Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht v Edinburgh Saturday 1st December 17.00

More
11 years 9 months ago #12331

fetu isnt available which is why we are having this discussion. if he was duffy would probably be on the bench.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12332

rossie wrote: fetu isnt available which is why we are having this discussion. if he was duffy would probably be on the bench.

He hasn't been ruled out, they just said he sat out training on Monday because he only got back on Sunday night.

Even if he was Poolman on one wing, TOH on the other and McSharry with Henshaw in the centers.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12386

Edinburgh Rugby head coach Michael Bradley has pitched five of the club's returning Scotland internationalists back in to the side for tomorrow's clash with Connacht at the Sportsground (kick-of 5pm).

The club carved out a well-earned win from RaboDirect PRO12 champions Ospreys last Friday and have selected a strong squad in a quest to secure a second successive win at a ground at which they've had no success since 2008.

Bradley, formerly director of rugby at the Galway club, said: "It was very important that we got a win last weekend, we badly needed to get a 'W' on the board. It's been great for our confidence as we've prepared for Saturday's game.
"Connacht target the arrival of the visiting Scottish sides because they feel they've an excellent chance of winning those games.

"We've talked about that a lot at training this week as something we have to change.

"In the past we might not have brought the Scotland players straight back in and maybe given them the weekend off after the Tests, but it's vital that we build on the momentum from the Ospreys match, and have picked a strong side with the aim of doing just that."

Coming back into the fold are captain Greig Laidlaw at stand-off; Matt Scott and Nick De Luca continue their club and country partnership in midfield, Tim Visser steps back on to the wing and David Denton packs down on the blind-side of the scrum.

Denton's return sees Sean Cox move back to his favoured position at lock to partner Perry Parker who impressed in his first start against Ospreys last week.

Hooker Andy Titterrell replaces the injured Ross Ford (shoulder) and Allan Jacobsen is offered the chance to impress from the outset at loose-head prop.

The remainder of the back-line is unchanged with Greig Tonks (full-back), Tom Brown (wing) and Richie Rees (scrum-half) all earning reselection.

Edinburgh Rugby team to play Connacht at the Sportsground (kick-off 5pm)
RaboDirect PRO12 round 10

15 Greig Tonks

14 Tom Brown
13 Nick De Luca
12 Matt Scott
11 Tim Visser

10 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN
9 Richie Rees

1 Allan Jacobsen
2 Andy Titterrell
3 Willem Nel
4 Perry Parker
5 Sean Cox
6 David Denton
7 Roddy Grant
8 Stuart McInally

Substitutes
16 Alun Walker
17 John Yapp
18 Lewis Niven
19 Robert McAlpine
20 Izak van der Westhuizen
21 Chris Leck
22 Gregor Hunter
23 Dougie Fife

Absent through injury: Ben Atiga (knee), Ben Cairns (knee), Dimitri Basilaia (knee), Jamie Farndale (leg), Ross Ford (shoulder), Piers Francis (leg), Lee Jones (groin), James King (leg), Steven Lawrie (knee), Ross Rennie (shoulder), Netani Talei (knee), Steven Turnbull (knee).

Players released to RBS Premiership clubs: Alex Black (Edinburgh Accies), Michael Penn (Heriot's), Sep Visser (Boroughmuir)

More
11 years 9 months ago #12389

Changes up front for Edinburgh clash

The Connacht team to face Edinburgh Rugby tomorrow afternoon in round 10 of the RaboDirect PRO12 has been named. Following on from last week’s encounter with the Dragons, Head Coach Eric Elwood has made three personnel changes up front.

Brett Wilkinson who, tomorrow, earns his 150th cap for the province will start at loose head prop while Ronan Loughney replaces Nathan White in the front row.

Andrew Browne, making way for Johnny O’Connor, moves from flanker to lock position and partners Mick Kearney in the second row.

There are no changes to the back line while, on the bench, there are a few new faces. Prop JP Cooney is named among the front row replacements. Garryowen’s Bateman Cup winning prop joined the club last summer and has made a notable impression for the Connacht Eagles in the British & Irish Cup.

Athlone-born Danny Qualter is also named on the bench. The 20-year-old is in his third year of the Connacht Academy and could earn his first competitive start at the Sportsground tomorrow afternoon.

Following a lengthy injury spell this season, scrum-half Paul O’Donohoe returns to the fray a week ahead of the Heineken Cup Round 3 game with Biarritz.

Connacht's last six RaboDirect PRO12 fixtures have all been won by the home side on the day and the men in green will be looking to repeat last year’s win over Michael Bradley’s side (26-13) to earn their third home win of the season.

Connacht XV

15. Robbie Henshaw
14. Tiernan O’Halloran
13. Danie Poolman
12. Dave McSharry
11. Gavin Duffy (captain)
10. Dan Parks
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
2. Jason Harris-Wright
3. Ronan Loughney
4. Mick Kearney
5. Andrew Browne
6. Johnny O’Connor
7. Willie Faloon
8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements (from):

16. Adrian Flavin
17. Denis Buckley
18. JP Cooney
19. Danny Qualter
20. Dave Gannon
21. Paul O’Donohoe
22. Miah Nikora
23. Fetu’u Vainikolo

Unavailable through injury: Rodney Ah You, Thomas Anderson, Finlay Bealham, Mata Fifita, Eoghan Grace, Eoin Griffin, Shane Layden, Darragh Leader, Mike McCarthy, John Muldoon, Frank Murphy, George Naoupu, Dave Nolan, Ethienne Reynecke, Michael Swift, Kyle Tonetti, Nathan White

Kick off at the Sportsground; 5pm.
Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 14th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Leo Colgan, Eddie Hogan-O'Connell (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Eugene Ryan (IRFU)

More
11 years 9 months ago #12390

Changes up front for Edinburgh clash

The Connacht team to face Edinburgh Rugby tomorrow afternoon in round 10 of the RaboDirect PRO12 has been named. Following on from last week’s encounter with the Dragons, Head Coach Eric Elwood has made three personnel changes up front.

