Topic-icon Connacht Vs Zebre Jan 11 15.40

• galway_gas
  • galway_gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #23683

Squad Update ahead of Zebre game

07th January 2014

The Connacht squad were back training yesterday as preparations switched to the Heineken Cup. Connacht face Zebre in round 5 of the pool stages this Saturday 11th January (kick off 15:40) at the Sportsground while the Connacht Eagles will travel to England to take on the Rotherham Titans in the British & Irish Cup.

There were no major injury concerns following Saturday’s disappointing 8 – 16 defeat to Leinster. Craig Clarke took a bang to the neck during the first half at the Sportsground and will continue to be monitored in training this week. The 30-year-old New Zealander was absent from the session on Monday following the birth of his first child at the weekend – a baby girl.

There was more good news for Pat Lam’s squad with the return to training of outhalf Craig Ronaldson and flanker Jake Heenan. The youthful duo missed out on the back-to-back festive derby period due to injury but the coaching staff are optimistic that both will be involved in games this weekend.

Meanwhile, backs Gavin Duffy and Frank Murphy also returned to training and are available for selection this week.
Prop Ronan Loughney, on his return from injury last week, earned game time on Saturday starting for local AIL side Corinthians RFC and contributing to their 10 – 3 win over Malone RFC.

Outhalf Miah Nikora, who has been working hard in rehab since the pre-season, has returned to training and is on track to be playing rugby in four weeks’ time.

Connacht have won all three of their meetings with Zebre in the European competition, including a 33-6 win away from home in Round 2. A win this week would keep the Irish province alive in Europe, with a game to play against Saracens for qualification from pool 3.

Tickets for Connacht v Zebre this weekend can be purchased online from tickets.ie, from the Connacht Rugby ticket office at the Sportsground or from Centra and SuperValu stores province-wide.

Adult tickets start at €30 while it’s €10 for all Juniors.

Connacht v Zebre
At the Sportsground, 3:40pm
On Sky Sports Red Button
Referee: Neil Paterson (Sco)
Assistant Ref: David Changleng (Sco)
Assistant Ref: Graeme Marshall (Sco)
TMO: Iain Ramage (Sco)
Citing Commissioner: Yann Le Dore (Fra)

The Connacht Eagles will return to British & Irish Cup action on Saturday afternoon away to pool leaders Rotherham Titans at Clifton Lane (KO: 2pm). The Eagles overcame the Titans 27 – 25 at the Sportsground in October, with a last minute, long-range penalty kick from Darragh Leader. The Eagles’ squad is set to include a mix of Senior and Academy players and the team will be announced on Friday.

Good to hear some good news on injury front. I thought Miah was out for full season. Sounds like Heenan will be in Senior Squad and Ronaldson will be with Eagles this weekend.

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by galway_gas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23692

So same outhalf set up as last weekend? Hopefully this is just a test run for Ronaldson.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23695

Sol_ie wrote: So same outhalf set up as last weekend? Hopefully this is just a test run for Ronaldson.

At home against Saracens it was Ronaldson that came on in the 2nd half and made an instant impact, if he gets through the Eagles game it would not surprise me if Lam picks him ahead of Carty and Parks

More
10 years 8 months ago #23696

clanman wrote:

Sol_ie wrote: So same outhalf set up as last weekend? Hopefully this is just a test run for Ronaldson.

