positive, other forums like boards can be dire to read, even today I read "a fan" say that an ail team would beat us.

I don't care what anyone says, I'll be in London, looks like at least 300 will be in section 23 and section 26 so should be good weekend anyways.

Well said Swifty. Hope you have a fantastic weekend.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23912

If ranking remains unresolved and/or if clubs have not played each other previously in the pool stage, ranking will be determined as follows:

(i) the number of tries scored in the pool stage; or

(ii) if equal, the best aggregate points difference from the pool stage; or

(iii) if equal, the club with the fewest number of players suspended for incidents in the pool stage; or

(iv) if equal, by drawing lots.

It's a pity it's not points difference as we are better than most of the teams we would potentially be tied with, but we're worst of the five on tries scored.

Ospreys losing at home to Northampton probably put paid to our chances of qualifying in the HC. If Saints had lost we would have had a good chance of going through with "only" a win in Allianz Park.
As it stands if Northampton get a win against presumably a second string Castres team, we need a try bonus. If they get a try bonus, then we need 7 tries or something daft.

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by pinky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: galway_gas

More
10 years 8 months ago #23915

The permutations are well and good, but at this stage we should be looking at what we can do on Saturday. It's going to be a big job for the lads.

Carty to start? Leader to remain at FB (thought he had an allright game on Saturday) or Gav to come in? Will Ronaldson be fit, or do we leave Dan on the bench?

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #23916

It's astonishing really that we're even discussing the possibility of getting into the quarter-finals of this competition. Did any of us genuinely think we'd be in with a shout going into the final weekend? Our desperate league form, while worrying, shouldn't detract from what has been an excellent European campaign, regardless of what happens in London. I really, really hope we're in it, whatever format the cup takes, next year.

“I wanna f#*kin' win, I wanna f#*kin' win..............BADLY”
The following user(s) said Thank You: sparking

More
10 years 8 months ago #23919

It's a pity we didn't get the bonus point on Saturday - we really should have. But that's water under the bridge.

We all know the odds of qualifying are against us, bus as swifty said, there's no harm dreaming.

With that in mind, I'm thinking the artificial pitch Sarries have could work in our favour? They do have one of those right?

That aside, it's a cliche for a reason I guess - the lads need to focus on their game plan and putting in a good performance, and then see how they're fixed with 10 or 15 minutes to go. But the priority for them should be winning the game, because Amlin qualification is not to be sniffed at. Having said that, if we're beading Sarries 21 nil with three converted tried, and we get a penalty, it's to the corner.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23922

Sport is all about getting ahead of yourselves. Dreaming about what could be makes it great.
I have it all pictured in my head.
Leicester beat Ulster in round 6. We get the bonus point win. Northampton get 4 points. Cardiff only get 1.
Seeds end up as
1. Leicester
2. Toulouse
3. Toulon
4. Clermont
5. Munster
6. Leinster
7. Ulster
8. Connacht

Out of all the 1/4 finals, we have the easiest one. We all travel in April to see Connacht tame the Tigers, with Kieran Marmion getting another MOTM trophy, and Jack Carty flawless with the boot.
Semi finals, and we've gotten a home draw against the winners of Toulouse and Ulster.

Semi final fixtures:
Connacht vs Toulouse in Thomand Park
Leinster vs Clermont in the Aviva

Final

Clermont vs Connacht in Cardiff. The whole country travels to cheer on the boys in Green to a shock Heineken Cup victory. A hattrick from Robbie Henshaw, and a lineout winning, maul driving try from Craig Clarke brings the underdogs back into the game at 24-25 with minutes to go. Darragh Leader kicks the winning penalty from the half way line, with the 80 minutes up.

The stadium erupts. I burst into tears. Connacht are now Heineken Cup Champions. Forummers call for Pat Lam to be fired

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by ConnachtCows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sea_point, GTTC, pollypigwash, RonanL, Robbo, Moss973, menacethedenis, theCulk, _nobody_, Shelflife, sparking, Droptheclaw, Megatron, phatguerilla, pinky

More
10 years 8 months ago #23923

Exactly, it is sport. Are the odds against us. Yes, but bloody crazy stuff happen in sport!

www.skysports.com/interactive/top_tens_s...5886_5713826,00.html

observer.theguardian.com/osm/story/0,,678170,00.html

More
10 years 8 months ago #23924

ConnachtCows wrote: Sport is all about getting ahead of yourselves. Dreaming about what could be makes it great.
I have it all pictured in my head.
Leicester beat Ulster in round 6. We get the bonus point win. Northampton get 4 points. Cardiff only get 1.
Seeds end up as
1. Leicester
2. Toulouse
3. Toulon
4. Clermont
5. Munster
6. Leinster
7. Ulster
8. Connacht

Out of all the 1/4 finals, we have the easiest one. We all travel in April to see Connacht tame the Tigers, with Kieran Marmion getting another MOTM trophy, and Jack Carty flawless with the boot.
Semi finals, and we've gotten a home draw against the winners of Toulouse and Ulster.

Semi final fixtures:
Connacht vs Toulouse in Thomand Park
Leinster vs Clermont in the Aviva

Final

Clermont vs Connacht in Cardiff. The whole country travels to cheer on the boys in Green to a shock Heineken Cup victory. A hattrick from Robbie Henshaw, and a lineout winning, maul driving try from Craig Clarke brings the underdogs back into the game at 24-25 with minutes to go. Darragh Leader kicks the winning penalty from the half way line, with the 80 minutes up.

The stadium erupts. I burst into tears. Connacht are now Heineken Cup Champions. Forummers call for Pat Lam to be fired

Has the same feel to Greece winning the Euros!!!

More
10 years 8 months ago #23925

ConnachtCows wrote: Forummers call for Pat Lam to be fired

Ya fecker. Had me in stitches in work.

logo