Brett Wilkinson who, tomorrow, earns his 150th cap for the province will start at loose head prop while Ronan Loughney replaces Nathan White in the front row.

Andrew Browne, making way for Johnny O’Connor, moves from flanker to lock position and partners Mick Kearney in the second row.

There are no changes to the back line while, on the bench, there are a few new faces. Prop JP Cooney is named among the front row replacements. Garryowen’s Bateman Cup winning prop joined the club last summer and has made a notable impression for the Connacht Eagles in the British & Irish Cup.

Athlone-born Danny Qualter is also named on the bench. The 20-year-old is in his third year of the Connacht Academy and could earn his first competitive start at the Sportsground tomorrow afternoon.

Following a lengthy injury spell this season, scrum-half Paul O’Donohoe returns to the fray a week ahead of the Heineken Cup Round 3 game with Biarritz.

Connacht's last six RaboDirect PRO12 fixtures have all been won by the home side on the day and the men in green will be looking to repeat last year’s win over Michael Bradley’s side (26-13) to earn their third home win of the season.

Connacht XV

15. Robbie Henshaw
14. Tiernan O’Halloran
13. Danie Poolman
12. Dave McSharry
11. Gavin Duffy (captain)
10. Dan Parks
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Brett Wilkinson
2. Jason Harris-Wright
3. Ronan Loughney
4. Mick Kearney
5. Andrew Browne
6. Johnny O’Connor
7. Willie Faloon
8. Eoin McKeon

Replacements (from):

16. Adrian Flavin
17. Denis Buckley
18. JP Cooney
19. Danny Qualter
20. Dave Gannon
21. Paul O’Donohoe
22. Miah Nikora
23. Fetu’u Vainikolo

Unavailable through injury: Rodney Ah You, Thomas Anderson, Finlay Bealham, Mata Fifita, Eoghan Grace, Eoin Griffin, Shane Layden, Darragh Leader, Mike McCarthy, John Muldoon, Frank Murphy, George Naoupu, Dave Nolan, Ethienne Reynecke, Michael Swift, Kyle Tonetti, Nathan White

Kick off at the Sportsground; 5pm.
Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 14th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Leo Colgan, Eddie Hogan-O'Connell (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Eugene Ryan (IRFU)

how can qualtar earn his first start if he's starting on the bench. i know its friday so who in the branch has been hitting the bottle early

The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla

More
11 years 9 months ago #12391

Missing 5 nailed-on starters from the pack - White, Macca, Swifty, Mul, George. Ouch.

• mary hinge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #12392

That is a seriously under-powered pack. We'll need huge games from JOC and Willie Faloon particularly.

• phatguerilla
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • phatguerilla.wordpress.com
More
11 years 9 months ago #12393

A lot of positional changes in that team, caused by a lot of injuries obviously. :(

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 9 months ago #12394

A few changes yes but hopefully the lads can do the business. Edinburghs International contingent could be knackered after the Autumn series. I just can't bear to think about a smug, post-victory Bradley...

“I wanna f#*kin' win, I wanna f#*kin' win..............BADLY”

More
11 years 9 months ago #12395

Its great to have these guys to come in......in previous season we wouldnt have being able to deal with such changes being made however , its a sign of where we are moving as a club. We have depth and dont have to be ruahing our star players back wgen not 100%. So I guess its how you look at it. You can bet your like Wilko loughs Kearney and Browne will leave no stone unturned in holding there hands up for selection the following week!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla

More
11 years 9 months ago #12396

sligsup wrote: Its great to have these guys to come in......

I'm considerably less confident than you, but fair point. There's no way we could have lost 5 starting forwards any other year and put out an eight with more than 600 caps.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12397

I would say that this is as weak a pack we have fielded in a long time. Shows you how much we really on Macca, Swifty, Mul & George. Hopefully the lads raise playing raise their game. I'm very surprised Wilko is starting. He wasn't good enough in the Eagles game to warrant a recall IMO.

I'd make a few changes in the backs too. Poolman on the wing, Gav at FB and Robbie into the centre. Mainly because Gav isn't a winger IMO.

Edinburgh have been pony all season so hopefully we get a win. Any win will do for me

@The_Culk

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #12398

I didn't think we'ed be going into this games as underdogs, but that's what it looks like.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 9 months ago #12399

17 on the injured list, that is bloody terrible. That's half the Squad.

I presume that some are being rested with the H Cup games in close proximity..

• seanin4711
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #12411

not optimistic on this one!
and here is why:

1 average(being kind)ref and non existent touch judges
2 under strength pack for us
3 Gunners are at full strength more or less.

If I was a betting man!

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
11 years 9 months ago #12416

I finally got the preview up. :unsure:

Late I know but I've been off my feet busy at work this week.

http://www.connachtclan.com/news/204-connacht-vs-edinburgh-011212

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Diom.

logo