Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Harlequins Oct. 20th @ The Sportsground

More
11 years 10 months ago #11219

Edward Eagle wrote: was happy enough with our performance last night, was it just me or was the ref v lenient in policing quins going offside?

I thought the same purely because they seemed to be up and flat so quickly .In fairness i kept an eye out and didn't see anything conclusive .You could argue that they were simply well organised .

As for our 5-1 defensive split for the 1st try .Correct me if i'm wrong but do they not dictate our defensive lineout.We can hardly go 4-2 if they are 5-1 ?!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #11220

Disappointing result after our fantastic start but the best team won. Harlequins are an awesome side. If we had just gotten to half-time with the 19-9 lead who knows what might have happened but 'quins showed what happens when you switch off for even a few seconds at this level against a team of that quality. Garces had a terrible game. They spent most of the match offside and the breakdown was a catastrophe. No consistency whatsoever in his calls. He was booed off the pitch by the Clan Terrace, I don't condone abusing refs after the final whistle but I can understand it on this occasion. I don't blame him for the defeat though, it was disappointing that we didn't really contest the lineouts or the restarts, maybe 'quins were just too good in this department. Was really impressed by our backs again, was Kidney at the game? Some of our lads should be given a run out against Fiji next month.

“I wanna f#*kin' win, I wanna f#*kin' win..............BADLY”

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #11222

That's funny, I was just looking at the quins fans forum and they had plenty of moans about the ref missing Connacht offside and going in from the side frequently.

Just goes to show, when you watch a ref, you only ever notice the other team infringing.

Justice 4 Faruk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shelflife

More
11 years 10 months ago #11224

menacethedenis wrote: Garces had a terrible game.

I'll hold fire until I watch the match on TV, but he got the call wrong for the scrum that led to the first try - Quins knocked that on, should have been our put-in.

menacethedenis wrote: it was disappointing that we didn't really contest the lineouts or the restarts

They had a brand new outhalf kicking off the other foot to the regular one. Zero video analysis possible. And Botica mixed up his kickoffs brilliantly.

menacethedenis wrote: was Kidney at the game?

We got a close up of Yoda on the big screen, so yes, he was.

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by salmson.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #11226

Kidney has been to the Sportsground a reasonable number of times now. You'd hope it's not just for show and some players have a chance of some recognition.

Justice 4 Faruk

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #11227

ummm, wrote: That's funny, I was just looking at the quins fans forum and they had plenty of moans about the ref missing Connacht offside and going in from the side frequently.

Just goes to show, when you watch a ref, you only ever notice the other team infringing.

This is true I suppose. One department I've always felt we were lacking is in playing the ref. Not just in this game but in general. 'quins took maximum advantage of his 'lenient' offside interpretation. I might be wrong but it didn't look like we did.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #11229

Couple of knock on's apart (which should have been picked up by his assistants) Garces was alright, certainly a country mile better than the sh*fting we got at Ravers from Clancy...

• menacethedenis
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #11230

sea_point wrote: Couple of knock on's apart (which should have been picked up by his assistants) Garces was alright, certainly a country mile better than the sh*fting we got at Ravers from Clancy...

Actually did anyone read the article in the program about Fitzgibbon supervising refereeing in Connacht now? Astonishing.....

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #11232

That's not so bad, maybe he'll learn a thing or two :D

Justice 4 Faruk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shelflife

More
11 years 10 months ago #11245

Just heard a piece on Galway Bay FM about the Quins players getting in a bit of trouble at the Carlton hotel on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Nothing serious, just noise, and it was all sorted yesterday between the hotel management and the team management. Perhaps it shows how much they wanted to beat us, that they celebrating so hard afterwards :-)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11246

^^^

..Danny Care.. ;)

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #11247

RonanL wrote: Just heard a piece on Galway Bay FM about the Quins players getting in a bit of trouble at the Carlton hotel on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Nothing serious, just noise, and it was all sorted yesterday between the hotel management and the team management. Perhaps it shows how much they wanted to beat us, that they celebrating so hard afterwards :-)

What do people expect when they allow Danny Care to score twice? (and hopefully only twice...)

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #11249

Creedence wrote:

RonanL wrote: Just heard a piece on Galway Bay FM about the Quins players getting in a bit of trouble at the Carlton hotel on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Nothing serious, just noise, and it was all sorted yesterday between the hotel management and the team management. Perhaps it shows how much they wanted to beat us, that they celebrating so hard afterwards :-)

What do people expect when they allow Danny Care to score twice? (and hopefully only twice...)

All the laydeez like a bad boy eh... :ohmy:

It's a nothing story, boozing and a bit loud on a Saturday night in the team hotel.
Oh my, what a carry on... ;)

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by sea_point.

• Creedence
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #11250

sea_point wrote:

Creedence wrote:

It's a nothing story, boozing and a bit loud on a Saturday night in the team hotel.

I'm just surprised some ex-player from the 70's hasn't come on and lamented the drop in standards of behaviour since the game went pro. 'In our day we would have burnt the hotel to the ground and slept in a ditch'.

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Creedence.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #11251

Creedence wrote:

sea_point wrote:

Creedence wrote:

I'm just surprised some ex-player from the 70's hasn't come on and lamented the drop in standards of behaviour since the game went pro. 'In our day we would have burnt the hotel to the ground and slept in a ditch'.

Pretty sure "rent a quote" Gaillaimh was in Limerick... :lol:

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #11252
The following user(s) said Thank You: overstrander

logo