Search Our Site

Topic-icon Munster v Connacht Friday 27th December 19.15

• Borders no.2
  • Borders no.2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #23364

Losing bonus point to paper over the cracks. Fair play to the lads for keeping going until the end at least. Really though that was a very average Munster side. Not many of that pack would be near a Munster 23 for any type of serious game.

I really hope that's the last we've seen of Frank Murphy in a Connacht jersey. He shouldn't have been near the team in the first place and had a huge part to play for Munster. Why Marmion or POD wasn't starting I can't understand. Parks should be consigned to a role on the bench at this stage. Kicked his goals well but apart from that was very poor. We have little to play for in the league. What's the worst that can happen with Carty (or when he returns Ronaldson) at out half, we lose a couple of games, it doesn't really matter, at least he'd be getting experience. Whatever we have to do to get a quality out half for next season we have to do it. I have huge time for Gavin Duffy but again lets bring something new to full back.

We showed when Marmion came on and kept the ball in hand that we can play some good stuff but it was too little too late at that stage. Indiscipline was prevalent again tonight on the Connacht side. At key junctures discipline let us down. I don't think the officials helped the game either though in fairness. Also, if we're going to play a kicking game it needs to be a lot smarter than we showed this evening or in most matches, far too many aimless kicks and not just from Parks.

Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Borders no.2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Devils own

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
10 years 8 months ago #23365

Thoughts from tonight...

Bonus point loss, is a two fingers to the IRFU. They want us to get nothing...ever..
IRFU have no interest in seeing Connacht win, ever and the appointments of IRFU ref's backs that up. But seeing as there are no Connacht Refs on the panel we are as much to blame, and as bad as Phillip's was tonight we then proceeded to gift a really Munster team the win.

Fionn Carr has had his Mojo surgically removed by his sojourn back with Leinster, for the love of god Pat tell the lad to back himself and tell the lads to back him backing himself. He's one of the best attacking backs in the country and he looks terrified to try anything...

Frank Murphy shouldn't have had a contract this season, end of. With one leg even Paul O'Donohue is miles better and especially in a battle like it was going to be tonight. He basically stripped the backline of any confidence for the first fifty minutes the few times he actuallyt managed to get the ball out. Marmion did more right in his first minute than Murphy did in fifty!

Nathan White should enjoy the bench for the next couple of weeks for that indiscipline tonight, the blokes supposed to be a leader and what he did tonight given the circumstances at the time was utter bulls**t...

Pat Lam - FYI in the Inter-pro's you pick our best 15 to start, we do not win Inter-pro's from a losing position, ever.....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Borders no.2, Devils own

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
10 years 8 months ago #23366

As far as positives go, last year we were nilled in this fixture and this time we got a lbp. Its not much but its still progress. At the same time that was a fairly average munster team with no real good individual performances on their part, maybe jj accepted. Cronin is a good prop but a bit of a dirty cunt, some people say you need a bit of that in a team but he seemed to take much too much pleasure in it.

Agree on Duffy, Murphy and Parks but the latter is being asked to play 80 minutes week in week out when its been clear since last year he's not got the capacity for it any more. Carty should be able to start against Zebre whether in the heine or rabo with Marmion taking pressure off him as decision maker if necessary.

I thought after the first 10 minutes that Connacht were going to really dominate in the scrum and then out of nowhere the decisions seemed to become more and more arbitrary, as was issues in the lineout. In the end the ref lost his bottle and lost control of a game that didn't have to be so scrappy but fell apart in the second half.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Devils own

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #23368

James Cronin is going to find himself with a nasty reputation he will find hard to shake if he continues with the crap he pulled tonight and last week. Someone ought to have a talk with the boy and tell him he's doing his career harm with this cheap shot rubbish.

As for Murphy agreed he's terrible. End of.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
10 years 8 months ago #23369

connachtexile wrote: James Cronin is going to find himself with a nasty reputation he will find hard to shake if he continues with the crap he pulled tonight and last week. Someone ought to have a talk with the boy and tell him he's doing his career harm with this cheap shot rubbish.

As for Murphy agreed he's terrible. End of.

Whats very worrying is the fact our knowledgeable coaching team relegated POD who wasn't doing bad to bring him in.

• whestisbest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #23371

Really disappointing stuff yet again against Munster. No fluidity, half backs were terrible, just awful. Carty has to be given a run at this stage. Parks is no longer up to playing 80mins week in week out. Is POD injured? If he's not then it really brings the coaches judgment into question in playing Murphy. He was very poor. Iv'e heard a lot of hype around James Cronin, but he needs to cut out the Dylan Hartleyesue sh1te. Thought he was owned by White when he was on. Our front row was much better imo.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23372

I have little to add on comments already, except I didn't think the ref was that bad, and don't agree that as an IRFU one he was biased. I also agree that we need to give the other 10s some game time.