At home against Saracens it was Ronaldson that came on in the 2nd half and made an instant impact, if he gets through the Eagles game it would not surprise me if Lam picks him ahead of Carty and Parks

Or carty 10, ronaldson 12, griffin 13, robbie 15?
Griffin is wasted at 12

More
10 years 8 months ago #23697

I'm surprised he's not starting (or off the bench) for the Zebres game, is all. I assume that the start for the Eagles is just to get him settled in before the away sarries game.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
10 years 8 months ago #23699

wp_rathead wrote:

clanman wrote:

Or carty 10, ronaldson 12, griffin 13, robbie 15?
Griffin is wasted at 12

After a hammer injury I'd be hugely surprised if Craig starts in either game this weekend. But I would expect Parks/Ronaldson to start against Saracens. Carty a perfectly competent defensively but slight flyhalf would be targeted massively against Sarries, they would be sending their heavy artillery trucking down his channel from minute one at every opportunity. Ronaldson is 10KG heavier (may actually be carrying a litte too much timber if anything), if he's fit I would hope to see him start in Alllainz Park. Park shas to be gambled on for the squad in that sort of game because of his experience...

• OldSchool
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #23707

Carty is still a better option than Parks in Defence, as seen in the last few games Parks kicking game has been poor, 9 and 10 have to put the defence on the back foot.

When a connacht player breaks the defence line there is nobody on his shoulder looking for the off load, it is something that you see with the Super 15 teams and with the AB and Boks

Heenan, Griffin, Henshaws, Marmion have all been breaking the defence line but with out support

We got it right in Toulouse and got a Try

This has to be down to coaching and conditioning

Hopefully he will stick with Leader and Carty for Zebra

More
10 years 8 months ago #23713

If Ronaldson is to be considered for a start against Saracens then it makes more sense for him to start the Eagles game rather than come off the bench against Zebre IMO. He needs the game time. If Heenan is 100% recovered I'd start him, anything less and he'd be better as an impact sub.

wp_rathead, I like the look of your centre fullback lineup. Robbie's edges might be slowly softening at outside centre, but it's still a bit of a square peg round hole situation with both him and Griffin. Think he's better at fullback ATM.

Good to hear Nikora slowly making his way back. Imagine he'll be fighting for a spot in next season's squad over the next 3-4 months. Hopefully we'll see the best of him when he does get on.

Connacht have to take this game by the scruff of the neck early on. Zebre will be riding high after their win against Treviso and looking for their first HEC win. Connacht need a convincing win, probably a 5 pointer to keep their interest in Europe going for the Saracens game and help jump start the second half of their league campaign.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #23723

Carty a perfectly competent defensively but slight flyhalf would be targeted massively against Sarries, they would be sending their heavy artillery trucking down his channel from minute one at every opportunity.

True but Leinster tried to do that to him last wknd and got nowhere. With the Sarries pack I'd rather gamble and go for Carty/Ronaldson then a fly-half who kicks for corners and whose first option is always to kick rather than to pass. Have Parks on the bench but I'd start Carty or Ronaldson if fit.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
10 years 8 months ago #23728

Even if Parks suddenly comes good in the next couple of weeks he doesn't offer a running threat and Saracens won't be caught out by a kicking game for a second time. Add to that Poolman was the main threat from cross field kicks and it just doesn't make sense to play Parks, at least Carty and Ronaldson offer an element of the unknown plus a running ability that will prevent the Saracens defense being able to fan across the field as easily.

Connacht/Clarke should have believed they were capable of kicking the line and trying a rolling maul against Leinster when he asked Leader to kick for goal a second time. Assuming this is the case perhaps this is a tactic that Connacht are holding in reserve to break out in the Heineken? We know of course they used it to great effect against Zebre last time they played and have tried it at least once or twice in almost every other game, including against Munster when the weather was arguably unsuited to the tactic.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23732

phatguerilla wrote: Even if Parks suddenly comes good in the next couple of weeks he doesn't offer a running threat and Saracens won't be caught out by a kicking game for a second time. Add to that Poolman was the main threat from cross field kicks and it just doesn't make sense to play Parks, at least Carty and Ronaldson offer an element of the unknown plus a running ability that will prevent the Saracens defense being able to fan across the field as easily.

