Clan Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Clan Player of the Year 2013

×

Poll: Player of the year

Dan Parks
10 19.6%
Mike McCarthy
3 5.9%
Willie Faloon
23 45.1%
Nathan White
2 3.9%
John Muldoon
No votes 0%
Dave McSharry
6 11.8%
Danie Poolman
7 13.7%
Total number of voters: 50 ( Diom, Megatron, Wasrednowgreen, theCulk, micktreacy ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • ummm,
  • ummm,'s Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 1 week ago #16263

To be honest, for every game he has dictated there has been one where he was ineffectual.


Justice 4 Faruk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16264

ummm, wrote: To be honest, for every game he has dictated there has been one where he was ineffectual.


thats easily the funniest thing i've seen on this forum. knowing you know a good bit about rugby ill guess that comment is a bit taking the piss.

doesnt matter who is catain on the pitch on game day, parks is the guy who says what to do and who speaks to the ref. i know you dont go to home matches but if you could see the work parks does you wouldnt under rate him!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ummm,
  • ummm,'s Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 1 week ago #16265

I'm not taking the piss at all. I'm happy with him overall, but don't think he deserves to be player of the year because there have been games when he has been less than impressive.


Justice 4 Faruk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #16266

ummm, wrote: I'm not taking the piss at all. I'm happy with him overall, but don't think he deserves to be player of the year because <strong>there have been games when he has been less than impressive.</strong>


Not trying to be funny, but can you name a player for Connacht, where this isnt the case?
Personally, I wouldnt pick Parks either. His leadership on the pitch might not be in question, but his performances, while sometimes fantastic, and usually very good, have been poor in a few matches.
I'm still delighted with him

Just reading back on that, and it looks like I mighe just be re-confirming your point.
What I'm trying to say, is that all the players this season, have let themselves down a few times, not just Parks. I actually dont think there has been one, really amazing player all season.
It looks like the award will go to Faloon, yet I picked Dave McSharry as my player of the season

*ramble, ramble, ramble*


@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by ConnachtCows.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ummm,
  • ummm,'s Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 1 week ago #16267

ConnachtCows wrote:

ummm, wrote: I'm not taking the piss at all. I'm happy with him overall, but don't think he deserves to be player of the year because <strong>there have been games when he has been less than impressive.</strong>


Not trying to be funny, but can you name a player for Connacht, where this isnt the case?
Personally, I wouldnt pick Parks either. His leadership on the pitch might not be in question, but his performances, while sometimes fantastic, and usually very good, have been poor in a few matches.
I'm still delighted with him


Not really, but when you're the pivot around which everything usually turns your performances get scrutinised more.


Justice 4 Faruk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ummm,
  • ummm,'s Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 1 week ago #16268

In his defence, though, an outhalf never looks that great when playing behind a beaten pack. And that has happened pretty much every away game this season.


Justice 4 Faruk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Creedence
  • Creedence's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 week ago #16269

ummm, wrote: I'm not taking the piss at all. I'm happy with him overall, but don't think he deserves to be player of the year because there have been games when he has been less than impressive.


I think you may be guilty of holding him to a higher standard than someone who was signed without much fanfare and expectation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • sea_point
  • sea_point's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 1 week ago #16271

Creedence wrote: Not even Willie Faloon comes close to Parks. No contest IMO. He came with loads of hype and he has delivered leadership, points and game sense. Is there a reluctance to go with him because it is too obvious or something?


Parks has delivered what we hoped/expected when you consider the experience he has, but Willie has definitely delivered way more than we could have reasonably expected in his first season. He was released by his native province in a season where they reached the HEC Final, so there was every reason to believe that he might struggle to settle or arrive with the right motivation. But he has been an absolute Monster for us this season when he has been fit, every good as JO'C at his very best which we only see less frequently since his return from Wasps..

The following user(s) said Thank You: rossie, Creedence

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 days ago #16295

Dan Parks all in all has done what it says on the tin, the Leinster game set unreasonable standards at the start as everything clicked, certainly in the Zebre games and Treviso at home he was instrumental in pulling us out of holes we dug for ourselves.

There were a few dubious performances particularly away but all in all a good bit of business. I'd like to see someone challenge him for the 10 jersey next season, whether Ronaldson or Carty can or not may be asking a bit much but it'd be good to see contenders at 10 given next season is likely to be his last.

The following user(s) said Thank You: phatguerilla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 days ago #16298

Connacht have won 75% of home games that parks has played in. Thats 9 out of the 12 lge and hec game played. The two prior to his debut were lost. The games lost with him on field were against munster edinburgh and quins.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 days ago #16299

Sorry thats 70% and 7 out of 10.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • connachtexile
  • connachtexile's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 6 days ago #16303

I honestly don't know why this is being discussed! We all agree that Parks has done a great job but the simple fact remains that at this time of writing 13 people think Faloon has done more to get the award. It's called the democratic process!! :lol:


Stuck in Oz with no slippers
The following user(s) said Thank You: connolly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Darragh507
  • Darragh507's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 6 days ago #16308

these polls are stupid. who decides the players in question?

leaving out marmion and henshaw is weak givien what they have achieved in a short period of time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Creedence
  • Creedence's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 6 days ago #16310

connachtexile wrote: I honestly don't know why this is being discussed! We all agree that Parks has done a great job but the simple fact remains that at this time of writing 13 people think Faloon has done more to get the award. It's called the democratic process!! :lol:


Clearly these people are wrong. Democracy is no barrier to terrible decision making. First it gave us Hitler, and now Willie Faloon.

(only joking, he'd be a worthy recipient IMO, and I think the award will probably mean more to Willie than Dan)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • ummm,
  • ummm,'s Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 6 days ago #16311

If you have criticism, at least make it constructive. The selection process was already explained and calls for additional names were made.

But I suppose it's easier to moan than to get behind and appreciate the numerous people who give up their time for free so that there is a Clan to complain about in the first place.


Justice 4 Faruk
The following user(s) said Thank You: swift4prez, Decadence, connachtexile, Sol_ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Creedence
  • Creedence's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 6 days ago #16312

Darragh507 wrote: these polls are stupid. who decides the players in question?

leaving out marmion and henshaw is weak givien what they have achieved in a short period of time.

Read the thread again.

Last edit: 11 years 6 days ago by Creedence.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

logo