I was surprised at how poor Henshaw was. He is a FB, he is not a 13, maybe he will become one, but he will cost Connacht a lot of points by then and he has not showed that he is learning.

On the play before the Munster try there was a 3 on 3, Murphy was Healey's man who lined him up to cut inside, all Henshaw had to do was hold the line marking the inside runner, but he was impetuous and took out Murphy who offloaded inside and the move led to the ruck and consequent try. Equally against Dragons he was a shooter and missed his tackle. Similarly against Australia he missed his man though it would be harsh to blame him solely as he was one of a few missed tackles. Tonight He also gave a soft penalty with an unnecessary high tackle. He reads a game better from FB, I don't ever see him as a 13, and he will lose confidence as a player if they persist.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Decadence, theCulk

More
10 years 8 months ago #23374

Very easy to point the blame at the officials, true it wasnt Dudlys best game but overall it prob balanced out.

Munster are very cute at ruck time. They constantly disrupt the opposition usually illegally but rarely get caught, it's a joy to behold when you want them to win but an absolute curse when you are playing them. It's street smarts like this that are missing from Connacht.

Sorry frank but you were dire tonight, and Dan wasn't far behind, there may. We'll be a wealth of experience being passed on behind the scenes but on the pitch it's not happening and at the end of the day that's what you are paid to do. Gavin sad to say but your star is on the wane as well.

Nikora won't be back until the end of jan, he's not my cup of tea but I wouldn't mind giving him a run in this new set up , otherwise we have to blood the youth.

I think that Dan has run his course, yes a big influence and a great help, but on the pitch it's as if his heart isn't in it. We need a decent 10.

I'm under the impression that marmion couldn't start tonight as he was in the Irish camp, the difference when he came on was huge .

Munster disrupt and annoy the opposition, but don't allow the opposition to do the same to them. Once they have the ball they go about there business, we allowed them to disrupt us and then let it upset us, we need to learn not to do this.

It's a lbp, but been honest there was a win there for the taking, it was a 2nd string squad and yes we are missing a few key players but we are lacking in line breakers.

A frustrating game to watch , yet again.

Courage is knowing what lies on the other side and still opening the door.

Connacht Clan– Sales and Sponsorship
Email: peterg@connachtclan.com

More
10 years 8 months ago #23376

I know I'm doing intervention in counter-current, but I really found Muldoon more than ok at openside, and I'm not worried anymore waiting Heenan comeback.. Young Kearney and Buckley were good too

More
10 years 8 months ago #23377

I have sympathy for anyone playing outside Frank Murphy last night. It's hard to criticise Parks when he's constantly being put under some much pressure from his own scrum-half. Having said that his cross field kick for the Munster try was crazy. He actually did something similar against the Dragons and got away with it. I still like the fact that I knew he'd get the conversion at the end for the bonus point. There have been so many unreliable Connacht kickers over the years, I'm reluctant to call for Parks to be dropped. I agree with many on here though, he needs to be used more sparingly.

On a positive note, the move to score the try at the end was excellent and that's two weeks running we finished strongly to claim points. It's not something that we has been good at in the past so it's good to see.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sea_point, connachtexile

More
10 years 8 months ago #23378

columoc wrote: I have little to add on comments already, except I didn't think the ref was that bad, and don't agree that as an IRFU one he was biased. I also agree that we need to give the other 10s some game time.

I was surprised at how poor Henshaw was. He is a FB, he is not a 13, maybe he will become one, but he will cost Connacht a lot of points by then and he has not showed that he is learning.

On the play before the Munster try there was a 3 on 3, Murphy was Healey's man who lined him up to cut inside, all Henshaw had to do was hold the line marking the inside runner, but he was impetuous and took out Murphy who offloaded inside and the move led to the ruck and consequent try. Equally against Dragons he was a shooter and missed his tackle. Similarly against Australia he missed his man though it would be harsh to blame him solely as he was one of a few missed tackles. Tonight He also gave a soft penalty with an unnecessary high tackle. He reads a game better from FB, I don't ever see him as a 13, and he will lose confidence as a player if they persist.

A big part of the issue is 13 is a far more difficult position to play. At full back a player has time to assess what's ahead of him but at 13 you don't get time. I don't many upcoming star players at 13 in the world and those who are are big battering rams rather than the player Henshaw has the potential to be. There are loads of wings and full backs because it's easier to play those positions, in my opinion.