Connacht/Clarke should have believed they were capable of kicking the line and trying a rolling maul against Leinster when he asked Leader to kick for goal a second time. Assuming this is the case perhaps this is a tactic that Connacht are holding in reserve to break out in the Heineken? We know of course they used it to great effect against Zebre last time they played and have tried it at least once or twice in almost every other game, including against Munster when the weather was arguably unsuited to the tactic.

you make a valid point that we need to play differently this time and do the opposite of what they expect, Toulouse showed that they had learnt from playing us in the first game and when we tried to do the same against them in the second game they didn't let us do it again. just to be clear i'm talking about the saracens game not zebre.

on this saturdays game the weather looks perfect for running rugby, i think it will suit us

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by clanman.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23736

Connacht v Zebre – Galway Sportsground Heineken Cup Pool 3 Round 5
Saturday 11th January 2014 Kick Off: 15:40

For the 7th time in the last two seasons Connacht face up to Italian side Zebre on Saturday. After a depressing opening season in which they won no game from 28 attempts, Zebre have managed a couple of notable victories this season which has seen them rise above Connacht in the Rabo Direct Pro 12 table. Connacht have had the upper hand on the Zebre in their head to head fixtures to date and while they are unlikely to have it all their own way a comfortable 33-6 victory in Parma in Round 2 would suggest that Connacht should have the wherewithal to pick up the win to keep their hopes of securing further European action later in the season alive.

Zebre Stats
Founded: 1973 (Formed as Professional Team in 2012)
History: 1973 – 1997 Invitational Selection for North West Italy.
Ground: Stadio XXV Aprile, Parma
Capacity: 3,500
Captain: Marco Bortolami
Director of Rugby: Roberto Manghi

Rabo Direct Pro 12 League Position 2013/14: P:12 Position:11th Points 14
Rabo Direct Pro 12 League Position 2012/13: 12th Points 10
Heineken Cup: 4th in Pool 6 Points 1

Recent Results
Zebre 14-12 Benetton Treviso
Benetton Treviso 20-15 Zebre
Ulster 13-6 Zebre

Next League Fixture:
Sunday 9th February 2014 17:30 (local time) Zebre v Leinster @ Stadio XXV Aprile, Parma

Heineken Cup (Pool 3)
Toulouse 15
Saracens 15
Connacht 9
Zebre 0

Previous Meetings

Saturday 19th October 2013 Heineken Cup Zebre 6-33 Connacht

www.connachtrugby.ie/zebre-6-33-connacht/

Saturday 7th September 2013 Rabo Direct Pro 12 Connacht 25-16 Zebre

www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/12745.php

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Borders no.2.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23772

Fecking Gloucester!

I'm going to the Gloucester vs Munster game on Sat (In my Connacht Jersey of course before anyone asks). I just emailed them to see if they'll show the Connacht match beforehand but they're showing the fecking Toulon vs Cardiff one instead.

Think I might be camped out in the Shed with the tablet & skygo

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

More
10 years 8 months ago #23774

ConnachtBOB wrote: Fecking Gloucester!

I'm going to the Gloucester vs Munster game on Sat (In my Connacht Jersey of course before anyone asks). I just emailed them to see if they'll show the Connacht match beforehand but they're showing the fecking Toulon vs Cardiff one instead.

Kind of surprised by that, seeing as another Irish team are playing.
Anyone I know going to the Saracens game with you?

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by ConnachtCows.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23778

ConnachtCows wrote:

Kind of surprised by that, seeing as another Irish team are playing.
Anyone I know going to the Saracens game with you?

That's the case I made to them alright but no change. I'll Some pub will be showing it. Even if they only have picture I can put the commentary on GalwayBayFM on the phone.

Herself & Dan are coming. Probably Nolan. Party Harty said that he probably would with a few others but he hasn't bought any tickets yet. He'll be able to get them outside anyway but he should try to be in with the rest of us

More
10 years 8 months ago #23779

Is that in the ground itself they are showing Toulon v Cardiff?
Teague's or the Kingsholm Inn will surely stick it on for you.

logo