The following user(s) said Thank You: columoc

More
10 years 8 months ago #23379

Couple thoughts on this:

Criticism of the coaching for resting Marmion is unjustified. This was the least important and least winnable of the sequence of Christmas/HEC games Dragons/Munster/Leinster/Zebre/Saracens' and he certainly needed a rest (his performance level against Dragons was good rather than excellent).
I don't think anyone could have foreseen Murphy being played off the park by Scissorhands Williams.

Deadly Dudley had one instance of gross incompetence )he non-existant knock-on when White was charging for line) and 2 instances where he chickened out of going upstairs to check for foul play for fear of having to red card a Munster player. The first of these (Cronin vs. Duffy) it looked from the ref's and main camera angle like a Munster player was stamping, but the replay showed this wasn't actually the case, while at the very end he didn't go to the video ref to check on Earls punches, which worked out in our favour as there was then no way ourtry could be chalked off.
So - Dudley was less than usually inept and rode us less than the likes of Rolland or Fitzgibbon. The penalty count was even.

The TMO was very kind when called upon, Cronin got binned for a sarcastic ruffle of the hair, and how Muldowney didn't get a yellow I don't know.

My thinking on this is that with Loughney fit and Swift due back, Murphy, White and Muldowney should be dropped from the 23 for the Leinster match to stamp down on indiscipline.

More
10 years 8 months ago #23380

Loughney wasn't excellent at all this season against Leinster for example

More
10 years 8 months ago #23381

I was down there last night and everyone was saying how bad Dudley was - both Connacht & Munster fans.

2 things really disappointed me though and not sure if they were picked up on TV. Firstly, the Munster fans booed the Connacht team off the pitch. Connacht applauded the Munster players at the tunnel entrance and the Munster fans joined in, however when Munster were applauding the Connacht players, the crowed started booing.

Secondly, during the 2nd half, the stadium announcer felt the need to come on the PA and "politely request that visiting fans respect the kicker with silence. It is a long standing tradition in Thomond Park and is world renowned". Which is fair enough - great tradition and matched in the Sportsground. I didn't really notice any disrespect last night but maybe there was somewhere else in the grounds. However for our conversion at the end to get the BP, large pockets of Munster fans jeered Parks

Not exactly what you'd expect from the so called best club rugby fans in the world

The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla, wp_rathead, whestisbest

More
10 years 8 months ago #23382

Might as well put my tuppence-ha'worth into the mix.. I'm no expert and bow to the real analysts among you- yer observations add to my learning, thanks.
Very disappointed with the lack of discipline last night- two yellows is not on. Leaving the team short for 20 minutes. Remember reading an interview with Paul O'Connell a few years back. Had his fair share of yellows and said he finally copped on that every time he was sent to the bench he was letting his team down... Parks- no way at his best but knew we were safe with his kick at the end. In form, he inspires and can dictate the game. As others have suggested, shorten his game and give gametime to others.. Marmion a gem, good to see Buckley back, Healy makes himself felt (good choice for Clan Sponsorship)..line-outs and scrums have exceeded my expectations.. Biggest frustration: Was in Toulouse :cheer: - that game wasn't an aberration, we're watching what is potentially a great team- just hasn't got consistency right, yet!
It's not easy being Green (but it suits my complexion)!!
That's my piece said :)

• Borders no.2
  • Borders no.2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #23383

salmson wrote: Couple thoughts on this:

Criticism of the coaching for resting Marmion is unjustified. This was the least important and least winnable of the sequence of Christmas/HEC games Dragons/Munster/Leinster/Zebre/Saracens' and he certainly needed a rest (his performance level against Dragons was good rather than excellent).
I don't think anyone could have foreseen Murphy being played off the park by Scissorhands Williams.

I'm sorry but whatever about anything else management have to take the hit for that one. Not for resting Marmion as there may have been some IRFU interference but for picking Murphy ahead of POD. Also, if Marmion was being rested leave him at home (like we should have done with Mike McCarthy last year also). What happened was no-use to player or team.

Whatever about Leinster at home to think we have a better chance away to Saracens than against a scratch Munster side is hard to fathom but I know what you mean about the relative importance of the games.

Murphy was always going to be miles off the pace. It was the one glaring wtf name on the teamsheet. In contrast Paul O'Donohue while not the best player in the squad has performed at a decent level with any opportunity he has got this season and crucially he is interested in playing. Why he has slipped behind Murphy in the pecking order is beyond me.

logo